Old Optima and Ultima mods?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: Old Optima and Ultima mods?

Post by DennisM »

http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/legendary/pdf/30625-ULTIMA_ex.pdf
Page 3 shows the transmission with it´s numbers.

The Transmission housing You have, is UM-3 not UT-002 - Unless You´ve bought in the past year as an UT-002.
AND they´re not the same :-D

Here´s a link to a discounted 2019 Ultima. Buy that, build it, run the snot out of it and harvest the transmission for Your vintage Ultima.
https://www.rcmart.com/kyosho-1-10-ultima-2wd-buggy-car-kit-ep-30625-00085078

(admin, sorry about the link if it´s against policy?)
Gone fishing

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Merlin wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:26 am as for the OT-74 limiter gear set, that is the pinion gear with a built in clutch right?? I got three of those in my old parts box one is melted :) :) :( the other two are very lose!! thinking back to those days these things did not work that well either!!
Aluminum and plastic gears did not last very long no matter what you did back then.
No, what you're talking about is the Option House pinion gear clutch bell, which never worked very well and I'm not surprised you melted one. :lol:

The OT-74 limiter gear is the counter gear, installed on the outside of the gearbox plate and meshes with the motor pinion gear. If I remember correctly, it has a reverse-threaded lock-nut to adjust it. Everything you wanted to know about it was discussed in this topic I made many years ago:

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17162
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Well I found all the parts for the tranny build about $91.00
I am half way thinking of just buying that new kit and just using it for parts! But I have already spent close to 140 on this ultima now
new 8.4v 5000mah battery a new charger for that battery and it does charge li-po battery ESC and new front steering and all

I think I figured out my ESC problem my radio is an old futaba magnum jr. and the receiver does not look to good and the antenna wire is cracked well the coating on the wire.
Same with the futaba steering servo! Good lord the cost now days for a good transmitter receiver and servo

I found this kit on scalpBAY why do i say that for Xmas my son wanted a asus geforce rtx 3090 for his gaming computer retail $1500. to 1800. scalper bot buy them all up in the first few seconds of being posted online then with in two hours
they are listed on ebay for 2500. to over 3000.

sorry my BAD! VENT VENT still can't get that Card

i found this on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KYOSHO-ULTIMA-Diff-Gears-Final-Pinion-Gear-32T-KU6/133268327567?hash=item1f07694c8f:g:sCwAAOSwUrZd6K-i

It look like they are steel pinion gears and all that?? they say they are all new but taken off of new cars???

New KYOSHO ULTIMA OFF-ROAD RACER
Complete Diff Gears Set 53T
Includes Internal Final Pinion Gear 32T

is this worth buying or the wrong parts??

Bill

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

That's a tough call....it might fit with a few tweaks. Worth a try for 30 semolians
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thank You DennisM

i found these at Kyosho America .com

https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/UT009S-Motor-Plate-ULTIMA_p_26191.html

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I´ve included screws and motorplate in the links above.
This should give You a complete transmission.
Gone fishing

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thanks

Just got done ordering all the parts for the new tranny, and a new futaba 3pv I know it is not a high dollar radio/transmitter! Along with all this and the new parts on the steering this i have to do some more mods to get this front upper plate from this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RC-Kyosho-Ultima-Pro-UM-45-Upper-Chassis-Plate-Set-3K-Carbon-Fiber/293757017191?hash=item4465485c67:g:tC4AAOSwh-lfcTiY

Nice thing about being over 60 now when the wife pisses me off, I do not feel bad buying things that get me out of the bad mood she got me into so.
I got this to boot Castle Creations Mamba X Sensored WP ESC + 1406-4600KV CSE010-0155-01
I also got a new body coming and a airbrush kit this is on the cheap side so what it will do???
Maybe if I ever get to retire ?? I think this will not happen the way things are going!!!! But maybe I can be 60 ????? whatever going on SixTeen again ??? Well at least in my mind :(

So I hope this project will turn out great !!! Unless someone has a Super Charger or Dual Turbo Chargers that can be mounted on a 540 motor :) that would be cool go past a radar cop at 200 plus MPH and have him or her wonder what car just went by that fast??

Happy New Year and every one be safe ya ya ya I'm late

Bill

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Better stock up on spares if You mount that motor with a standard pinion.
My guess is somewhere around 50mph on tarmac.
Gone fishing

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Dennis

From what I have read about programable ESC at lease on the Castle X Mamba? Well i think i have read it right, you can program the ESC to Not hit that hard or go that fast!!????
In a way it will be like governing the motor or in the real world like taking a corvette with dual 4 bbl carbs and with a key cutting or turning 1 carb off !!
So if this can be done can you not take any motor and if you have a good programable ESC and lets say if the motor you have is set at max rpm's lets say 10,000 rpm's can you not cut it back to lets say Half??
5,000 rpm's???
then I have also read that with some ESC brands you have to stay with that brands Motors you can't use other motors with that ESC!!
This Castle Mamba X you can use brushed or brushless motors you can use different types of batteries and you can use different brand motors!

I know I am not up on all of the new stuff out here for the RC buggy world but I did try to read all that I could. If I got this all wrong or if none of this can be done with this setup? could you please tell me were I made the mistake?
I see that you only said upwards of up to 50mph !! but I was thinking of underworking this motor to the speeds that this Ultima can currently do or maybe little less.

Also may I ask about batteries for this kind of setup what would be the best way to go? the LI-PO battery or the nimh batteries?
my old nimh 8.4v 1200mah batteries still work and hold charges but only last like 4 or 5 minutes. I got 1 new 5000mah battery and this last way longer!
I will try to read about this next!

BIll

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

lipo period! forget nimh
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Well my youngest son was looking at my Ultima today and, Said dad that is cheap you need a rock crawler like mine
So this is not a RC rock crawler but is you sub a ESC for a person??
this looks kind of not so tall but the nose of the hood is like 5 feet from the ground. He also has tires that are bigger then these for the big climbing he and his buddies do
I have to us a cooler to get into this dam thing and I am over 6 foot tall

Bill
Attachments
Jeep2.jpg

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

If You promise to program Your ESC so that You´ll only have 66 percent of it´s full flow, You should be good :-)
Gone fishing

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

When I first got into this they did not have ESC's back then, it was what the car came with. It was like two or three month later the first Speed controllers started hitting the markets,
and the tracks, we found out the cheap one's did not last long and the good one's were like gold. I got two cheap one's the one on the Optima lasted the longest! Then Novac came out with an ESC.
I still have that one and it still works but it only has forward. how thing change over time kind of makes a wonderment what people can think of building to make things work better or last longer or improve on what was made before!

Bill