RC10T restoration/retro mod

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nufnuffz28
Approved Member

Re: RC10T restoration/retro mod

Post by nufnuffz28 »

Modified the battery box and rear bulkhead to fit the 3s battery just for bashing and road fun. No worries, I have another battery box if I need to put a smaller one on there.

I am ONLY waiting on the Hobby Wing ESC. They have REALLY messed up getting my truck running.

Still need a stealth brace and a gear cover for the side.

Also debating on upgrading a few more pieces to help handle the extra power, but I will wait to see if I start racing anywhere.

AND....... I just mailed my body off yesterday to Shadow Donkey for some custom paint!

We are going for the Worlds car look.....

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

ITS XXT,DON

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Someone mentioned about the long antennas and wanted to say on a resto rod, I like the long antenna even if the wire is short. Just had that old feel to it.

Nice project.

nufnuffz28
Approved Member

Post by nufnuffz28 »

I cut the antenna some, but it is still much longer than needed for that retro look.

I JUST got the ESC today, so I hope to be running today.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Looks good! I read that you soaked the trans case in Clorox... this makes the parts more brittle (probably not a big deal for the case). Peroxide + sun or UV light whitens the parts without damage. Hold on to your hat... lipos are a blast!!!

nufnuffz28
Approved Member

Post by nufnuffz28 »

Thanks for the tip. I will try that one next time!

Well, last night was less than successful.

Hooked up my Hobbywing ESC and first notice the fan isn't running(2s lipo). Go through the program on the card and it has no reverse even when it is selected and the controller calibrated. Eh, no big deal, so I trudge on. Next I try to run it around the house and my slipper is way loose. Tighten that up an my diff is too loose to(this setup seems quick at least).

Once I get it all going then the ESC literally starts SMOKING out of the side. At this point I hook the programmer card back up and notice it is not giving me options 11 and 12 any more(this is where you tell it how many cell lipos you're running) I had set it to auto detect.

SOOOOO

I just emailed them and of course it's a Chinese seller that is on vacaction until 2/10/14. I ordered this over 2 weeks ago. To say I'm pissed a $50 ESC is holding me back for weeks now is an understatement!

It
1)is smoking
2) programmer card not working on #11 and #12
3)no reverse
4) fan isn't working.

UGH!

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Go through the program on the card and it has no reverse even when it is selected and the controller calibrated.
Was the brake working right? Often, the throttle channel must be reversed.

However, with no fan operation, it definitely sounds like something is amiss. I've always had great luck with HW products, but that doesn't mean they can't put out a dud (or that a seller didn't resell a damaged/defective unit). If it let the smoke out, it's definitely done.

eBay is pretty good at compelling sellers to handle defective items, especially Chinese sellers. They hammer 'em if they get negative feedback. I personally would have gone with a US seller on that one ($50.98 w/program card, free shipping), but what's done is done.

Usually goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Be 100% positive your power wires from ESC to motor are not able to make contact with each other. Tape, shrinkwrap, looming......whatever you gotta do. Even a split second of contact will fry an ESC. Any ESC.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

nufnuffz28
Approved Member

Post by nufnuffz28 »

Without a doubt.

Yes, the brake was working. Just no reverse. I could reverse the controller and get the it reverse then, but obviously no forward.

After they were together, I shrink wrapped them totally to avoid any accidentally hits(so in affect they were double shrink wrapped) and I made sure that they were not even close as I was testing.

I THOUGHT I did use a US seller as I ordered everything close to each other and it was shipping from CA.

I honestly looked too fast and didn't realize they were based out of China.

I'm not upset at Hobbywing per say, it just stinks to probably wait weeks for a replacement or refund to buy more locally.

Such is life!

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Yes, the brake was working. Just no reverse. I could reverse the controller and get the it reverse then, but obviously no forward.
Then the reverse function was there, meaning a problem was present with calibration or throttle trims. Otherwise, reversing output on the TX would have given you nada. HW calibrates neutral-full forward-full reverse, not full forward-neutral-full reverse like many others.

http://www.hobbywing.com/video_play.asp?id=5

In the case of the EZrun 60, the button is on the ESC, not at the switch. Same procedure, though.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Blackangelofdeath
Approved Member

Post by Blackangelofdeath »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:
Go through the program on the card and it has no reverse even when it is selected and the controller calibrated.
Was the brake working right? Often, the throttle channel must be reversed.

However, with no fan operation, it definitely sounds like something is amiss. I've always had great luck with HW products, but that doesn't mean they can't put out a dud (or that a seller didn't resell a damaged/defective unit). If it let the smoke out, it's definitely done.

eBay is pretty good at compelling sellers to handle defective items, especially Chinese sellers. They hammer 'em if they get negative feedback. I personally would have gone with a US seller on that one ($50.98 w/program card, free shipping), but what's done is done.

I too, had purchased a esc from China-based seller and it too "smoked-out". It took a few days to get the smell out of the garage. I never did get a refund as I waited too long to pursue it. Me and a buddy have many projects we are working on and forgot about it until it was too late.
Anyway, did you have any success with a refund/replacement?

Usually goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Be 100% positive your power wires from ESC to motor are not able to make contact with each other. Tape, shrinkwrap, looming......whatever you gotta do. Even a split second of contact will fry an ESC. Any ESC.
I'd take a knife for some really good nachos.

nufnuffz28
Approved Member

Post by nufnuffz28 »

They are supposedly mailing me out my new one today.

Very excited!

Also, shadow should be starting on my body(and NOS RC19T wing I found on ebay) very soon. i will update with pictures soon!

nufnuffz28
Approved Member

Post by nufnuffz28 »

Well. Finally got a chance to get it all together. She is a HANDFUL.

It was easy to setup. I wired the fan on it to the battery out of the receiver since I am running a 3cell Lipo sometimes and that is too many volts for the fan they send.

It is fast on 2c and TOO fast, but very fun, on 3c.

Anyone have a good way to mount the front side of the battery box. The 3c is too big and the one I cut up and am using is not holding up well.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

MAKE A BATTERY BRACE THAT goes on the battery cup that exstends out and bends down in front.Ive seen them done with plastic tube or body mounts screwed to something plastic or carbon mounted inder the brace so holds in the front and keeps it fronm hitn the servo.don

Blacktiger355
Approved Member

Post by Blacktiger355 »

Body is done, sorry for the wait. Turned out pretty good for a used body. Sorry for the bad photo, it is raining here so an indoor shot is all I could get. Will mail it out monday morning. :)

nufnuffz28
Approved Member

Post by nufnuffz28 »

That body is beautiful!

I can't wait to get it on!