help me out please guys 1980s rc 10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nickrc10classic

Re: help me out please guys 1980s rc 10

Post by nickrc10classic »

Thx guys,i am going to keep it stock for now. I ordered up a rebuild kit for my tranny, should have in it about 3 weeks. Also have a body and batt hold down, on the way. shock rebuild kits are coming soon as they are leaking, any thing else I should look at replacing? It has been sitting in storage for about 8 years. aldo how do I tell what year my car is for sure?

nickrc10classic

this is her, motor and tranny out of her tho
Attachments
no motor or tranny in her tho
no motor or tranny in her tho

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I put my traxxas velineon 3500 motor on the 6 gear and it ran just fine. While probably not recommended, I prefer to run grease in my 6 gears as you would for an all metal gear tranny. I really have no justification for it but since it helps preserve my metal transmission, I figured why not.

nickrc10classic

alright thx, I have a Mabuchi rs 540 sport tuned motor, not sure how it is but the guy at the rc store told me it wouldn't tear apart my rear end, I also updated the speed control with a TR2ER electronic speed control. i had the old mechanical speed control which required a separate battery source. what grease do you run? i was looking online and they sell this, any reviews of something like this? http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/5455/

jasond

Post by jasond »

Cool car! I have almost the same one, it's an early championship edition from around '90 - '92. I have the jconcepts tires, they're very soft and sticky. That lube won't work, it's meant to keep diff gears from turning. Plastic gears shouldn't need lube, but if you want to use something, use black grease. You need it for the thrust bearing anyway. That motor is very mild, if you want more speed the trans will hold up to much more.
Does it have bearings? If not, they're a cheap upgrade.

nickrc10classic

It has a blue ball bearing and a couple closed bearings, two plastic small gears, four metal small gears and of course the big plastic white gear, I will take a photo tomorrow and maybe you can help me figure out what bearing set I can get to upgrade or just replace? And I believe I need new tie rod ends all of mine are pretty stifff

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

As JasonD said, the oil you linked to is meant to stiffen up a sealed gear type differential by forcing the bevel gears to move through a very heavy fluid. But used in a transmission, it'll just make a horrible mess as it all seeps out. Just run good ol' high temp wheel bearing grease.

As for your bearings, I'd suggest simply getting a complete kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Deluxe-Full-Bearing-Kit-For-Vintage-or-Classic-Re-release-RC10-Gold-Pan-/301139732348?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461d53a77c

Also, let us know when you're ready to upgrade to brushless, we'll point you in the right direction. It's not just a huge power increase; they are far more efficient, giving longer run times (about double, IME). And remember, if you run LiPo and your new ESC doesn't have a low voltage cut-off function, you need to pick up an alarm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in1-Indicator-1-8s-RC-Lipo-Battery-Voltage-Tester-Low-Voltage-Buzzer-Alarm-USA-/151257608459?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2337a7f10b
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

Here's a quality full bearing kit for your car for only $16 -- http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=680&kitname=RC10+Classic

Plus 2 of these for the outdrives for only $1ea, even the ceramic revolutions -- http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/570/38-x-58-x-532-Ceramic-Revolution-R1038-RSZC-bearings.html

nickrc10classic

Thx guys that awesome, I will for sure upgrade to bearing. And as for a motor what do you recommend? I would like to have more power for sure

jasond

Post by jasond »

Your trans is called a "6 gear", the later one is the "stealth". They are different, so make sure to get the correct bearings.
I put a hobbywing justock 17.5 combo in mine. It was a little over $100 for motor and Speedo. 17.5 is legal to race in stock class, but you could use a more powerful, lower turn if you like.

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

GodSpeed wrote:Here's a quality full bearing kit for your car for only $16 -- http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=680&kitname=RC10+Classic

Plus 2 of these for the outdrives for only $1ea, even the ceramic revolutions -- http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/570/38-x-58-x-532-Ceramic-Revolution-R1038-RSZC-bearings.html
FTR, the bearings I linked here are for the Classic RC10 and 6-gear tranny.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

And as for a motor what do you recommend? I would like to have more power for sure
Depends on what you want to do with it. Are you going to race it? If not, you have just about unlimited options.

Personally, I really (REALLY) like the Hobbywing SC8WP ESC for both 1/10 and 1/8 scale. A little overkill for most 1/10, but it's inexpensive, relatively small, smooth, programmable and very powerful. You will have no limits on motor options or gearing in a 1/10 buggy running that ESC, and it won't even warm up on 2S LiPo.

As for motors, in the sensorless category, I'm actually really liking the Leopard Hobby 4 pole stuff. They seem to be really good motors, and AtomikRC has had them on sale for awhile on their eBay store. I snagged a 3430KV 4 pole 540 for $42 shipped, that's what lives in the carbon fiber buggy.

If you decide you want to race and need a legal sensored motor & ESC, I'd personally recommend Hobbywing all the way on that. I have the 90A Xerun V2.1 ESC with a 13.5 Xerun motor in that second buggy I posted.

If you just want an economical brushless system that still runs good, I'd either go with the Leopard combos that use a 380 cored 540 motor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3in1-RC-Brushless-Combo-TORO-Leopard-10T-Motor-60A-V2-ESC-Car-truck-buggy-1-10-/221200273560?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3380905098

Or buy a Hobbywing EZrun 60A ESC (about $50 shipped with program card) and an appropriate motor. I'd recommend at least 9 turn on the smaller ESC, something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leopard-Motor-Brushless-Inrunner-3930Kv-2-Pole-for-1-10-RC-Cars-and-Trucks-/310897644596?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4862f19434
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:I have the 90A Xerun V2.1 ESC with a 13.5 Xerun motor in that second buggy I posted.
I'm looking at getting this ESC right now in fact, along with a 13.5T motor.

With all the stuff that can be programmed, how do you decide what you need or is best?

nickrc10classic

It just for fun not for racing, but I would like it to have some balls when I'm using it, and if I have a more powerful motor, will my ESC over heat? And my ESC has a beeper in it that when my battery is low it beeps and won't work, and as for motors. Do I need to consider battery size? ESC? Anything for when I am buying? I want power but I don't want to sick 600$ into it just to have it, also with motors, they say like 17.5 or 22.5 or 13.5. Is bigger better? Or does it stand for something?

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

Those numbers are the "Turns." The LOWER the number the faster....and harder on trans, ESC, battery life etc.