Advice on new RC for my kid

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

gigem94

Advice on new RC for my kid

Post by gigem94 »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and stumbled onto the site because I have my original '87 model Associated RC10 (A type) that my son and I pulled out of the closet a few weeks back, bashed for a while, and lost one of the parts along the way. I quickly realized how limited the parts are for that car, and thankfully got pointed in the right direction from helpful folks on this forum.

My son (12) is now interested in RC cars after running my vintage for a while, and I want to provide him the same experience my dad did for me and buy him his first RC kit car that he can build, run modify, etc. My challenge is, I don't know the market at all and was hoping some folks could help me pick a reliable brand that he would enjoy building and running. He's not going to race it just take it up to the nearby fields and run it off road with the little jumps and bumps. He's starting from scratch so we'll need the car, charger, batterys, etc to get him up and running, but I wouldn't mind spending a little more where it makes. All I know is Team Associated RC10 and the Grasshopper and Frog from back in the days when I was his age, but I'd appreciate any and all guidance ya'll want to provide.

I do have a hobby shop in town and I think they are a Traxxas dealer and think that is all they carry, although I haven't ventured in. There's prolly a few other hobby shops around I could hit too, but thought I'd find some solid guidance here. Also, I don't mind buying online too if it makes sense, but am not sure of any reputable hobby shop sites.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: Advice on new RC for my kid

Post by Basher67 »

Traxxas makes some great stuff, like the Stampede, which I think gives the most fun for the dollar, but its all ready-to-run. If you want him to get the building experience, which I think is fantastic, the Tamiya kits are still a great way to go. With all the rereleases, even most of the vintage stuff still has parts availability.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

I concur with basher67, yes the traxxas will get u going quick but will lose interest possibly cause its not hands on as much as a new vintage build. Tamiya Hotshot, Super HotShot, SuperAstute, Avante etc. are all cool and classic with tons of parts on Ebay. Then there is Kyosho which has alot, like the Optima line which has Javeline, Turbo Optima..... and now the Ultima has come out, not to mention the Scorpion line. U can run a cheap 17.5 or 13.5 brushless setup in all those cars. Schumacher even has cool classics. Stay Vintage!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Derek hit on all the kit options, but of all the mentions, I'd go with the Ultima as it's not all plastic, it'll handle modern brushless power, it's not as complex as the 4WD versions, and it just looks great. Ultima re-re would be a great choice.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Great advice, I couldn't agree more. I think the Ultima re-re would make a great modern buggy for your son. Building the car is part of the fun, it's educational and essential
to understanding how the car is assembled and how it functions.
With all the improvements (metal gears, etc.), the Ultima is going to be tough as nails and even if it does break (unlikely but certainly possible), parts are readily available and reasonably price imho.
Traxxas also makes good products, they're rugged and parts availability is not a problem. As Basher has pointed out, only downside is that they're RTR.
Doug

gigem94

Post by gigem94 »

So an interesting update for ya'll...I showed him the Traxxas Stampede and online videos. He was mild in his response, so asked him his why. He told me he really wants a buggy style car like the RC10 because he loves that style of car and the truck just isn't as 'cool-looking' and when the buggy style runs, its kicking up dirt and dust looks awesome. Guess I understand that cause I remember that same feeling when I saw the RC10 at his age.

I just looked at the Ultima and I think it will fit the bill nicely; I'll show it to him tomorrow. He for sure wants a kit to build he said and that just seems so helpful for future upgrades and repairs.

Seeing that I need to buy a motor, ESC, steering servo, radio, battery, and charger - what would ya'll recommend on those? Was thinking Lipo and brushless, but priority would be longer run time and faster charging.

Appreciate the help very much.

gigem94

Post by gigem94 »

Well I checked around and it seems there are only a few local hobby shops and those that deal in RC Cars are only TRAXXAS dealers, so I called amain hobbies and spent and hour and a half talking with a super helpful rep on all the elements that would be fitting for an entry level setup. Thanks for the help on the Ultima suggestion, it's gonna be a fun project and experience.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Ultima was my second rc back in 86'. Me and my brother shared it, this was before it won the ifmar champs, rc10 was king of the hill at the time. Its single handedly is the reason i am still obsessed with rc today.....vintage and new kits :D but my true passion lies with vintage
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

What a great suggestion! I’m glad to hear you are going with it.
Chris

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Absolutely! The Ultima would be a great choice.