New RC Genre

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Russ Winn
Approved Member

New RC Genre

Post by Russ Winn »

It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I wanted to share my latest project... Kyosho Mini Z buggy (MB010). Recently, a new shop, with a track, opened down the street from me. These guys are serious about doing things right, and having a good time with it. I've never considered a 1/24 scale car, due to the size of hardware and the difficulty of working with tiny parts. (I am getting old, which makes it even harder). When I first went into their shop, they let me drive several different models, and I was sold on the buggy.... Here's my little beast. I've installed the Option House aluminum shocks, adjustable linkages, X speed V motor, ball diffs, and foam tires...The car is being run in modified class, and has been a blast. We're running several classes (car and buggy) in both regular and under black light. This is the first racing I have done in 12 years, and I'm finally having fun with RC again....Also, after almost 40 years in the hobby, this is the first Kyosho car I have ever owned.
Mini Z 1.jpg
Mini Z 2.jpg
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

Elkcycles
Approved Member

Re: New RC Genre

Post by Elkcycles »

Is there a reason to run the transponder on the rear wing? Does it need to be higher up for the IR sensor?

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

Elkcycles wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:30 am Is there a reason to run the transponder on the rear wing? Does it need to be higher up for the IR sensor?
The small ez lap transponders work through a light sensor so the top needs to be visible to the timing system bar. You could place it further forward under a clear unpainted portion of the body such as a window but it looks like his are all blacked out. Nice buggy by the way, I also have gotten into mini z on and off road and it's a lot of fun. I found it much more challenging to race them than the common 1/10 and 1/8 size cars. If you've tried it then you know!
Old school racing all the way!

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Elkcycles wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:30 am Is there a reason to run the transponder on the rear wing? Does it need to be higher up for the IR sensor?
I wasn't a fan of mounting the transponder on the wing, but it's an IR sensor, so it needs to be visible. Also, I can remove the body for maintenence, or battery change, without having to unplug the sensor.

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

carloco8 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:09 pm ... I found it much more challenging to race them than the common 1/10 and 1/8 size cars. If you've tried it then you know!
I have found it VERY challenging! ...The last racing I've done was dirt oval with 1/10. I'm having to learn how to drive all over again....BTW, the body was painted in flourescent yellow for black light racing, and all the decals and windows were made on my vinyl cutter.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Have you tried putting it inside the bodywork because IR should be able to go through lexan.

Also have you heard of NRC projects?
Screenshot 2024-04-24 002554.jpg
IMG_20240425_103219679.jpg
I actually raced this against onroad mini-z in the open class last week and it was pretty damn good and posted the 2nd fastest lap of the night.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

RogueIV wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:41 pm Have you tried putting it inside the bodywork because IR should be able to go through lexan.

I did consider mounting the transponder under the body, but I would have to unplug it every time I remove the body. It's more for convenience. ...If I use the Inferno body, there's enough of an opening to mount the transponder over the motor....I'm using the Optima body.

I think the NRC cars are really cool, but I don't have the budget for another one, right now.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Russ Winn wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:31 am
RogueIV wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:41 pm Have you tried putting it inside the bodywork because IR should be able to go through lexan.

I did consider mounting the transponder under the body, but I would have to unplug it every time I remove the body. It's more for convenience. ...If I use the Inferno body, there's enough of an opening to mount the transponder over the motor....I'm using the Optima body.

I think the NRC cars are really cool, but I don't have the budget for another one, right now.
I mean the IR should be able to go through the paint of the body as well meaning you can just mount the transponder to the chassis facing up, not the body.

You can test this theory by using a TV remote behind the body and see if you can control your TV still.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I personally wouldn't mount anything to a wing, it's the first thing that gets ripped off when you wipe out. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3