Spoked wheels for modern buggies?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Re: Spoked wheels for modern buggies?

Post by Dangeruss »

RogueIV wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:57 pm The issue with Aliexpress is sizes and offsets are always questionable and most sellers dont' post proper information.
RogueIV wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:01 pm Ultimately I'd like to just know the offset of every wheel, and it is crazy to me that many manufacturers and vendors don't give this info.
Yeah, has to do with people not agreeing on where to measure from. Is the diameter overall or from the bead seat... Is the inner diameter from the bead seat or from the inner barrel... is offset measured from the back face or hex seat... etc. etc.

Fortunately the first set of images all came from Amazon so, free returns if you don't like the fit. :wink:

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The JC Racing Egress wheels are 8mm from the front of the wheel to the flat of the hex drive. I think their Kyosho wheels it's around 12-15mm as I know they push Tamiya cars outside the width limit.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Dangeruss wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:35 pm Let me preface this by saying I'm sincerely not trying to be snarky...

Amazon and Aliexpress are going to have the largest selection. Searches like "1/10 buggy wheels" ... "12mm hex buggy wheels" or... "Redcat HPI Tamiya HSP Kyosho WLToys Traxxas wheels" will bring up pages of results. Have to remove the supplied tires (some are glued, some aren't) but for $15 a set the tires are basically free. Just a few from the first page:

I bought a set of those wheels & tires years ago, they're all knockoffs meant to fit HSP/Redcat Racing cars. While they are 12mm hex, they are too big a diameter for vintage RC cars and the wheels are all high positive offset. The rears will rub on your shocks or other chassis parts without using spacers. I personally didn't like them and the oversize just doesn't look right on an Optima, for example.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

As Ive got some of these, I have measured them.

This 5 spoke design has the hex 8.5mm from the front face

These have the hex 8mm from the front face

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:51 am I bought a set of those wheels & tires years ago, they're all knockoffs meant to fit HSP/Redcat Racing cars. While they are 12mm hex, they are too big a diameter for vintage RC cars and the wheels are all high positive offset. The rears will rub on your shocks or other chassis parts without using spacers. I personally didn't like them and the oversize just doesn't look right on an Optima, for example.
RogueIV wants wheels to fit an Associated B6.4, so it's already running 2.2s and can't use old style Kyosho wheels because they would make the buggy too wide.

Regarding offset, its kind of the opposite. Vintage Kyosho chassis are very narrow so use higher offset wheels to increase their width. Just about every other buggy on the market is wider so needs narrower offset wheels to remain under the legal 250mm max width. I run those HSP 5 spokes on my Tamiya Terra Scorcher when racing as my Kyosho wheels make it too wide.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

terry.sc wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:18 pm
Coelacanth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:51 am I bought a set of those wheels & tires years ago, they're all knockoffs meant to fit HSP/Redcat Racing cars. While they are 12mm hex, they are too big a diameter for vintage RC cars and the wheels are all high positive offset. The rears will rub on your shocks or other chassis parts without using spacers. I personally didn't like them and the oversize just doesn't look right on an Optima, for example.
RogueIV wants wheels to fit an Associated B6.4, so it's already running 2.2s and can't use old style Kyosho wheels because they would make the buggy too wide.

Regarding offset, its kind of the opposite. Vintage Kyosho chassis are very narrow so use higher offset wheels to increase their width. Just about every other buggy on the market is wider so needs narrower offset wheels to remain under the legal 250mm max width. I run those HSP 5 spokes on my Tamiya Terra Scorcher when racing as my Kyosho wheels make it too wide.
That's exactly what I was saying. High positive offset has the wheel hubs far out at the outer edge of the rim dishes, while the rim dishes go inwards. These HSP wheels are ALL positive offset, meaning the deep dishes are on the inside, not the outside, which can cause binding issues for some RC cars. If I recall correctly, the HSP wheels are indeed 2.2" but the tires mounted to them are quite a bit bigger diameter than vintage tires. Another issue is the cheap HSP wheels are actually flexible. You can easily bend and squeeze them in your hands. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

terry.sc wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:18 pm

This is what keeps me from just using Turbo Scorpion wheels on newer buggies, they did work quite well on the RC10 though.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

RogueIV wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:20 pm This is what keeps me from just using Turbo Scorpion wheels on newer buggies, they did work quite well on the RC10 though.
I used to run the Turbo Scorpion wheels on my Ultima and RC10, they look great on everything. Until the Iconic Revival introduced a scrutineering box to check sizes and found it was way over the maximum width rule.