Vale's first Yokomo: YZ-10 '94

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Vale
Approved Member

Vale's first Yokomo: YZ-10 '94

Post by Vale »

Hey guys,

I always wanted a Yokomo YZ-10. I've been searching for longer time in different forums and ebay. So last week I was bored, searched on ebay (Germany) for different vintage stuff and then I saw this YZ--10 .

I really wanted this buggy so I made an offer for the YZ-10 and the seller accepted it.

So the YZ-10 arrived today :) on the first look it seems like it was a kid's basher car. But generally it is a good base. I've had cars in much worse condition... Some pieces are missing like main gear, direct hub....and some peaces will be definitely replaced: Bumper, front tower, pulleys, rear belt. I took a look and most parts seem to be still available. I just pissed of because the left front arm is cracked and it seems like the suspension arm pin is bent... Briefly summarized: I have to spend a lot of time and money on this baby :D but hey it's a YZ-10 and I absolutely wanted it :)

hondaman
Approved Member

Re: Vale's first Yokomo (YZ-10)

Post by hondaman »

Nice yokomo there.. It looks like a nice start to me.. I've been looking for a 94-up yz10 myself as I have a pair of 870c's and a works93.. looking forward to seeing the rebuild.. keep us updated!

Shawn

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Very nice! I have a pile of early 870c,, and am wishing for a works car of any 91-94 variety.

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

Thank you guys :) Btw: do you know which version it is? (year)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

94' Dogfighter

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

This is what we call a "wonderful project car." ;) Congratulations on the find. Any YZ10 is a good find and is not beyond a bit of tender loving care.

Some good points here are that you have a molded rear wing and gold front/rear springs, which are very hard to find as stand alone units.

The front suspension arm pin can be bent back, of course. You'll definitely want to tear the whole thing down and figure out what's needed that may not be obvious at first glance. One thing to note though, as you rebuild it, be sure to put an o-ring between the upper deck and the front gearbox (the two front mounting holes for the upper deck), and don't tighten those screws down all the way. This gives a little cushion to the upper deck, which may otherwise crack at the front on a hard impact.

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

stickboy007 wrote:This is what we call a "wonderful project car." ;) Congratulations on the find. Any YZ10 is a good find and is not beyond a bit of tender loving care.

Some good points here are that you have a molded rear wing and gold front/rear springs, which are very hard to find as stand alone units.

The front suspension arm pin can be bent back, of course. You'll definitely want to tear the whole thing down and figure out what's needed that may not be obvious at first glance. One thing to note though, as you rebuild it, be sure to put an o-ring between the upper deck and the front gearbox (the two front mounting holes for the upper deck), and don't tighten those screws down all the way. This gives a little cushion to the upper deck, which may otherwise crack at the front on a hard impact.

Thank you for your tips :) yes, the YZ-10 will be disassembled first, then I will list which parts I want.

I've been searching such a yokomo for many time now and I already noticed which parts are rare and which aren't. And yes, you're right: these wings and springs really seem to be rare :D I've been building a T2 Pavidis Replika and I'm still looking for exactly these springs!!!

I suppose these wheels and front/rear arms also are very rare?? (and expensive ^^)

Cheers,
Daniel

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

The tires and wheels aren't incredibly hard to come by. I would put their rarity at moderate. JC Racing does make repro YZ10 wheels (2.2"). You could get those and mount holeshots on them. Holeshots have been around for ages, so it wouldn't exactly be a vintage crime for you to do that.

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

The front arms do pop up on occasion as I have seen them recently on ebay.. As a matter of fact I saw a molded wing in black up on ebay priced at $100 us so consider yourself quite lucky.. You could try cleaning up the wheels of the black paint and seeing what comes to pass.. maybe dyeing them black to hide the remaining blemishes.. shouldn't be too hard.. The jc racing wheels are nice too..

Shawn

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Looks a great start, id have jumped on that too TBH! Front arms are maybe your rarest bit there, as for a bumper, i have a few still formed, drilled, but not finished.
JC for wheels, avoid the ARP wheels on Ebay, they are JUNK, and crack with the slightest impact, think i may have a wing i can part with, sadly nothing more as ill be running my car soon and my spares back up, will be greatly needed lol.
TBG for a body, id say Cobra but there are some size issues of late with that shell marrying up to an under tray. A darn good clean up and rebuild, it'll be superb, as for the spur, don't buy the solid hub, id go with a one way adaptor, or, if one pops up, a TCS unit.

bests.......lee

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

ralphee wrote:Looks a great start, id have jumped on that too TBH! Front arms are maybe your rarest bit there, as for a bumper, i have a few still formed, drilled, but not finished.
JC for wheels, avoid the ARP wheels on Ebay, they are JUNK, and crack with the slightest impact, think i may have a wing i can part with, sadly nothing more as ill be running my car soon and my spares back up, will be greatly needed lol.
TBG for a body, id say Cobra but there are some size issues of late with that shell marrying up to an under tray. A darn good clean up and rebuild, it'll be superb, as for the spur, don't buy the solid hub, id go with a one way adaptor, or, if one pops up, a TCS unit.

bests.......lee
The Ebay wheels are junk? Awww man!! Oh well.. At least t hey were cheap.. Haven't used mine yet.. Good to know though.. Thanks for the heads up.. :wink:

Shawn

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

I took a look at the JC Racing wheels. They really look good and prices are okay. I also think I will try to save the old wheels and dye them black as Hondaman said.

TCS would be great, but it's not absolute necessary because the YZ-10 will be another shelfer :) If I can find one for a good price I won't hesitate :)

I already search trough ebay and found some parts at good prices in Italy: rear belt, direct hub, main gear, pulley set and maintenance kits for the shocks :)

I haven't yet disassembled the car but priority parts seem to be arms and a shock tower in good shape!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I would not spend $100 USD on that wing on eBay if I were you. $100 for a wing is extortionate if you ask me. It has been on there for quite some time, and I think there is a good reason nobody has snatched it up yet. The one you have there is a bit scuffed on the sides, but is otherwise pretty good. You might even be able to find some polish that would work well on it. I have a few '94 YZ10s, and on some of them, I opted instead to use a modern JConcepts wing (7" or 6.5" should be fine). You can paint it however you like, and it looks pretty decent with this chassis (http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30447&start=30).

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Agreed, that wing is ridiculous, but in this hobby, you do get the odd dreamer lol, may try a lexan wing anyway to save the nylons i have, seems a good option!

lee

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

Don't worry, I would never spend 100 usd for a wing ^^ I'm not such a freak :p

@ Stickboy: your Yoke looks good with the lexan wing :)