Gifted an old RC10. Restoration Process

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JoeP
Approved Member

Re: Gifted an old RC10. Restoration Process

Post by JoeP »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:24 pm DuBro ball links were a common swap for ball cups and they did need trimming for clearance.
Those seem to be them. So now the question is... How much do I want to be faithful to the restoration?... I feel like giving that this was a free car, maybe it just makes sense to use the parts he had on it. Once I buy all of these original ball ends and rod parts I'm going to wind up being in for quite a bit of money since I still need to buy chassis parts.

If I find that I enjoy driving and using it, I could always pick up the correct parts I guess

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

If you're planning to drive it, I would use the ball links first before replacing them. Back in the day, they cost more than replacement ball cups and were used because they didn't get sloppy from wear as fast as ball cups did. They were an upgrade, but usually needed some trimming in tight clearance areas.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

JoeP wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:53 am What would you all do here? Is it worth trying to get a replacement piece for this suspension mount or could I possibly hack something together with epoxy, a file and a new screw hole drilled? I did see that guy on Facebook is selling the reproduction parts but it seems like he is in the UK and I'm not sure where it's going to wind up costing me to get a single piece of plastic shipped. Is there any online store that has these parts or am I going to have to find an individual printing them?
You can try out the repair. This part mounts with 3 screws and should be able work as long as the other 2 mount are fine. Fill the gap with some JB weld, tap out the hole. if you can use some slightly longer screws and add thin nuts on the top to help keep things secured. The fan RC reproduction parts are great, but you may as well try with what you have.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

JoeP wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:27 pm
Frankentruck wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:24 pm DuBro ball links were a common swap for ball cups and they did need trimming for clearance.
Those seem to be them. So now the question is... How much do I want to be faithful to the restoration?... I feel like giving that this was a free car, maybe it just makes sense to use the parts he had on it. Once I buy all of these original ball ends and rod parts I'm going to wind up being in for quite a bit of money since I still need to buy chassis parts.

If I find that I enjoy driving and using it, I could always pick up the correct parts I guess
As long as you have all of the parts you need you should keep the parts you have. They are considered an upgrade over the stock ball and cup. The vintage ones are known for shattering.
All the little bits add up when doing a restoration.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

JosephS wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:32 pm
JoeP wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:53 am What would you all do here? Is it worth trying to get a replacement piece for this suspension mount or could I possibly hack something together with epoxy, a file and a new screw hole drilled? I did see that guy on Facebook is selling the reproduction parts but it seems like he is in the UK and I'm not sure where it's going to wind up costing me to get a single piece of plastic shipped. Is there any online store that has these parts or am I going to have to find an individual printing them?
You can try out the repair. This part mounts with 3 screws and should be able work as long as the other 2 mount are fine. Fill the gap with some JB weld, tap out the hole. if you can use some slightly longer screws and add thin nuts on the top to help keep things secured. The fan RC reproduction parts are great, but you may as well try with what you have.
Thanks, I may try... anyway it cant hurt. If it doesnt work I just toss it.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

@Frankentruck @JosephS Thanks for the info. The way they were chopped up had me thinking they were just junk that someone retrofit. If they are good to go then I will just use those.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

Do any of you know the specs of, or a source for more of the tiny screws that hold the bearings in the gears? I should have 8 but I somehow managed to lose 4 of them after cleaning my workspace :|
The KNK hardware set did not include any unfortunately.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

0-80 X 3/16
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:22 pm 0-80 X 3/16
Do these seem correct? https://www.asmc.net/0-80-x-3-16-fine-thread-socket-button-head-cap-screw-stainless-steel-18-8/ I am having quite a hard time confirming only because of fine vs coarse threading. Also they are mega expensive on certain sites.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

For screws this small, the reality is it's all fine thread. Also it's going into nylon which accepts whatever thread type for that screw size.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

Back with a quick question. I'm finishing up the rear end and noticed that these pins are extremely loose in the rear axles. According to the instructions, they should have been hard to insert but they pretty much slip right out. I'm assuming these need to be really tight in order to keep the axle from slipping out of the hub. Should I order new ones?
Attachments
PXL_20231109_223825272.jpg

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

Oh and one more thing. I do not have the felt seals for the two sides of the transmission. Is that a required part or can I do without it? Can I maybe just cut some felt from the hobby store into a washer shape and use that?

Oh and here is the current state. Got a bit distracted building a TT02 kit but I am back at this now. Missing more parts than I originally thought. Need to buy body mounts eventually. And then also missing one of the 2 plastic pieces that sit on the felt seals as well.
Attachments
PXL_20231109_224121860.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Did you decide against doing the outdrive bearing mod? That no longer requires the felt seals.

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:47 pm Did you decide against doing the outdrive bearing mod? That no longer requires the felt seals.
You know .. I totally forgot about that. Going back to remind myself now. Thanks