Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Halgar wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:11 pm One thing to keep in mind with this project is that the roof isn't visible from the ground, so as long as it's watertight, that's all that matters. 8)
That's more logical and less ranty than I'm used to...
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :shock: Don't tell anybody! :| :| :lol: :lol:

I was gonna post that we're our own worst critic, but that's not true because I'm gonna judge the h . . . e . . . double hockey sticks out of it! :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Halgar wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:57 pm SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :shock: Don't tell anybody! :| :lol:

I was gonna post that we're our own worst critic, but that's not true because I'm gonna judge the h . . . e . . . double hockey sticks out of it! :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's been a while... I think you scared Morrisey0 out of posting pics :P :lol:

On a different note...

Remember going to the mall and cruising by Spencer's to look at their poster selection and dirty joke stuff. Always found this poster funny. No clue why it all the sudden popped into my head...

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Unintentional, but possible. :oops: :cry: :x :lol: :lol:

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Ah, the workshop. The project I thought I would just knock out and move on in life, but now I feel like I am running in circles with it. :roll:

The roof is done I think. The flashing looks all odd as the galvanized reflects the light in a hundred different directions, and I tracked roofing tar all the place somehow, so that looks all pro. The flashing rests on a row of cut, smooth side, shingles (sealed everywhere), and that rests on the layer of peel n stick underlayment, so I feel like I have three good levels of protection. I was hoping to not nail the flashing, but ended up having to do it. It is nailed with ring shanks with a neoprene washer, and into rafters only, so I think they are okay. Oddly, it hasn't rained much in the past week or so, so I have only really tested it with a garden hose.
WS14.jpg

When I was tearing apart the bad wood, I ran into a large infestation of carpenter ants. I was hoping that those that remained in the ceiling would just leave, but they just traveled along the insulation that was still there, and made new homes. So, ended up just yanking down most of the rest of the ceiling. The good thing about this space is that it was built as a home business shop back in the mid-'80s, so it was supposed to be a functional room only, so the sheetrock wasn't mudded, just hung. I will continue this technique and not bother with mudding.
WS15.jpg

I am glad I got slowed down on the ceiling actually, instead of rushing into it, because I thought about the electrical a little more (Halgar was right!). I have never heated or cooled this space because I never used it that much, but it is fully insulated, so why not? So, got out there Sunday and ran a new dedicated circuit for a window unit and some sort of wall heater (unless I figure out the mystery gas line, but that is a different story). So yea, this little outlet is the happiest part of the project so far, because soon, it will all be done in the cool. I also thought I would like to maybe have a small "island" work station, so I want to put a non-switched outlet in the ceiling in the middle, so need to get that done because insulation and drywall. Oh, and I threw the windows in a decade ago, and never bothered to trim them in any way, so I decided to slap some up before sticking the window unit in. May even break out some caulk.
WS16.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

morrisey0 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:39 am (Halgar was right!)
SSSHHHHHHHH!!!!! Don't tell my wife! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Flashing like that does get nailed sometimes when it won't lay flat. It happens. Roof metals are usually painted to match the roof color, or in this case, wall color so that they are less noticeable.

Critters are always a PITA! :roll: You can treat the wood with a borax solution. Mix 1 cup of borax (20 mule team, laundry aisle of the store) into a gallon of hot water and apply with a garden sprayer. Hot water will take more borax into suspension. Borax is nonlethal to humans and pets, but deadly to ants and termites. Be sure to clean out the sprayer after use, as the borax will settle out and clog hoses, tips, etc., as well as leave a crystalline residue on any surface that it is applied to that you won't soon get off. You can always spray commercial pesticides, if you prefer that method.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I stop by a few antique stores on a semi regular basis as I drive for work, and the last time I went by this one store, there was a sailboat hull for $100, and it caught my eye, but I walked past. I thought it was just the hull, and it had some damage. When I stopped by last Friday, it was marked down to $50, and I noticed the tag now said "kit." Then I noticed the robbe boxes and other items sitting on a shelf next to it. It is a robbe Atlantis #1130, and the hull is about 53", and the mast close to the same. It's friggin huge! Not sure if I will flip it or build it, but I couldn't leave it there for $50. I would like to build it as a long term project, but 5' minimum of workspace is a lot to sacrifice. And if I built it, it would just sit as I can't really see myself going to a pond and sailing a boat. I also don't know how complete it is yet, so it may just be a parts lot.
Attachments
ROBBE ATLANTIS 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:19 am it would just sit as I can't really see myself going to a pond and sailing a boat.
I also bought a sailboat on a whim, and almost immediately regretted it. What the heck am I gonna do with a sailboat? It is surprisingly fun! It is sometimes a challenge to get it going and steer it around a course, but also quite satisfying. There is a risk to it too, if it gets far out and the wind stops. :lol:

Mine is a "65", so I am assuming it is 650 mm, nowhere near what you have. :lol: If you do decide to sail it, I hope the sail goes up easily. Transporting it with the sail mounted is going to be nearly impossible. The experts say you shouldn't do that anyway, but I don't race, so I do for the convenience.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

1911Colt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:30 am There is a risk to it too, if it gets far out and the wind stops. :lol:

morrisey0 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:19 am ...it would just sit as I can't really see myself going to a pond and sailing a boat.
1911Colt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:30 am What the heck am I gonna do with a sailboat?
Actually sounds like a couple good candidates for R/C Yachts... how about America's Cup boats... box art style! :mrgreen:

Sail Boats.jpg

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:19 am I stop by a few antique stores on a semi regular basis as I drive for work,
RC finds are hard to pass up, no matter what they are! I posted here about a garage sale Mountaineer that I had found laying across the top of a box of what looked like junk "toy" rc stuff. It was complete, except for the missing the body and a steering arm was broken off the knuckle. Got the whole box of stuff for $50. Went back the next day to see if they'd found the body as they continued to clean out the garage. The guy recognized me and ran out with the original radio for it and just handed it to me. The box of stuff contained the Mountaineer, a Fox buggy, and 3 or 4 "toy" RCs. Sold the fox and toys for somewhere north of $50, so I had a free Mountaineer, something I'd wanted for a long time. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do anything with it and ended up selling it, think I got around $250 for it, I don't remember.

To this day, whenever I go to a thrift shop or garage sale, I've got my eyes open for RC stuff, even though I'm not into the hobby at the moment. I'm thinking about getting back in, at the moment, it's only thinking though.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Halgar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:11 pm I'm thinking about getting back in, at the moment, it's only thinking though.
Go on, do it..... will give you so much more ammunition for the Grumpy Old Man thread...... ;)
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Trouble is, a big part of the enjoyment for me is having outings with friends. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has RCs, let alone anyone with crawler/trail rigs, which is what I like. That means I'm left playing with myself, :shock: er . . . uh . . . by myself. :x :lol: I also like having someone to wrench with, or at least enjoys the hobby enough to keep me company while I do the wrenching.

I'm also a fan of construction RCs, would love to have a few of those, but them things get darned expensive QUICK!! :shock: I'd love to have this beast, but to my knowledge, it never came to market.

D11N.jpg
D11N.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 66 times
D11N.jpg
D11N.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 66 times

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Weird thought as I walk into the garage this morning. Does the rest of the world use metric ratchets :?:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

morrisey0 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:02 am Weird thought as I walk into the garage this morning. Does the rest of the world use metric ratchets :?:
I don't know about that, but all of my adjustable end wrenches are.

Technically, the USA is fully metric, but the populace won't accept it, so everything is converted back to Empirical. That would be why most things here have both units designated on them.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

So 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive, 1/2" drive ratchets. That is an interesting question.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"