The Track Rat is up and running (my first)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dabigboy

The Track Rat is up and running (my first)

Post by dabigboy »

I bought this on the 'bay as a beat up but complete and operable buggy. Took it all apart for a rebuild/refurb (not quite proud enough to call it a full resto). My plan was to make a good fun runner. Upgraded to a Futaba 4PLS radio, 4370kv brushless, and JConcepts tires. The included body was unpainted, but a little chewed up, which was fine for me to practice my painting skills on (this was my first attempt at painting a Lexan body).

With the brushless and a 2S lipo, it's FAST. Also understeers like crazy under power, though part of that may be my tires. I was under the impression that the JConcepts RC10 vintage tires would be fine on the stock 3 piece wheels, without glue, but the rears have been difficult to keep on, and the fronts didn't even try (see pics). I've switched back to the original front tires for now. I don't see how the new front tires could ever be secure on stock wheels, with or without inserts, unless I glue them. Even then, they are so loose and floppy on the wheels, I don't see how they could be good for handling.

Once I get the wheel situation sorted, I'll be ready to get more into the tuning, and of course have plenty of bashing fun. The rebuild was really enjoyable, I'm already thinking about a second RC10 project. :)

Matt
Attachments
IMG_1970.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: The Track Rat is up and running (my first)

Post by XLR8 »

That's a really nice looking runner Matt.
The issue with modern tires and vintage internal bead-lock wheels is that modern tires are thinner and much softer than the vintage ones they've replaced - hence the need for foam inserts. I'd reckon that the materials characteristics of modern tires plus that hot 4370kV brushless motor means that you'll still need to use glue to keep them on the wheels.
I've always like those three-piece wheels - it's a shame that they still require glue to retain the tires. I recycle my wheels when it's time to replace the tires so I really hate the mess and hassle of gluing tires.
Doug

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Very clean looking Stealth CE :)

I would not consider the 3-piece wheels and buy some re-re's for running.

I have lost track of what is the latest and greatest re-re wheel option but there are better ones out there now :)

Best,
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

those tires are supposed to fit the original jelly bean wheels or the jconcepts hazards. they are smaller in diameter than the 2.1/2.0 wheels you actually have. They are intended to be used with inserts and glue because they are soft. I'm not sure now that after squeezing them on the larger wheels that they will work on the intended wheels, but you could try.

95% of current tires are 2.2", and need the correct wheels to fit them. the best two options are:

jcracing(UK) for direct fit 5 spoke 2.2" wheels in yellow white or black that fit the 1/4" taper axle.
you can use a factory works hex adapter for 1.4" axle and use traxxas e-revo 1/16" wheel either jconcepts rulux or a traxxas wheel for the rear. tra7171.

for the front, you can use a b4 front wheel with bearings, although the offset isn't perfect, the re-release worlds car had extended axles that are practically extinct now. lunsford makes them still they were originally for the rc10gt. things have been drying up quicky for NIP wheels though.

you can also just dig around ebay and try and find b2/b3 front wheels as well, used more than likely.