The Most Expensive Tamiya Ever??

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

The Most Expensive Tamiya Ever??

Post by morrisey0 »

This is local to me, so it pops up in my usual RC search every day.

I just don't know what to think here...................

I currently own three 1:1 vehicles that cost less than this!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/303136404944609/

From ad:
This Ferrari 360 Modena based on the Tamaya TRF414M was commissioned by Ferrari and given as a gift to owners of 360 Challenge race cars, limited to only 199 total units. I'm located in Richmond VA but can ship.

This one is brand new, never used. Includes the car, Ferrari leather carry case, remote, charger, two batteries, decal kit, four extra wheel/tires, instruction manual/parts book in a red binder, two certification documents from Ferrari and a few other misc spare parts. The entire lot of parts is made to fit into a drawer that slides under the car inside the Ferrari carry case.

$3800
Attachments
tam $ 10.jpg
tam $ 9.jpg
tam $ 8.jpg
tam $ 7.jpg
tam $ 6.jpg
tam $ 5.jpg
tam $ 4.jpg
tam $ 3.jpg
tam $ 2.jpg
tam $ 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Re: The Most Expensive Tamiya Ever??

Post by MarkyDents »

Have you read the description and looked at all the pics ?
I just did and totally get it. I’d just much rather be the one selling it then the one wanting it :lol:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Yea so the 1:1 car you bought, (and got a 1/10 car as a gift) was a track only race car. $175k back then……
I’ve got a feeling your not going to see too many of these pop up for sale.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Yeah, that seems like a lot for an RC.
I reckon the value for this model comes from its exclusivity, documentation and elaborate packaging.
Honestly, I think most Tamiya's are overpriced anyway. It seems like they are made to fail.
I could never pay 3800 for this but I reckon there are collectors out there who would -- and probably already have.
Anyway, it's an interesting item, thanks for posting it here.
Doug

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I question how the seller came up with the price? Did they just make it up in their head? It seems like an awful lot even for what it is. If someone buys it for that, I don't feel as if they would be getting any kind of super deal. You also have to look at the future value. Would it ever increase that much to be worth it as an investment? It just seems like the far end of the spectrum price point wise. The seller could also just be using the age-old selling tactic of putting a really high initial price on something. Especially when it's something they don't need to sell. There's always the rare chance someone will come along and pay it. Prices are negotiated down so some start off unrealistically high in the off chance they get it.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

For $3800, you'd think the guy could at least install some body posts that aren't hacked off at the tops...or is that how they came out of the box? :roll: Pass.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

Man... I wish I had the cash to buy this and put a stupid brushless setup in it and make everybody angry.

nitrous36
Approved Member

Post by nitrous36 »

Hahaha nice. I was expecting something much nicer for that price. That could by you a good used car or motorcycle lol

RadStuff

Post by RadStuff »

Hey all, I'm the nut thinking he's going to set a price record with his Tamiya :lol: Looks like some good discussion, glad you all found it as interesting as I do.

Regarding price, I assumed it is probably more valuable to go to the owner of a Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale or Challenge race car who wants to make their collection more complete. It seems like the best Challenge in the world is fetching around $380,000, so I figured 1% of the price of the real car seemed reasonable if you wanted to make yours cooler than the next guy's buy having the matching rc car with it. But I understand to someone who wants it purely for its value as an RC car, the asking price is probably a bit crazy. But, that said, I've seen some people asking around $1,000 for just a bare used chassis TRF 414 M with no components (not sure if that's actually market price or they are just equally crazy), and this is 100% brand new never turned a wheel, with spares. Also, while I can't confirm the leather case was made by Schedoni who made the luggage for the 360, it appears to be matching color and quality, and Schedoni Ferrari leather products themselves can fetch a big price.

How I got it was, there was a sale of a large exotic car collector's collection. All of the people with the real money picked up the millions of dollars worth of cars, but there was some cool memorabilia I picked up, including this. I haven't been able to find much info on how these were sold/allocated. They are numbered XXX of 199, I forget what # mine is off hand, and 199 would match how many Challenge race cars were supposedly made. But I don't know if each owner was given one, or was given the opportunity to buy one or what. Looking at past sales of Challenge race cars, I've never found one that included the rc car, so if they were given with each purchase, I'd have to think at least a couple would have retained the rc car along side it.

On the posts, everything is as it was originally delivered by Ferrari/Tamiya. It only came with a european charger, so I've added a US adapter. Also, the two original batteries no longer held a charge, so I've included a new battery. I connected it and confirmed all motor functions work as they should, and did so on a stand, so its still never been driven.

I've entertained the idea of putting this on Bring a Trailer, or submitting it to one of the regular automobilia memorabilia auctions, and just seeing what it might fetch if a few Ferrari collectors wanted it. But that said, if anyone here is interested, feel free to make me an offer, I'd love to see it go to a good home.

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

Well I think if it’s what you're after you’d pay the money. Really well presented with a huge amount of history behind it.

Let’s be real here if a yokomo YZ10 with no history- that’s been beat up can sell for upwards of $2500 and beat up old gold pans selling for $700-800 why shouldn’t this un-used limited edition sell for the asking price.

Good luck with the sale👍🏼

Seanster43

Post by Seanster43 »

I’ve seen Tamiya original black Porsche’s go for more tbh. This is really nice. Have you had any genuine interest?

RadStuff

Post by RadStuff »

Seanster43 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:22 pm I’ve seen Tamiya original black Porsche’s go for more tbh. This is really nice. Have you had any genuine interest?
I took that listing down a while ago, so it wasnt up for sale all that long. I had a few people inquiring who thought it was awesome but no takers.

Seanster43

Post by Seanster43 »

I guess it’s just waiting for the right person to come along at the right time

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Another popping up in my area: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1426102401461391/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Acca78423-24f0-4339-9a70-6a8149a4840f

Can't imagine paying $1600 for a modern plastic chassis Tami, and then finding out the wheel wells look like they were cut by a 12 year old. I mean, seriously, I can't cut wheel wells worth a crap, but 2 minutes of sanding clears that right on up. And the front wheel wells on this model aren't even cut at the same height side to side. If all you are paying extra for is a body and wooden box, they should be done better than this!

Oh, if you are on the west coast and want one, there is one on ebay for $2125: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314024691771?hash=item491d54883b:g:-7UAAOSw2NJinFLi&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAKS1G3fm4BNCSKGsAEevCEL7LCOB4dEIExZh3zzXOrGBSxGeBb5y2cwYQG0l68afDQ1CJH5oSSHID03momCBYm3PYLzoLKrd0wqZ6O5nPcE4wWKTdnEZcfQxYDPovvHg1MB9CsHjq5xs2RlCoiVTgeXzI%2FPnyM4ikyGnRxzKD4wokr4EH4%2FKZCWoDwXqI%2FfdUVPhirFF%2FRxw8QtHmFHyz1CT7kSVBgbtn4CdK5QisdGC9DCLPjQhWf8na2AT2PmAzX6sEvu3Cs5PjUryy0EnJi05lKD4BEqAyvdnFj6d2hBoeHg5E5iup8mkmh0zNgIeqRw3Ds6rnzs7M7LrDGtc3qQ%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMnoiDkv1h

I know, I know, "1 of bla bla."
Attachments
TAMIYA 9.jpg
TAMIYA 8.jpg
TAMIYA 7.jpg
TAMIYA 6.jpg
TAMIYA 5.jpg
TAMIYA 4.jpg
TAMIYA 3.jpg
TAMIYA 2.jpg
TAMIYA 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

But at least the front and rear tires are different. It at least has that going for it.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"