My RC10 World's Re-Re Pre-Build Q's

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Re: My RC10 World's Re-Re Pre-Build Q's

Post by GoMachV »

Their new cars are metric, but the older cars and the rerelease are proper :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

GoMachV wrote:Their new cars are metric, but the older cars and the rerelease are proper :mrgreen:
eeek! I knew I wasn't hallucinating...Knowing that, I may just use my home depot allens to get through this build instead of buying a set of the fancy stuff... :D

Thanks for the clarification!
- Jack

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

GoMachV wrote:Their new cars are metric, but the older cars and the rerelease are proper :mrgreen:
Well....My home depot allen key set did not have the .050" needed for the set screw for the suspension build...

Voila!

Sexy.. hope I use it for more than 1 car!

Then got distracted and wanted to support my LHS:

Addiction must stop! :P
- Jack

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Finally some progress!

Really glad AE included a few extra 6299 E-clips...I broke one and crossed my fingers that there were extras...
- Jack

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

howaboutme wrote: Really glad AE included a few extra 6299 E-clips...I broke one and crossed my fingers that there were extras...
I miss the paper roll e-clips

Looking good so far.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

RC10th wrote:
howaboutme wrote: Really glad AE included a few extra 6299 E-clips...I broke one and crossed my fingers that there were extras...

Looking good so far.
Thanks!

Question for all..

Set screw 6951..Is that only meant to lock 6223 in place? This is step 2 on page 6 in manual. I am a bit unsure of the reason for it. Thanks!
- Jack

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

howaboutme wrote:
RC10th wrote:

Looking good so far.
Thanks!

Question for all..

Set screw 6951..Is that only meant to lock 6223 in place? This is step 2 on page 6 in manual. I am a bit unsure of the reason for it. Thanks!
I think the set screw is used to lock the kingpin in place in the axle carrier, and to form a cross structure in the carrier for added durability. It also looks to serve as a second safeguard in the event that you lose an e-clip.

I picked up an extra package of e-clips just in case:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2770

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Q for all:

One of the diff balls (6581) is deformed. I has somewhat of a flattened end. At first I had trouble placing it inside the diff gear as it was falling right through. Then I discovered the problem. I ended up being able to make it stay in the gear at just the right angle....I think I know the answer but is this okay or should I ask AE for a set of new balls?

Thanks.
- Jack

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Definitely don't use it. Any very slight imperfections will cause it to feel gritty and likely slip. If your in a hurry, I'd buy a set of balls off eBay. 3/32 is a very common size but I'd recommend using all from the same source. Don't mix and match. I don't even mix between different bags of the same mfr because tolerances can change during production

Side note, that part number is for carbide balls. If you buy cheap ones on eBay they won't last as long. Carbide are worth the extra few $$
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

GoMachV wrote:Definitely don't use it. Any very slight imperfections will cause it to feel gritty and likely slip. If your in a hurry, I'd buy a set of balls off eBay. 3/32 is a very common size but I'd recommend using all from the same source. Don't mix and match. I don't even mix between different bags of the same mfr because tolerances can change during production

Side note, that part number is for carbide balls. If you buy cheap ones on eBay they won't last as long. Carbide are worth the extra few $$
Thanks, yep the kit comes w/ the carbide. I don't plan on buying a thing. I'll wait for AE to send me a replacement. (I've never had to deal w/ them but I assume their pretty good w/ issues like this? I would not be happy to have to buy them myself.)

Build will have to hold off or I'll move on to something else in the meantime. Disappointed of course. One day I will get this up!
- Jack

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

My experience with replacement parts has been good, but there was never a communication back to me that parts were coming. Don't be surprised if you just magically receive the parts after submitting proof of purchase. They will need a receipt, digital is fine.
Factory Works website

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Thank you. I just sent AE an email w/ my receipt and this picture.

I'm not sure if you can zoom to 100% but AE can because they will have the JPG and at that size, you can clearly see the deformation. I think you can see it even w/ this picture.

Hope to get a replacement soon. I'm already taking too long! :|
- Jack

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

If you want to use the car just leave the bad ball out and take one out directly opposite, it won't hurt anything.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

RC10th wrote:If you want to use the car just leave the bad ball out and take one out directly opposite, it won't hurt anything.
Thanks for the info. I'll be patient and wait for replacement.
- Jack

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Got my diff balls today! Not bad, got an email back from AE on Monday and received it cross country today....Now back to the build.
- Jack