help me out please guys 1980s rc 10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nickrc10classic

help me out please guys 1980s rc 10

Post by nickrc10classic »

ok guys I have an old 1980's rc 10 classic car, I have a new motor, new speed control unit, new battery and hold down along with charger, new body on order, I am looking for a tranny rebuild kit, but my problem is that I have broken an axle, so should I replace with original or new age? I would like to go new age but this set here. http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6801/ and also http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6802/ say you need the tires they sell, which I want new wheels, and those can I get an adaptor? will the fronts be wider, maybe to match the rears? any ideas would be appreciated thx alot

shodog
Approved Member

Re: help me out please guys 1980s rc 10

Post by shodog »

Rather than convert to B4 wheels you can post an ad in the wanted section for the parts you need. IMO 2.2 wheels look goofy on a classic. With the rere you'll be able to buy stock size tires

What axle is broken? A front or rear?

nickrc10classic

front is broken. so your saying I should stay stock?

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

If you want it to look good, stick with stock axles. If you want it to run good, IMO, go with the conversion up front, and run B3 wheels in the back. I personally run GT wide front axles and Proline wide front B4 offset wheels with 4WD tires up front, and AE B3 wheels on the back with standard hub carriers and 1/4" CVDs:

You can also always order some nice 5-spoke wheels from JC racing, they run about $20/set with shipping. I have them in white and black, they look good. Not as tough as solid buggy wheels, though. They've done OK on my slower 13.5T composite buggy:

But I had them on the one in the first picture, and that didn't work out so well. That said, it's a 4mm carbon fiber chassis with a bunch of alloy parts, and an AE SC1200BL short course ESC pushing a 3400 KV 4-pole motor that's geared pretty aggressively. A little heavy and a lot fast, plus really rigid.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

nickrc10classic

Alright thx a lot man, I think I'll stay stock for now, just buy new stock rims to make it look a little nicer

nickrc10classic

in your second pic, are those stock axles? and would these work for my stock axles?it looks like they would but I am new to this so I would just like to double check. thanks a lot http://www.redrc.net/2013/12/jconcepts-rc10-classic-wheels-tyres/#more-74907

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Those wheels and tyres will work with the standard axles fine.. Just buy some re releases rc10 classic front axles and the j concepts stuff and you will be good to go mate...

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

in your second pic, are those stock axles?
That one also has GT wide fronts, as I like the handling of a wider front stance.
and would these work for my stock axles?
Yes. There is no difference in the spindle profile of buggy, truck and wide truck axles. Just be aware that later aluminum wide front end buggy axles, truck axles, or the GT wide axles will not work with your stock steering blocks. They require #6221 blocks (the ones that come in the conversion kit).

Those wheels are here:

http://jcracingproducts.co.uk/products/
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

nickrc10classic

Alright awesome, thank you. And on another note, I would like to upgrade my tranny, I have been doing some research and I believe I have a 2nd gen gold, A stamp on top. So what aftermarket tranny and diff can I get but without drillin any holes in the chassis. I would like to not have to ruin it by drilling holes. And do you by any chance know what year it would be? Thanks again and your cars are sick man, very nice

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I think your gonna have quite some trouble maintaining parts for a runner that isnt using the 6 gear or stealth transmission.

My guess for an upgrade would be the MIP SP1 transmission if you dont want to use the 6 gear w/o drilling holes.

If you decide you want to drill holes for a stealth, you can find drill guides on ebay.

nickrc10classic

So it sounds like I should leave the 6 gear in. Maybe just rebuild it, bearings gears etc?

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

So it sounds like I should leave the 6 gear in. Maybe just rebuild it, bearings gears etc?
Definitely tear it down at least.

The problem with 6 gear transmissions isn't that they aren't tough-they certainly are. The issue is that they're heavy, and the differential also has to function as a slipper.

I beat on an old 6 gear with a Reedy 3500 KV 4 pole 550 motor, it took it just fine.

TheSpeedway
Approved Member

Post by TheSpeedway »

Just a suggestion for your consideration.

As the parts are available for your short arm 80's buggy why not just leave it in that configuration. These ran fine during that era.

If your want something with more performance find a long arm car with Stealth Transmission off of Craigslist or purchase the newly available Re-release of the Worlds car.

I have found decent cars off of Craigs. My last two were an Late RC10CE Black for $45 and a Original 94 Worlds car for only $60.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Go with a Stealth tranny - I have a 5700 Castle Brushless in mine and it has held up to some very serious abuse with no issues.

I also have the aforementioned JC Racing wheels on both runners and they are excellent. I've also put them through at least 3 acetone cycles to remove the tires and they held up perfectly.

As for the axles, I left mine stock
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

RC104ever wrote:Go with a Stealth tranny - I have a 5700 Castle Brushless in mine and it has held up to some very serious abuse with no issues.
I have the same set up in my 10t, works great, I run my dif. a little tight, and run hard, so a rebuild 2-3 times a year for me is normal.