carbon chassis tub for rc10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

coxy-ben
Approved Member

carbon chassis tub for rc10

Post by coxy-ben »

hello !

I have asked fibre lite for the molded carbon tub chassis...

here is his answer :

"Dear Benoit

Thank you for your enquiry.

This is a part we made over twelve years ago. It is a moulded part and unfortunately the mould is too badly damaged to re-use. It may be possible to re-make from an original but as a one-off it would be too expensive because of the work involved to make the mould.

Can I ask how many you require because a few days ago we received another enquiry about the same part which seems funny after so many years of nothing. It may be that a group of you can club together for the part and split the mould costs between you.
Best Regards

Jen Hansell
Hansell Composites Ltd
Unit 3
T.Dicken ind est
Station Road
Stokesley
Middlesbrough
TS9 7AE
ENGLAND

Tel 0044(0)1642 713129
Fax 0044(0)1642 713577"

what do you think about it ???

Benoit.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I think it's a very bad idea :D I would ask them the price of the mold first, then see how many of us are interested in buying one, then ask them for a quote and see the final divided price, I'm afraid it will not be cheap...

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

You could count me in on a couple..... the thing that I would personally be afraid of is that we all pay the mold price (which I agree will not be cheap) and then they run a few more tubs, then put them up for sale. That would be one heck of a deal for them, but I personally would not be interested in subsidizing the mold cost for them to sell a ton more. I am all for keeping stuff collectable...... just my personal thoughts..... to each his own.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Wow, a company that is willing to work with it's customers. That's cool.

However, I'm a bit leary of reproducing what is now a collectible piece. When they start re-making them, the originals will not be worth as much, they won't be as special (which is why they'd be remade in the first place) and all the remakes will likely never even see use on a car other than a shelf queen.

I'm not for reproducing old parts. Unless they are stamped as such.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Well I am not shelf queen guy... actually I am a bit, but I like to DRIVE my cars... The thing is that I am after the kits that I could not afford being a kid but that made me looks at magazines for hours....

I do keep a couples of queens just because I don't have enough spare part :D So I would be in for these tubs.... at least a spare, and one for driving...

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i cant remember who, but wasnt there was a dude on clodtalk (maybe a different site) that was trying to get the same thing going with fibrelite a few years back? and for some reason i think that they did make some more tubs back then, but my memory on it is fuzzy.

anybody else remember that on ct? i'm sure the guy went around to other sites if he was motivated.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

btw, i tell ya what i'd like to see remade or something similar is the darn real racing tuber rc10 chassis...

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

found the post on ct:
http://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=10746&highlight=carbon+fiber+rc10

i seem to remember more talk about it than that though...

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

badhoopty wrote:btw, i tell ya what i'd like to see remade or something similar is the darn real racing tuber rc10 chassis...
YEAH! I AGREE BIG TIME MAN! I've been trying to get one of those for quite a while! They're sick nice!

They end up so expensive on ebay that it would probably be better to have someone custom make one!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I'd be in for one, if they weren't $200.

I just realized that I used their front arm spacers for 12th scale cars. Nice pieces, but it never dawned on me that this is the same company. Duh.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

AYKBOBCAT wrote:
badhoopty wrote:btw, i tell ya what i'd like to see remade or something similar is the darn real racing tuber rc10 chassis...
YEAH! I AGREE BIG TIME MAN! I've been trying to get one of those for quite a while! They're sick nice!

They end up so expensive on ebay that it would probably be better to have someone custom make one!
i've actually been sitting on a tuber project for quite a while... the same guy who makes sweet scale 4x4 tubers (hulkwerks) is gonna make me a little scale looking buggy that fits underneath a protech lid. i've gave him the deposit and everything, i just keep procrastinating on it and cant make up my mind on the design. all i gotta do is send him a buggy, a lid, and an idea... maybe i'll throw that together tonight and ship it to him while i'm visiting the mom. i needa send some other things out to people anyway. (HATE shipping stuff)...

i guarantee you it will be sweet and little more fancy than the real racing chassis. i DIG the real racing chassis but you can most definitely get something built for cheaper.

speaking of rc10 tuber builds, i know of someone who started working on one a loooong time ago but i wont mention any names.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

badhoopty wrote: speaking of rc10 tuber builds, i know of someone who started working on one a loooong time ago but i wont mention any names.

8) Shhhhh, be very very quite. I'm hunting wabbits.

After the holidays, that thing on the back burner is getting moved into the blast furnace. I've got everything I need, except the one most important part. Time to get out the sketch pad for the wizard.

I need to get it done, it's just collecting dust. That, and my TMS dually are going to be two very special RC10 projects. Stuff I've never seen before, and I've seen a lot of stuff. :lol:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

MelvinsArmy wrote: 8) Shhhhh, be very very quite. I'm hunting wabbits.
lookin forward to seeing progress on it...

i didnt know you had a dually. maybe i did but forgot. u pick that one up off ct awhile back?

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I got it from Monsterbeetleguy off RC10talk. I'm getting my tower list together for it tonight. I've got some great old school parts for it already. I hope to get most of the TMS finished in the next couple weeks, then give it a paint job in the spring when the weather warms up and I can spray on the fire escape. I'm sure I'll post some pre-paint photos though, I doubt I'll be able to let it sit that long without showing it off. 8)

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

I already asked Boyer to make me one... I just need the $$$