YZ What??

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ralphee
Approved Member

Re: YZ What??

Post by ralphee »

Im no expert, and my knowledge is limited on Schumacher cars, but could the Team Suzuki parts be, for a Schumacher chassis, didn't some of them have one ways in the front shafts, Bosscat from a hazy memory?? Terry is the man for that, always love reading his posts, a true encyclopaedia of RC knowledge :D

lee

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Fitting that hub on a Schumacher CAT from the 80´s would require quite some modifications.

It could have been for the stock built 870c/ C4 witch didn´t have the oneway.

Another possibility could be the Tomy buggy´s
Gone fishing

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I am not an expert in setup, but I do remember there being a handling difference between the layshaft oneway with ball diff, and a locked layshaft with dual wheel mounted oneway and a ball diff. Unfortunately I don't remember the actual difference but I know there was a reason for it

That oneway on the front wheel hub setup with a spool was used on the 834b yokomos as well as the Dominators and other dirt oval cars
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

In touring racing, we would run 1 way front diff, and 1 way layshaft sometimes. Reason was to eliminate the draggy front belt friction when off throttle. So, when braking, the rear wheels were completely isolated, and the front end was as free as a 2wd. Very sketchy setup, but super fast with a good driver. Im not exactly sure of the reasons for other 1 way combos,, but probably has alot to do with reducing front belt drag, and affecting front diff action when exiting the corner under power.

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

DennisM wrote:Fitting that hub on a Schumacher CAT from the 80´s would require quite some modifications.

It could have been for the stock built 870c/ C4 witch didn´t have the oneway.

Another possibility could be the Tomy buggy´s
Ahh, Tomy, could be Dennis, but then it makes sense on a stock 870c too, yeah don't know jack about Schumacher cars, never been a fan TBH so just threw that brainfart out there lol.

lee

_timmy_
Approved Member

Post by _timmy_ »

ralphee wrote:I was going to say how much i hate the boxy Yokomo body shells, but that Fastrax is a winner TBH Timmy, makes the car, a nice little jewel in this cars crown!

lee
I'm with you all the way Lee, its like a boxy yokomo shell on steroids, the little kick up on the roof, the way it kicks out at the sides towards the rear, really nice little touches.

The yellow wheels will have to go when it goes back together, a set of whites will compliment the body more, i've got a pair of rear team suzuki hubs coming to match up the front hubs, the blue again will pick out the paint on the bodyshell. Finally, will need to source a new rear wing as the one on the cars knackered, i'm thinking it needs to be white........i can see it all already!

_timmy_
Approved Member

Post by _timmy_ »

gomachv wrote: That oneway on the front wheel hub setup with a spool was used on the 834b yokomos as well as the Dominators and other dirt oval cars
Thinking they may have possibly come from an 834b or dominator i did a bit of a search on the web. Managed to find a bit of info on the dominator one way hubs, but they dont appear to have been mounted on u/j's and feature the standard yokomo 2 bolt wheel attachment as opposed to the team suzuki-esque 17m wheel nut attachment on the ones i have....... :?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yup- I just meant the design :mrgreen: but compatible I bet
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

gomachv wrote:I am not an expert in setup, but I do remember there being a handling difference between the layshaft oneway with ball diff, and a locked layshaft with dual wheel mounted oneway and a ball diff. Unfortunately I don't remember the actual difference but I know there was a reason for it

That oneway on the front wheel hub setup with a spool was used on the 834b yokomos as well as the Dominators and other dirt oval cars
MIP also used these or there version of a one-way hub. And we took mip axles and installed them on the 870c universals for use on the yokomo.

Team Suzuki also made a universal and one-way set up for the 1993 "Works".

Team Suzuki (middle of top row)

_timmy_
Approved Member

Post by _timmy_ »

Great shout, thanks Aaron.
and a very nice collection of blue bling you have there.

_timmy_
Approved Member

Post by _timmy_ »

Thought it was time for a bit of an update:
The cars been stripped down and given a clean, new rear Team Suzuki hubs fitted to match the front one ways, swapped the associated shocks for a set of used yokomo ones i had, and swapped out the yellow wheels for some white jc ones. A friend made me up a couple of battery bars with some spare cf he had, really happy with the result especially as the weave matches the existing chassis and top deck. Finally i mounted a used rear white wing i had lying around, not the best condition but it sets the car off nicely. Anyways, enjoy the pics.......
Attachments
phpEyI91KPM.jpg
phpiPnPdzPM.jpg
phpJO4jcQPM.jpg
phpeqv70cPM.jpg
phpB1BmPhPM.jpg
phpm8NtySPM.jpg

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Whoa, killer job, love this car!

Lee

_timmy_
Approved Member

Post by _timmy_ »

Thank you Lee, appreciate the compliment, makes all the work worth while

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Well mate its just easy on the eye lol, you running her?

Lee

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Very nice. I really like the color scheme on the body/wing/wheels.