ae rc8

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

ae rc8

Post by badhoopty »

i know it aint vintage...

but all the same what do you guys think of associated finally committing to producing an 1/8 scale buggy?

i know NOTHING about the 1/8 racing scene and who makes the best ones, but all the same i'm pretty stoked ae is making one.
i've been curious about a 1/8 buggy for awhile as a replacement to the gt's for just a fun nitro rig. as long as it aint a total letdown like the mgt i may be getting one.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I know nothing about this 1/8 AE buggy, and I know little about 1/8 buggies to begin with. I had an Ofna buggy for short while, but that's it. Having said that, I think it RULES! 8)

Seriously though, I have totaly faith that if AE makes a big gasser, it will be second to none.

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

Yeah but it could be a re-badged Thunder Tiger buggy........

Hopefully not though.

carloco8
Approved Member

Post by carloco8 »

This is gonna be a hardcore 1/8 gas buggy for sure. I heard the only parts from TTR are the 3 diffs. Anything 1/8 off-road gas is where the current racing scene is at, so its about time ae jumped in.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Personally, I'm really tired of the 1/8th buggy fad, as well as the giant monster truck phase. I think the RTR market is killing racing, and making weekend events a thing of the past. It may be great for sales (because people are too lazy and/or stupid to build their own kits), but it's ruining racing as I have known it for 25-odd years.

There is one track that races anything in this area, and the center of thier universe is 1/8th buggy, indoors and outdoors. It sucks. 60-70 buggies/truggies/muggies on a Saturday, and everything else gets ignored.

Maybe I'm jealous, but if you are not a nitro fan (I hate them, especially indoors), you get hosed.

Associated Electronics: the Volkswagen of the R/C world. A day late, and a dollar short. Cool products, but after the market has been flooded and saturated, it's hard to gain a foothold.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i hear ya about ae always being a day late and a dollar short... when it was rumored ae was making a nitro monster truck i was jazzed, and then to see what they released, fake resevoirs and all, i was VERY dissapointed. same thing with the rc18, i'm sure its a neat little rig, but for the love of god why not make a 1/10 4x4 offroad buggy instead of following the darn mini trend...?

i wouldnt call them the vw of the rc world, but then again i dont know much about vw. i think they are like gm... gm ignores the true brand loyals and ignorantly follows what the majority consumer wants to get the easy buck. i can tell you for a fact i've bought my laast gm unless the new camaro is somehow a freaking bulletproof supercar. but i'll bet ya gm does the least amount of actual work possible, cheaps out on materials and releases something thats just good enough instead of truely trying to make a car thats nuts and bolts above the rest.

anyway, if i got a 1/8 buggy it would strictly be for park bashing. i've never been a fan of the tmaxx's and revos, but i think a low slung 1/8 buggy would be pretty fun to rip around. my gt's are fun, but i'm pretty sure a big buggy would flat out own a gt.

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

badhoopty wrote:....fake resevoirs and all, i was VERY dissapointed. same thing with the rc18, i'm sure its a neat little rig, but for the love of god why not make a 1/10 4x4 offroad buggy instead of following the darn mini trend...?
anyway, if i got a 1/8 buggy it would strictly be for park bashing. i've never been a fan of the tmaxx's and revos, but i think a low slung 1/8 buggy would be pretty fun to rip around. my gt's are fun, but i'm pretty sure a big buggy would flat out own a gt.
I read on the radiocontrolzome forums once that AE and Losi have some kind of agreement that AE won't produce a 10th scale 4x4 offroad buggy. I dunno if it's true, could ba awhole lotta bull just as well.

I hear ya when you talk about 8th buggy over all the MTs don't own one, but if I go there it's gonna be a brushless conversion.
*** POWDER - KING ***

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

man, you guys that dont like nitro are really missing out. dont get me wrong elec/brushless is cool and all but there's something about cooking with gas... the only thing i truely despise about nitro is the cleanup... ack!

i think i may have also read that same post where somebody said losi and ae had some sort of gentlemans agreement on a 1/10 4x4 buggy. but if thats the case, why is losi making 2wd buggies? i've also read the argument that ae doesnt feel its worth the expense to develop a car for an already over saturated market, but i read that in response to why they werent making 1/8 buggies...

i'm pretty ignorant to rc current events, but i think apex hit the nail on the head when he said they simply wait too long to serve something up, and when they do its just pretty much the same thing as everything else available.

since i've never owned a 1/8 buggy i cant really comment on what would be a good design or a different one. i would just like to see something that holds up well and looks neat. i'd get one even if it wasnt the top performer simply out of brand loyalty if it proved to at least be a decently put together rig.

what i really really really really wish is that ae would re-release the team car... if nothing else just so we'd all get some factory fresh parts. the rc10's 25th anniversary is coming up real quick, it'd be kill for ae to give a nod to the rig that really made them who they are today.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'd bet if they came out with an anniversary edition, they sell like hot cakes.

doubt it would happen, though. :(

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

scr8p wrote:doubt it would happen, though. :(
yea, i'd almost bet the farm they dont... :?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

if they would do it, even if they didn't do an exact replica of the origional gold tub, you know, the gold anodizing, white parts, i think building an exact replica of the car, using the composite or graphite material they use today would be pretty slick.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

either that or do up a b4 with a special gold alum chassis and white parts... :wink:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

badhoopty wrote:either that or do up a b4 with a special gold alum chassis and white parts... :wink:
and call it the b25th. :)

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

badhoopty wrote:i hear ya about ae always being a day late and a dollar short... when it was rumored ae was making a nitro monster truck i was jazzed, and then to see what they released, fake resevoirs and all, i was VERY dissapointed. same thing with the rc18, i'm sure its a neat little rig, but for the love of god why not make a 1/10 4x4 offroad buggy instead of following the darn mini trend...?

i wouldnt call them the vw of the rc world, but then again i dont know much about vw. i think they are like gm... gm ignores the true brand loyals and ignorantly follows what the majority consumer wants to get the easy buck. i can tell you for a fact i've bought my laast gm unless the new camaro is somehow a freaking bulletproof supercar. but i'll bet ya gm does the least amount of actual work possible, cheaps out on materials and releases something thats just good enough instead of truely trying to make a car thats nuts and bolts above the rest.

When I was still racing in 1999 (RC10GT tub, RC10T3 and a Mugen MBX4 [pre-RR]) 1/8th was just getting started in my club. The 1/8th buggies were flat-out awesome, but this was also before every hick in the trailer-park could buy an RTR OFNA at Wal-Mart... :shock: I quit running when the RC10GT RTR came out. Kind of made every round a crash-fest. *sigh* :(

I bought the MBX4 because the AE guys were running them... It's now another shelf queen... only raced five times. Complete with Novarossi B21SBK, Airtronics 94737/738 servos, Lunsfords, MIP CVD's, a ton of tires and wheels etc...basically $1000 worth of crap that's now worth $150... :cry:

Go AE/TT... :?

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

apexspeed wrote:Personally, I'm really tired of the 1/8th buggy fad, as well as the giant monster truck phase. I think the RTR market is killing racing, and making weekend events a thing of the past. It may be great for sales (because people are too lazy and/or stupid to build their own kits), but it's ruining racing as I have known it for 25-odd years.

There is one track that races anything in this area, and the center of thier universe is 1/8th buggy, indoors and outdoors. It sucks. 60-70 buggies/truggies/muggies on a Saturday, and everything else gets ignored.

Maybe I'm jealous, but if you are not a nitro fan (I hate them, especially indoors), you get hosed.
Wow, that's a pretty stuck-up, ignorant thing to say. You think the only reason people buy RTR's is because they're stupid and lazy? How about the fact that a lot of people just can't afford to buy the kit and all the other stuff separately? You must be rich, because to a lot of people spending a ton of money on something they aren't sure they will even like that much just isn't practical. You talk like you were born with a radio in your hand, wasn't there ever a time when you didn't know a lot about R/C? What's wrong with starting off simple? Some people don't know a lot about mechanics, there's nothing wrong with that, and the fact that they want to get into a mechanical hobby just goes to show that they are willing to learn, and there's definitely nothing wrong with that. I think it's people like you who are ruining this hobby, people who will sit there and verbally trash another just because, for whatever reason, they bought a RTR. The way you talk about RTR's would be like me saying the the reason you hate nitro is because your too stupid and lazy to learn how to tune an engine.