New to R/C & RC10 - Have vintage kit, #6016

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

b0x
Approved Member

New to R/C & RC10 - Have vintage kit, #6016

Post by b0x »

Hey Guys
I am brand new to the hobby level RC world, and am looking to get into it. I was looking at an electric monster truck to start off. Anyway, I mentioned this to a friend and 3 days later he shows up at my door with an old rc10 and gives it to me. It is very very dusty, and he says he has had it 8 years and never used it. The guy he got it from did use it, but I do not know for how long.

The kit is Part Number 6016. The original box is included, although a bit faded. It came with a bunch of spare parts, including 4 spare motors (1 Kyosho, 1 Mabuchi, 2 unmarked, and another in the car, so 5 total motors), springs, tires, wheels, and various nuts, bolts, and suspension parts.

The ESC is totally different, its made by Victor, mounted way up high on the rear shock tower, about as high as it can go. The steering servo is also in a different place, and the front end pieces seem different. The kickplate (did I get that right?) appears to be different than the ones Ive seen pictured... it is wider and has a different hole pattern. The original is also included and appears unused.

The wheels are not stock, and are aluminum 2 pieces (front aluminum, back plastic). Also included is a set of foamy tires with wheels. All of the suspension parts are black, not white, both front and rear. Possibly painted, some of the scratches show white underneath.

The body is pretty beat up, its in 3 pieces (is it supposed to be?) It is light blue with dark blue, purple, and yellow striping. There are some chips and cracks, but it is still usable.

It came with a 7 cell pack, looks original, so I will not attempt to use it. It has no charger. The battery cup is not installed, but is included. The battery that came in it was velcroed in. The radio was forgotten but supposedly on its way. I will have a digital camera soon, and I will try to get some pictures up.

The only issue I can see is that one of the threaded parts on the front spindle is broken off, making it impossible to tighten the wheel. I was wondering if anyone had that part, or if you know of a place that sells them.

I am a complete novice and would probably be happier with a newer model that I could find parts for easier. However, if I can find that part (none of them were include from what I can see) and get ahold of the radio and a new cell pack/charger, I would at least like to see if it works.

Anything you guys can tell me about it would be appreciated, as are tips for cleaning and disassembly.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I'd say if you're looking for a car to drive, you'd be better off getting a newer model. They are easier to find parts for, you'll have less troubles when something breaks, it will perform better, and probably be a bit more durable.

Oh, and please don't do any buying/selling/trading outside of the BST area. :wink:

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

Sorry, I edited.

The part number is 6129 according to the manual. Is this what I want?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LX2521&P=V

It looks right, but the part number isnt listed at tower and I just wanted to be sure.

My next question: How do I get the old one out? Tap it out with a hammer?