Can someone explain to me...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

abailey21
Approved Member

Can someone explain to me...

Post by abailey21 »

Ok, so as all of you know with modern ESC's, chargers, radios pretty much everything can be tweaked and programmed with a PC. I've been a Mac user for the past 9 years and love it. I'm not an A-hole fanboy that says mines better than yours but Mac just works better for what I use, ditched cable and got an apple TV, been using and iPhone for years, iPad's Macbooks you name it. I found that even though Mac's are more expensive they last way longer than any windows PC I ever owned in the past, 9 years, and zero upgrades before I started replacing my laptop and desktop.

But I have this E-Revo out here on deployment with me and wanted a single servo setup which required an external BEC, and it has a castle ESC all of which need a PC, Tekin RSX in my B5 needs a PC, some hobbyking setups for projects need a PC, so I bought a PC and had it shipped out here.

It's a pretty basic HP laptop because honestly i'm only using it for RC related stuff, cost me about $175 and came with windows 8.1.

My problem is the OS, wtf is wrong with Microsoft? I haven't really used a PC other than Win XP, and basic work stuff on Win 7. Why the heck is 8.1 so terrible? Why are the menu's so complicated and cluttered? Why am I asked 6 times if downloading the castle link software "really what I want to do" and why does a brand new PC need two days to update? Why did I have 127 "security updates", why not just give me the latest one which should incompass the previous 126? Why if the PC needs MS NET framework, doesn't it come on it? I downloaded Firefox and was politely given an extra 12 programs that I didn't ask for, nor did I want. I didn't want McAffee to automatically download and start asking for my CC info so I can pay for the service.

I spent the first two days updating this pile of crap, and the third day uninstalling half of it.

/Rant over

CamplinP
Approved Member

Re: Can someone explain to me...

Post by CamplinP »

If you want simple find windows 7 and do a clean install. Win 10 has potential to be better but I think a lot of compatibility with older hardware and programs is lagging. Plus Win 10 forces updates on you. There are some drivers for hardware that I want to keep for one reason or another but 10 won't allow that. I think that sucks because more than once I have updated a driver and it messed things up so I rolled it back to a stable one. Oh yeah, Win 8.1 does suck. I rolled back to 7 while 10 gets ironed out.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

I have the option for win 10 here, it would take all night to download, I just wanna make sure the castle link software will work with it first

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I feel your pain. I bought an all-in-one HP PC a few years ago that has Windows 8 and it's terrible. Everything is so damn cryptic. I still have a PC with XP and another with Vista, both of which are so much more user-friendly than 8. The PC I'm on now with 8 has crashed countless times over the past few months for no reason. And every time a new update installs, it crashes. Which usually cause a temporary user profile and I have to delete it and find the original user files. And the app store crashes which means I can't even update to 8.1. :evil:

I've never owned a Mac but used one occasionally in college. But I'm sure they can't be worse than a PC with Windows 8. :lol:

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

My home and work PC's both use Windows 7. My kids have laptops with Windows 8. I LOATHE and detest that operating system. I get that they were trying to make it more user friendly but they failed (miserably!) I mean, who would EVER think to go up diagonally in the corners to get the control panel menu up??? I gave up and downloaded a program that gave me back the start button.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

I setup my castle BEC, and ESC and I've put that computer away until the end of the year when I get home and can download Win 10. I'll give it a few months but yeah, I refuse to use it.