Howdy from the NJ shore!

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ShelfRacerGT

Howdy from the NJ shore!

Post by ShelfRacerGT »

Hello all!

I've been a "lurker" for quite some time now... even registered a while ago, but haven't joined into any discussions yet. :?

However, with the introduction of the 10T re-re, and my kids being a bit more of a "self-reliant" age now :lol: , I can get into some discussion now!

Alrighty then!
IMHO, the buggies are cool, but I've always been more of a "truck" guy....specifically 2wd (nitro) stadium trucks. I think my truck affinity is due to my first "real" rc being a Blackfoot, and racing with my father, uncle, and friends... who ALL had Blackfoots or SRV based trucks as well.

My first Associated product was a brand new early RC10GT (white everything, except it had black arms) team kit, w/ the Dynamite .12. That thing has been through a LOT, and I recently freshened it up to run it again, but ultimately decided to put it into retirement and onto the shelf instead.

It's just too sentimental to me now, has some rare parts and nice graphite chassis that's in great condition. I'd literally cry if something bad happened to it. Although I never actually got the opportunity to race one, it was intended to be my "Jato killer" with a hopped up .18CV ... The gearing was 24/54 ( :shock: lol... I just looked at it) and it pulled up through the r's good with the "low profile" foams I had on it. I wish we had one of those gps speedos back then. It was FAST though, and compared to the 3.3 Jato I built last year, I think it really would've been a good race, or even beat the Jato (GT was like 30%-35% lighter too).

Since the 1/10 gas thing has sadly fallen by the wayside, I've been messing around with electric stuff again as of late. I just built 2 "electric" GTs for my son and I to race (unfortunately, he's just not interested). Honestly, they're not bad AT ALL, with the modern brushless and battery tech. Both have Reedy 3300kv and escs out of DR10s, 15/62 gearing w/ 3s and they haul pretty good! They handle really good too.. I think I have them both pretty dialed in now. Every time I take one for a spin, it makes me smile ...a lot! :D

I dunno... I can't force my kid to like it... Is what it is. He seems to care about "basketball" and that's it! lol

What seemed to reel me back in to the rc world, was the whole No-Prep craze. I absolutely LOVE drag racing irl (have plenty of stories for other days! haha). I bought a DR10 and proceeded to replace every component on it, basically until I had all the parts to build another stock one again, AND a whole PILE of aftermarket stuff that "didn't work out" (lmao). It got fast, and it also got expensive; like REAL EXPENSIVE!

My 2nd Reedy 850R biting the dust on me (for basically no reason) was really the last straw. So, I only play with those for pure fun now, as I don't have money like that. I won $1,080 at an "event" in a parking garage one night, though... The pic from that morning is my avatar (if I did that right. haha) . 8)

Anyways.... I have SEVERAL GTs and loads of parts for/from them, and with so much out there in the hobby now and me not having much money, I've decided I'm gonna just stick with restoring those for the most part. I ended up as a single parent over 8 yrs ago, and "life" got in the way for quite a while, but now I'm really looking forward to spending some time hanging out here!

Also, I would absolutely LOVE to get together to race, if I can find a track that's close enough. The "retro" racing REALLY interests me, too and I'd love to participate. I don't really have "buggy stuff" (except a "shelf" RC10CC), but I do have a Junior Two that's in decent shape that I think would be great for that class. My little brother bought it brand new, 30 years ago and ran it like 5 times. Just needs some love, a body and electronics.

Also, I have some touring cars, drift cars and other misc...and of course, if a vintage 2wd truck class got going: I'm there dude! Just a 43 year old dude that's looking to have some fun again. Thanks VERY much for having me!

- Buck "ShelfRacerGT"

ps- sorry to be so "all over the place". I tried to keep it to a minimum!

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Re: Howdy from the NJ shore!

Post by Brendan2904 »

Welcome

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Howdy from the NJ shore!

Post by scr8p »

Not sure about tracks in south Jersey. But in the north, you could get to Crispy Critters in Fairfield, Insanity Racetrack in Boonton, and Dirtrunners in Oak Ridge...... looks to be about a 1.5hr drive to all of them for you.

I haven't been to Critters in a year or 2. Used to go there more in the winter on Sundays just for practice. Insanity is a nice, thinking about heading there sometime this weekend with the fleet. Haven't been to Dirtrunners yet.

Edit:

Rhythym RC Raceway is in Clayton, NJ. South Jersey... a little closer.