Hello everyone! Another new member... more old rides

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

civilguy
Approved Member

Hello everyone! Another new member... more old rides

Post by civilguy »

Hello all! I got into r/c in 1985 and raced for a couple years in New Hampshire. I had tons of fun with the hobby and, after a 20 year break, my kids are old enough to join in the fun! Over the past year and a half I pulled a lot of old buggys out of storage and they're all running now. A couple of them were RC10s, so I had poked around the 'net and found this site a while ago. I've finally found the time to join! :)

Here's my RC10 that I've run in vintage class this year. I still run the 6 gear tranny but use the new black idlers and I've got RPM rear arms fitted as they retain less dirt. Those are Duratrax rears-- they hook up nice on the local track. I'm actually racing Proline waffles on the front as they are my personal old school favorite, but the ribbed fronts photograph well. 8)
FYI I did not paint the body. I had someone do my three racers in a scheme similar to my 1:1 ride. I'll wrench all day, but I've never had the patience for the paints! :oops:

Here's a scan of how it looked in 1987, complete with nerf bars, Dynamite rears and Fox front tires:

I also have an RC10 that was set up for carpet-- it even has dozens of holes drilled to lighten the load!! :roll: This is a cell phone shot of when I first got it going after a long hiatus.... It has since had a Futaba MC112B with a Kyosho LeMans 240ST fitted for that true vintage feel! ;)

Well, I look forward to poking around on here. I'll also try to get some more pictures of my RC10 'stuff' posted up. Thanks for looking!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

odorcide

Re: Hello everyone! Another new member... more old rides

Post by odorcide »

Some nice looking rides you have there, how did you get that carpet prep'd RC10 so low?

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

odorcide wrote:Some nice looking rides you have there, how did you get that carpet prep'd RC10 so low?
The shocks have fuel tubing on the shaft inside to limit travel-- then you just have to adjust the turnbuckles to get proper camber. There's about 1/4" of ground clearance. ;)
I just ran it yesterday for the first time on a real carpet track. I didn't have any tire dressing, so it was slippery but I found a decent groove and wasted two 4500 packs playing! :D
Thanks!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Welcome to the forum. My web filter won't let me see the pics but I look forward to checking them out when I get home.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

defsaturn501

Post by defsaturn501 »

Nice rc10s! I am absolutely lovin the 80's lookin paint scheme on the first buggy...waaay cool

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

Your carpet car is so fine. I used to run mine in "gearbox class" at club races. Did you mount and true the rears yourself?

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Actually I think the foams were premounted, but the rears in the pic are Duratrax rubber slicks on original 3 piece wheels. I have the matching front slicks on Tamiya 1.5" fronts (Grasshopper) and was using CRP front stub axles (with metric bearings) when I first got this out- rubber all around with the intent of running at a local paved oval. I was in the process of switching to foam (as I had a chance to go to a different track) when this picture was taken. That was a few months ago-- I didn't make it out then but I finally did this week! It was a blast from the past. :lol:

When I raced in the 80s it was mostly indoor/outdoor green carpeting or roller skating rinks, so foam wasn't very big locally. We ran pin tires (Dynamite, Tamiya, Duratrax) for one night at most-- once they lost the tips they were useless on our tracks. I have boxes of 80% tread tires for my kids to play with now! :wink:

Thanks for the comments!
Jeff

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Hey civilguy,
welcome from one newbie to this board to another. That carpet ride looks tuff! And thanx for the memories...grew up in the 80's along with that paintscheme :lol:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!