1/8 Tekno buggy to monster truck project. :)

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BloodClod
Approved Member

1/8 Tekno buggy to monster truck project. :)

Post by BloodClod »

I've thought about doing a fun basher monster truck in the style of the old kyosho nitro USA-1, where I use a 1/8 buggy platform as a base for a monster truck.

I didn't want it to look like some of the more "modern" monster truck bashers which use low profile tires and have really low slung bodies... I'm sure they perform great but they don't really look like monster trucks to me.

I have a Tekno EB48SL electric buggy that doesn't see any use, so I decided to see what could be done.

I quickly realized the hardest part would be wheels and tires. 1/8 buggies use a 17mm hex and there are just no easily available solutions to mount more monster looking wheels and tires!

I decided I'd try to mount kyosho twin force tires which use a 19mm hex. Managed to design some adaptors to mate the wheels to the buggy axles and so far they have held up to some test runs.

Here's the tires on the buggy chassis. The dimensions are very similar to modified clod busters so it'll fit shells available in the market.

IMG_03072020_235638_(800_x_687_pixel).jpg

I printed some parts to fit body mounts on the shock towers and rummaged through my old bodies and found this old clod crawler body which I'm going to use. She's banged up, but I like the old school look and it's free! Lol.
IMG_03072020_235654_(800_x_602_pixel).jpg

The motor I had in the buggy isn't going to work with the big tires so I've ordered a cheap 1/8 motor rated at 2000kv which I hope will be just right on a modest 2S battery.
IMG_03072020_235646_(800_x_749_pixel).jpg

The buggy suspension looks like it's going to soak up bumps easily and I'm digging the stance that this truck has.

Just a fun basher project but I thought I'd share it here. :)

Steve71
Approved Member

Re: 1/8 Tekno buggy to monster truck project. :)

Post by Steve71 »

Hey BC good to see you are here on this site as well. Tires have a good look on there. With those big bore shocks I'll bet that is gonna handle pretty well.