Arms - Andy's vs RPM.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

zzzubbb

Arms - Andy's vs RPM.

Post by zzzubbb »

Guys,

Please forgive my ignorance, I am mainly a yokomo man dabbling in unknown territories now:

I have been looking for some black arms to complement an impending CF DHawk build.

I wonder if you guys could tell me what is the difference between these arms as there seem to be a few different types, referred to as narrow (presumably original) and wide track (assuming this is worlds spec)....

How rare are these things, I seem so to be able to get RPM and OEM, am I correct in saying Andys are like hens teeth..?
I think the Andys look the best, and would opt for these if i can get my hands on a set, otherwise the RPM ones.

Andy's;

RPM;

OEM

jwscab

Re: Arms - Andy's vs RPM.

Post by jwscab »

andys are not manufactured anymore. The picture of the andys arms is not visible for me, so not sure which ones you are referring to, as they had a few different ones. You can still find them here and there on ebay and such.

the rpm ones shown are the 'new' style; rpm made the old style, which were essentially the same as the 'team' arms length and almost identical to the andys (rpm made them for andy).

they are the same width as the black associated arms you show, so either set would work fine for what you want to do.

the last arm is the original style 'short' arm, which is available easily due to the re-re production. generally they handle not quite as well in all conditions as the longer arms.

one other item that you don't have here but are related to the arms-the front spindles with the inline or trailing axles. the trailing axles go with the short arms, the inline axles go with the 'team' or long arms.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I've always run RPM over the years, good stuff for sure.

zzzubbb

Post by zzzubbb »

Thank you for your valuable help.

From your response I can gather that i am looking for;

Front : RPM (old style) or Andy's

Rear: RPM or Andy's

Thank you.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Also note that the Andy's were developed to give a wider front track when only short stock arms were available. They were designed around the 0.56 front shocks and original shock tower. They only have one hole to attach the shocks where the RPM ones were designed around 0.71 shocks and longer front shock tower, and have 3 different positions to attach the shocks. Both Andy's and RPM ones were also available in white.

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

RPM molded Andy's parts. Richard Royall (RPM) did an interview a few years ago and mentioned that tidbit. Of course S&K eventually marketed Andy's parts.

https://www.rccaraction.com/classic-plastic-richard-royall-rpm/
The official TX SKUNK

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

jcwrks wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:59 pm RPM molded Andy's parts. Richard Royall (RPM) did an interview a few years ago and mentioned that tidbit. Of course S&K eventually marketed Andy's parts.

Thanks for sharing the interview article!

Having been a kid/teenager during the golden era of off-road R/C most of the business end was lost on me. It is amazing to come to find out how small of an industry it was and the amount of collaboration and partnerships that took place.

I am curious if after Richard Royall and Andy Jacobson parted was when Mike Houge started work with Andy on his trailing arm kits and pro race kits. I had an email exchange with Mike Houge awhile back and he indicated that he did all of the molds and molding for Andy's RC.

Also curious if anyone knows the history of the interactions between Andy/RPM and Team Associated at the time. If I remember correctly Andy's wide track front arms were out for quite awhile before Team Associated started producing essentially the same arm with the team car.

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

duckhead wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:13 pm
jcwrks wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:59 pm RPM molded Andy's parts. Richard Royall (RPM) did an interview a few years ago and mentioned that tidbit. Of course S&K eventually marketed Andy's parts.

Thanks for sharing the interview article!

Having been a kid/teenager during the golden era of off-road R/C most of the business end was lost on me. It is amazing to come to find out how small of an industry it was and the amount of collaboration and partnerships that took place.

I am curious if after Richard Royall and Andy Jacobson parted was when Mike Houge started work with Andy on his trailing arm kits and pro race kits. I had an email exchange with Mike Houge awhile back and he indicated that he did all of the molds and molding for Andy's RC.

Also curious if anyone knows the history of the interactions between Andy/RPM and Team Associated at the time. If I remember correctly Andy's wide track front arms were out for quite awhile before Team Associated started producing essentially the same arm with the team car.
Andy claimed that he gave Associated some prototype wide front arms for one of the World's (possibly '91), and shortly thereafter AE came up with their own design.
The official TX SKUNK