Optima is back!!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

terry.sc
Approved Member

Re: Optima is back!!

Post by terry.sc »

Coelacanth wrote: I wonder what they're using for a battery? Finding a LiPo pack that fits in the original Optima's battery receptacle is now damn-near impossible. Years ago, I managed to find some Gens Ace 2S packs that were very close to the original 8.4V NiCad pack dimensions, but even those required some minor filing down of the plastic battery holders in order to fit. Modern 2S LiPos--shorty or otherwise--don't even come close to fitting without major modifications. Furthermore, 8.4V NiCads were too long to fit inside the Optima body...the Turbo Optima had a wider body to accept the longer packs.
The battery in the pictures is a standard size Team Orion Rocket 7.2v Nimh Pack. It's not a lipo.
The nimh pack in the photo is 138.5mm long, any square lipo pack can be no longer than 139mm to be homologated for racing, and all will be the same size as the nimh pack in the photos.

The modern battery holders have been redesigned specifically to use lipos, Kyosho states that the chassis is designed for lipo.
K.30617_45.jpg
If you want to fit lipos in the original shaped battery mounts all major battery manufacturers make rounded packs that will fit straight in, for example from Hobbyking, Reedy, Team Orion. Schumacher even sell a Core-RC stick pack which is 5mm shorter, so it will fit into vintage car battery compartments while modern nimhs are too big. We have the situation where a modern nimh pack is too long to fit an old RC10 battery tray, while the Core-RC lipo will drop straight in.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

terry.sc wrote: If you want to fit lipos in the original shaped battery mounts all major battery manufacturers make rounded packs that will fit straight in, for example from Hobbyking, Reedy, Team Orion. Schumacher even sell a Core-RC stick pack which is 5mm shorter, so it will fit into vintage car battery compartments while modern nimhs are too big. We have the situation where a modern nimh pack is too long to fit an old RC10 battery tray, while the Core-RC lipo will drop straight in.
None of those will fit the original Optima battery holders, unless you file the curved ends of the holders completely flat. Those batteries are all ~46 - 47 mm wide; the battery I bought (and only barely fits in my Barney car after filing down one side of the battery holders) and linked previously is 41.89 mm wide. Furthermore, the Gens Ace I bought barely squeezes inside height-wise at 18.82 mm; all of those you linked are 23 - 24 mm thick. The only way those will fit is if you remove the original battery holders entirely.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Post by mugenbulldog »

Venom 15085, $33 at tower and others, rounded and short enough. Also has nifty battery connectors to use with anything. I bought two when the re-re scorpion came out, I use them in that and my optima runner.

Returning_Jim
Approved Member

Post by Returning_Jim »

Why are foam inserts included for the rear tires only (according to the Kyosho UK site)?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm a tad embarrassed today! But honestly, the fault is in the specifications of the Gens Ace battery I bought at HobbyPartz.com...the specs they list for the battery, and the specs I was going by in this discussion, are WRONG. I have two of these:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4000-2s1p-hardcase-direct.html

The specs are listed as: Size: 139.18 * 41.89 * 18.82mm (L * W * H)

I got out the calipers last night and measured the damn thing...it's actually close to 46mm wide and 23mm tall. D'oh! :oops: I have no idea why the Gens Ace specs are so far off...but I apologize for disagreeing based on my assumption that the website specs were in fact correct.

That said, the batteries suggested by Terry and others should all work for the original Optima, except that you will still need to file down the curved ends of the original battery receptacles so that the wider LiPo batteries will fit snugly. (This obviously isn't necessary with the re-re Optima, the battery holders are already flat.)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Returning_Jim wrote:Why are foam inserts included for the rear tires only (according to the Kyosho UK site)?
Now that´s a good question :D
It´s only meant to be ran on sand :mrgreen:
Gone fishing

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Probably just wrong info, it would be very strange to see this actually being true
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Let´s talk shocks :mrgreen:
On the box, they´re described to be with 12x38 stroke capacity.
Gone fishing

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Just found out about re-release. Was hoping for the Turbo Optima Mid SE but baby steps, baby steps. Just preordered from AMain, quick seach yielded a $25 off coupon. I can hide $274.99 from the wife. :wink:
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

harvey
Approved Member

Post by harvey »

The hype surrounding this re release is very exciting! I know this is an iconic model and has an important place in R/C history, but I am curious as to whether those who have driven Optima's before would recommend it as a runner? My track gets loose and dusty in the summer, so I'd bet the rear motor could be good for traction, but given the upgrades included would anyone suggest it as a durable everyday driver? I like vintage, and have many RC10's. When the Scorpion was re released I had to get one, and it's a great quality kit which I enjoyed building very much. As a runner the performance is decidedly vintage, so I'm worried that the Optima would handle in a similarly sub-RC10 fashion.

Grunger73
Approved Member

Post by Grunger73 »

esaresky75 wrote:Just found out about re-release. Was hoping for the Turbo Optima Mid SE but baby steps, baby steps. Just preordered from AMain, quick seach yielded a $25 off coupon. I can hide $274.99 from the wife. :wink:
I added the cheapest item I could find to my order to make the total $300+ and used the $30 coupon.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

harvey wrote:The hype surrounding this re release is very exciting! I know this is an iconic model and has an important place in R/C history, but I am curious as to whether those who have driven Optima's before would recommend it as a runner? My track gets loose and dusty in the summer, so I'd bet the rear motor could be good for traction, but given the upgrades included would anyone suggest it as a durable everyday driver? I like vintage, and have many RC10's. When the Scorpion was re released I had to get one, and it's a great quality kit which I enjoyed building very much. As a runner the performance is decidedly vintage, so I'm worried that the Optima would handle in a similarly sub-RC10 fashion.
Actually, the Optima kicked RC10 butt back when they were able to race together (4WD up to that point couldn't compete with RWD)...and probably resulted in segregation in the classes, separating 4WD from RWD cars. On the loose, bumpy tracks of that time, the Optima was a serious competitor. The problem was maintenance; before the belt conversions appeared, you were always needing to tighten your chain, and the original final pinion gear in the gearbox wore out too fast. Maintenance was a bit of a pain in the ass, the car wasn't quick & easy to work on.

Some of those weak points were addressed in the re-re, from the looks of it...so I'm guessing if the car was run on surfaces similar to back in the day--loose dirt, bumps, jumps (but not 4-feet-tall table-top BMX jumps like these days)--it would perform admirably as a runner.

EDIT: Just a few days ago, somebody posted some scans of the international race where Optimas took 8 of the top 10 spots...the scans were a bit small and not easy to read, but the article showed how well the Optima performed back in '85...or was it '86? I can't for the life of me find that post again! :x Can someone link it, or PM me if they remember where those race scans were posted?

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Coelacanth wrote:Just a few days ago, somebody posted some scans of the international race where Optimas took 8 of the top 10 spots...the scans were a bit small and not easy to read, but the article showed how well the Optima performed back in '85...or was it '86? I can't for the life of me find that post again! :x Can someone link it, or PM me if they remember where those race scans were posted?
You are probably referring to this thread?
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=39658
Cheers
Joel

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

j0pp3 wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:Just a few days ago, somebody posted some scans of the international race where Optimas took 8 of the top 10 spots...the scans were a bit small and not easy to read, but the article showed how well the Optima performed back in '85...or was it '86? I can't for the life of me find that post again! :x Can someone link it, or PM me if they remember where those race scans were posted?
You are probably referring to this thread?
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=39658
That's the one! Thank you. Luke offered to send me the original scans so I'll be able to read it without squinting. That was probably the peak for the original Optima, race-wise.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

This is good news