Curious what this crowd thinks, Tesla Model S

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Curious what this crowd thinks, Tesla Model S

Post by flipwils11 »

Wondering if anyone on the board has seen a model S on the road yet in your area, or if you've checked out their website and looked at the car and options. I've seen several near me, one on the way to work this morning. I'm a V8, RWD, manual trans kind of guy so the Tesla is pretty far from what I would consider (it's also way outside my price range). But damn if it isn't a sexy as hell looking car.

I optioned one out on their website, selecting the 400+hp configuration, and a bunch of other fancy options and it quickly got to $125k. :shock:

Just curious what others think. The range at 250 or so miles actually isn't bad, especially for around town commuting. Long distance though would get annoying with the stops and waiting hours between charges.

proffesso
Approved Member

Re: Curious what this crowd thinks, Tesla Model S

Post by proffesso »

i love it, would own one if I could afford it

the range thing I dont get though, 250 miles (400km/s) is a XXXtload of range...how many people are driving are than that a day?

cost wise, yeah its certainly up there, hopefully the next version or two will drop that down a lot.

would own one as an everyday car, and something fun for weekends :)
Last edited by klavy69 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: watch the language please
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

There are craploads of those here in Orange County and every time I see one I'm still stunned at how damn good looking they are. Oh yes I would drive one, but they're out of my league...

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Their cost calculator on the website is very interesting. It's very careful to position the cost as monthly, net of the savings on gas. :) You have to read through how they're doing the calculation to see their assumptions, including gub'ment incentives. :roll: If you click over on the tab to the right when you're building it and it's calculating the price you can see the cash price which is how I saw that I hit $125k.

It's a pretty smart way to pitch the savings and overcome cost objections when you net out several thousand dollars in gas a year. And (currently) electricity is damn near free I guess, will be interesting to see if that changes as demand shifts in the next 10-20 years.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Wonder if this thread was spawned by 60 minutes coverage of the Model S last night

They dubbed engine sounds in for the model S even though its electric :lol:

I think forza 5 had the same problem for the model S too, no clue what to do regarding engine sound.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

I caught the 60 Minutes piece on Elon Musk of whom I've read about before. Did you catch the part where he is envisioning recharge stations that are free of charge(no pun intended)?

Also the 5 BILLION dollar battery plant they are building? Impressive visionary this guy.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

mk-Zero wrote:There are craploads of those here in Orange County and every time I see one I'm still stunned at how damn good looking they are. Oh yes I would drive one, but they're out of my league...
+1, I see them daily on my commute between Orange County and Riverside.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I have seen one around these parts and I agree- dead sexy! I will never be able to own one but I can still dream
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

I got to drive one at work, I loved everything about it, even if it was less than 5 miles.

If I can convince the wife and I get this new job there might be one in my near future

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

abailey21 wrote:I got to drive one at work, I loved everything about it, even if it was less than 5 miles.

If I can convince the wife and I get this new job there might be one in my near future
Interesting, any other impressions? Must have nice torque from the electric motor drive.

Does it have a transmission, i.e. is there a need to shift or is it direct drive from the motors?

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

My wife's best-friend bought a base model Tesla for a little under $50K. It is less powerful and has less range (I think around 140 miles) compared to the high-end version, but she loves it.
She drives it to work every day and plugs it in every night. No problems.

The car has a very cool iPhone app that can turn on the A/C or heater for you, pinpoint the location of the car on a GPS map, honk the horn (to help you find it in a parking lot), and many other things.

I would totally get one!
-dldiaz

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

I've seen a few around here. I like it a whole lot more than the Prius, I can tell you that... but then, I'd sooner restore a Yugo than buy a Prius.

I love internal-combustion engines and manual gearboxes, but I guess if the future of the automobile looks kinda like Tesla, that'd be OK. I'm less sure about the connectivity of it (and many other new cars, actually). I hate the idea of a car being able to be "hacked."

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Does it have a transmission, i.e. is there a need to shift or is it direct drive from the motors?
It's more of a transfer case. No clutches, converter, anything like that. Just gears.

EVs are finally coming into their own. Kinda sucks for those of us in the repair biz, as the high voltage systems mean the car is dangerous all the time, not just when things are turning. More than one technician has been maimed or killed by the HV hybrids.

Having said that, even at it's high price, the Tesla will mitigate a significant portion of it's high price tag over time. While it's certainly not a "zero emission" hippie pipe dream car (unless you have your own field of solar panels/wind generators), it does produce less, and, more importantly, has a substantially lower fuel cost. At ~$0.12/KWh, the Tesla would save your typical 15K mi/year commuter about $2k per year versus a low-20's MPG sedan/crossover/small SUV. If you drive further or your gasoline powered vehicle was less efficient, obviously the annual savings is even higher. Enough savings to justify the $70K+ price tag? Probably not, but then, people who buy a Tesla are not exactly hurting for money.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

JK Racing wrote:
mk-Zero wrote:There are craploads of those here in Orange County and every time I see one I'm still stunned at how damn good looking they are. Oh yes I would drive one, but they're out of my league...
+1, I see them daily on my commute between Orange County and Riverside.
i pass 3-4 a day in teh carpool lane from 91-405 every day. but since riding 2 wheels, i still go past them.