Part #: 6579 (Associated Diff Drive Rings) : This item has been discontinued

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Re: Part #: 6579 (Associated Diff Drive Rings) : This item has been discontinued

Post by Frankentruck »

Yeah, I got straightened out.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Brocklee
Approved Member

Re: Part #: 6579 (Associated Diff Drive Rings) : This item has been discontinued

Post by Brocklee »

Is there any word on how the McMaster Carr diff rings are doing? I've got to rebuild a diff in my rc10 ce Ive thrown together for a vintage class we're getting put together.
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

With my set, I also threw in sets of diff balls and tie bolt thrust balls from McMaster Carr along with the rings. I was struggling with getting the diff smooth and flipped over the McM rings once. Now butter smooth. Maybe they have one side smoother than the other? I haven't run my 10T yet so no comment on durability. But the diff sure feels right.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

For mine I used old diff balls and thrust bearings because they had not had much use. My diff is nice and smooth with the McMastercarr rings. Due to the weather and the fact I still need new bellcranks I have not ran mine yet but I don't believe there will be any problems.

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

I went ahead and ordered a set of the McMaster Carr rings listed earlier (https://www.mcmaster.com/90482A432/) and they seem to measure the same +-.002" in all dimensions except for the thickness. The McMaster Carr rings measure .005" smaller. I did have to sand a few manufacturing groves out of the rings using 1000 grit sandpaper but they weren't very deep (you can see them circled in the attached picture after a little bit of sanding). I'll run it around the house a little bit and see how they do! I may end up racing it the first weekend of April if everything goes well!
Attachments
IMG_20220306_150709__01.jpg
IMG_20220306_151906_Bokeh.jpg
IMG_20220306_151817.jpg
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

Brocklee wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:29 pm I went ahead and ordered a set of the McMaster Carr rings listed earlier (https://www.mcmaster.com/90482A432/) and they seem to measure the same +-.002" in all dimensions except for the thickness. The McMaster Carr rings measure .005" smaller. I did have to sand a few manufacturing groves out of the rings using 1000 grit sandpaper but they weren't very deep (you can see them circled in the attached picture after a little bit of sanding). I'll run it around the house a little bit and see how they do! I may end up racing it the first weekend of April if everything goes well!
I just ran a pack through the car and everything seems normal which is good! When rebuilding the diff I broke it in somewhat on a drill before putting it in the car and after the running a battery through it I noticed it did loosen up slightly but that is all normal. I'll report back after I take it racing on the first week in April!

guitronics
Approved Member

Post by guitronics »

Well Brocklee -

How did the McMaster - Carr "Rings" work?

We're all waiting to know!!! :D

guitronics
Approved Member

Post by guitronics »

I don't know about the hardness...I have read about it, but I still can't compare levels...

https://www.mcmaster.com/washers/id~1-2/od~3-4/thickness~0-025/

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

guitronics wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:24 am Well Brocklee -

How did the McMaster - Carr "Rings" work?

We're all waiting to know!!! :D
Sorry I completely forgot about this! The diff seems to be holding up fine! The car has about 7 race days on it without any issues. This is with a 17.5t motor in the car