Cox/Kyosho Circuit 1000 Buggy

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Re: Cox/Kyosho Circuit 1000 Buggy

Post by TM Ru22311 »

The rear wheels are 1.5" and the front wheels are 1.9"

Are those the sizes of the rims Lars? Thank you for the paint color also. I will keep an eye out for that. I got my RCScewz set in the mail today. LoL, they are located in Canton, Michigan (Not far from me). I got most of my aluminum sanded down and ready for polishing. Boy that was a lot of rubbing! I think I will be using my Dremel polishing kit for that.

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

I just got back from the local library to print out the Tomahawk manual. Getting ready for re-assembly. I found a couple of mid-eighties books from "Radio Control Car Action" that has the Scorpion in it. It is called "The Basics of Radio Control Cars" (1986). Going to try and scan some pages soon. Some pretty cool stuff in those old mags :)

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

TM Ru22311 wrote:The rear wheels are 1.5" and the front wheels are 1.9"

Are those the sizes of the rims Lars?
Yes it is. For rear tires you can use re-re RC10 tires sins those are for 1.5” rims. I’m not sure if you need to do some minor modification on the inside of the tires, but I’m sure someone her can answer that question for you. 8)
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Thank you Lars for taking the time to answer that for me. I have been looking for that info everywhere! :? I would like to get some rims soon so that when Marwin is completed molding the repro Tomahawk tires I will be good to go. All the Tamiya wheel adapters I have seen just look like brass tubing pieces. I know you mentioned that before, so I will probably just make my own if needed. Thanks again, you have been a huge help. :)

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

You are right, it’s just brass tubing… :lol:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

KyoshoScorpionKid
Approved Member

Post by KyoshoScorpionKid »

I am putting together a section on my site for the Circuit 1000 Buggies, that's the Scorpion, Tomahawk, Assault, Advance, Sidewinder. Basically you can get all the parts for your car from people who now make parts for it. Pargu on ebay makes a ton of aluminum parts, TeamblueGroove makes the bodies on Ebay, you can upgrade your parts to Carbon Fiber and upgrade the shock lengths. There is SO MUCH you can do, it's a little overwhelming actually. You can also get axle adapters so you can run any wheel and tire you want. You can get the original Tomahawk Wheels with Black centers from Pargu and they are aluminum. There isn't much your car needs just a rear cage and if you're planning on running it you don't need the resistor pack but if you want it original then that's cool.

I hope to have this section done soon on my website, I have so many things to do and your parts reference is there too.

R-C-MAN
vintagekyosho.com

The Tomahawk is one of the most beautiful cars I think.

TM Ru22311 wrote:Great! Marwan's tires look to be very good quality. For rims, I would like to get something period correct, but just finding something that fits has been a challenge. I have found a few of the items on my list from ebay, but prices are high (naturally). There is a Canadian seller that sells repro Lexan Body's & dolls ($44 shipped for both). I seen a sticker kit for about $20, motor cover ($28 shipped) and resisters for $13 shipped. Finding all this stuff is not impossible, just expensive :lol:

Lars, would you know where to get paint that would be close to the original? I love the color you used for your Tomahawk R. :mrgreen:

If I had the money, I think the Kyosho Javelin is one of the best looking vintage RC buggy's available. I seen an orange one on eBay that is just gorgeous! Plus, the spiky rear tires look Bad A$$!!!
Attachments
THECAR2.jpg

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

That is great news! I have actually been to that site many times :) It is excellent for info and adding links for a part section will make it even better, I can't wait! I have held off on purchasing from TeamBlueGroove. I could of sworn the Tomahawk body was cheaper last week, but I guess it will only go up in price since they are the only ones that sell repro's. Pargu has beautiful rims and I would love to get a set of those. I may have to wait if I get them because of price though. They would look awesome on the Tomahawk!

I was wondering, the Tomahawk doesn't have a body tub does it? (Like the Scorpion). I didn't see that in the manual but I was curious to know. I thought all I would need is the driver doll and body. I'm holding off on tires also. I want to wait and see what Marwin has when he is done. The tires he makes for the Javelin look awesome! The prices are great too ;) If I don't find any original/repro rims, I will probably save up for a set from Pargu....they're so shiny!

I'm still undecided about my rear cage. It is broke, but could be fixed. I really like the aluminum ones though. It would look a lot better with aluminum. Thanks again for all the help guys. You all have been so helpful.

KyoshoScorpionKid
Approved Member

The rear cage is cheap, there is one on ebay for 25 bucks, just search for Kyosho Scorpion and you'll see it. As for the Aluminum rims they are amazing! I purchased a whole 2 chassis from Pargu one in red and one in Blue with the Aluminum wheels and the car is amazing! The only thing you might need to wait for or spend the money is tires which they also have on ebay. The Teambluegroove body does come with the driver and you can get anything for that car.

TM Ru22311 wrote:That is great news! I have actually been to that site many times :) It is excellent for info and adding links for a part section will make it even better, I can't wait! I have held off on purchasing from TeamBlueGroove. I could of sworn the Tomahawk body was cheaper last week, but I guess it will only go up in price since they are the only ones that sell repro's. Pargu has beautiful rims and I would love to get a set of those. I may have to wait if I get them because of price though. They would look awesome on the Tomahawk!

I was wondering, the Tomahawk doesn't have a body tub does it? (Like the Scorpion). I didn't see that in the manual but I was curious to know. I thought all I would need is the driver doll and body. I'm holding off on tires also. I want to wait and see what Marwin has when he is done. The tires he makes for the Javelin look awesome! The prices are great too ;) If I don't find any original/repro rims, I will probably save up for a set from Pargu....they're so shiny!

I'm still undecided about my rear cage. It is broke, but could be fixed. I really like the aluminum ones though. It would look a lot better with aluminum. Thanks again for all the help guys. You all have been so helpful.
Attachments
IMG_0251-2.jpg

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

KyoshoScorpionKid wrote: The Teambluegroove body does come with the driver and you can get anything for that car.

TM Ru22311 wrote:That is great news! I have actually been to that site many times :) It is excellent for info and adding links for a part section will make it even better, I can't wait! I have held off on purchasing from TeamBlueGroove. I could of sworn the Tomahawk body was cheaper last week, but I guess it will only go up in price since they are the only ones that sell repro's. Pargu has beautiful rims and I would love to get a set of those. I may have to wait if I get them because of price though. They would look awesome on the Tomahawk!

The auction I see on eBay has the Tomahawk body for $24.99 and the Driver Doll (separately) for $4.99. Did you see one that had the driver included? The prices are okay with me, it's the shipping that I think is high :/ If I could get them combined, that would be great! Please be sure to let me know when you get vintagekyosho.com updated with the seller links. I have seen another site that had everything available for each car that is currently available on eBay, maybe you could get something like that going. IDK what is involved with making that happen, but that would help collectors out tremendously. I love the site though. There is so much info all in one place. I know it has been a huge help for me (Especially the parts list section). Did you decide not to have one specifically for the Tomahawk because it is so similar to the Scorpion? If I had unlimited funds, I would have a collection of Javelins. Something about those buggy's that just appeal to me. Must be because they're so Bad A$$!!! LoL

KyoshoScorpionKid
Approved Member

All the Circuit 1000 buggies share the same parts except for specifics like engines and tranny parts. I already have links in the links section for part sellers but I am not quite sure how I'm going to do these all maybe make a large sheet showing the replacement. People email me all the time and want me to do all the work for them, find me this find me that it can get a little annoying or they give me a grocery list of parts and say "I need these parts" make me them, sell me them on and on....

I don't make parts, I don't sell parts I am a resource person. I have all the catalogs and can help you identify a car, but you have to do the leg work as we all do. Maybe in the future I will have the ability to come up with a one stop shop :) but there is so much new stuff not even I know about, guy like Lars are invaluable to helping me out, that's what we all do is help each other out.

Right now I am working on getting a very special Tomahawk painted for me, I hope it turns out awesome!

R-C-MAN

TM Ru22311 wrote:
KyoshoScorpionKid wrote: The Teambluegroove body does come with the driver and you can get anything for that car.

The auction I see on eBay has the Tomahawk body for $24.99 and the Driver Doll (separately) for $4.99. Did you see one that had the driver included? The prices are okay with me, it's the shipping that I think is high :/ If I could get them combined, that would be great! Please be sure to let me know when you get vintagekyosho.com updated with the seller links. I have seen another site that had everything available for each car that is currently available on eBay, maybe you could get something like that going. IDK what is involved with making that happen, but that would help collectors out tremendously. I love the site though. There is so much info all in one place. I know it has been a huge help for me (Especially the parts list section). Did you decide not to have one specifically for the Tomahawk because it is so similar to the Scorpion? If I had unlimited funds, I would have a collection of Javelins. Something about those buggy's that just appeal to me. Must be because they're so Bad A$$!!! LoL

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Oh man, I didn't think about that, it would get annoying. I think most people (like me) just don't realize how hard these parts are to find and they are just looking for any help they can get, but a grocery list? Yeah, that is too much! I have been able to locate most of the parts I need, just have to find the $$$ now. I think your website is great. I know it has to be a lot of work to keep it up and going. You have an amazing collection of cars posted. Be sure to post pics of the Tomahawk when it gets painted. The one you posted earlier looked great. Did you buy it all complete like that? I wish I could make parts, could you imagine all the money you could make and help others out in the process. Heck, I just wish someone made a repro acc. kit (lights/muffler/net). Just that would be a blessing! I have only seen one and it was NIP for $79. I think it's still on eBay. While I am on the subject, has anyone dealt with gascarman on eBay? He seems to be the one selling most of the parts for these cars. I seen a small die-cast Scorpion last night. I didn't even know they made those!

One of my knuckle arms is bent slightly (probably a hard front end crash). I was going to try and straighten it out before getting another one. Would you think using a propane torch to heat it up and bend it work?

KyoshoScorpionKid
Approved Member

Ohhhhhh NOOOOO! Don't use heat! Most of the parts of that era a brital, they will break of you try to fix them. The only thing I would fix is the frame rails but there is a method to do that properly. Most stuff is Cast Aluminum and will break very easy. The parts you're talking about are not that expensive, just don't setting for one vendor. This hobby can cost you if you get carried away with it we all know that.

As for the Tomahawk it came that way, with Custom Carbon Fiber shock towers front and back. Take your time, clean what you have, you will be impressed with what you have after you clean it. Start there while you're looking for parts.

RC

TM Ru22311 wrote:Oh man, I didn't think about that, it would get annoying. I think most people (like me) just don't realize how hard these parts are to find and they are just looking for any help they can get, but a grocery list? Yeah, that is too much! I have been able to locate most of the parts I need, just have to find the $$$ now. I think your website is great. I know it has to be a lot of work to keep it up and going. You have an amazing collection of cars posted. Be sure to post pics of the Tomahawk when it gets painted. The one you posted earlier looked great. Did you buy it all complete like that? I wish I could make parts, could you imagine all the money you could make and help others out in the process. Heck, I just wish someone made a repro acc. kit (lights/muffler/net). Just that would be a blessing! I have only seen one and it was NIP for $79. I think it's still on eBay. While I am on the subject, has anyone dealt with gascarman on eBay? He seems to be the one selling most of the parts for these cars. I seen a small die-cast Scorpion last night. I didn't even know they made those!

One of my knuckle arms is bent slightly (probably a hard front end crash). I was going to try and straighten it out before getting another one. Would you think using a propane torch to heat it up and bend it work?

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Oh, thank you for that! I don't want to do any more damage! I have seen those parts frequently, but they are in pairs or NIP. I would be happy with just one used one. I do get carried away with purchases and need to pace myself. I get all worked up! I need to step back and take a breather, LoL. Thanks for the advice, someone will have a used one for sale eventually. I have plenty of polishing in the meantime. See....glad I asked! Shooo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RCman, if you don't quit putting all those awesome scores on your website, I'm gonna have to get a bib from all the drooling I am doing! :shock: If you don't mind me asking, how many of the Circuit 1000 buggy's do you have in your collection? I have never seen that many (and in such great shape) in one place. I am so glad I found this place, you guys have been so helpful. I would be lost right now. I have totally been neglecting my RC heli's but every time I work on this restoration, the more I love it!

Have you ever tried to get scuffs out of plastic? just wondered if that was possible.

KyoshoScorpionKid
Approved Member

Has anyone explained how to clean or polish yes there are a few different ways.

My method steps:

- if the car is really dirty and disgusting then even before I take a screw out I take some all purpose cleaner (for me Simple Green) and spray and paint brush and clean all the crap off. Rince and repeat as many times as necessary.

- take the car apart all screws, some may be really hard as they may have lock-tight in them, I have a small Vice-Grip for that, peope are like HOLY! but I throw away the screws as they are useless anyway.

- Once all apart take one piece at a time, I use a SOS Pad and warm water and rub a lot! Rince and repear and necessary.

- dry the parts and put them on a clean cloth.

That's a start.

TM Ru22311 wrote:Oh, thank you for that! I don't want to do any more damage! I have seen those parts frequently, but they are in pairs or NIP. I would be happy with just one used one. I do get carried away with purchases and need to pace myself. I get all worked up! I need to step back and take a breather, LoL. Thanks for the advice, someone will have a used one for sale eventually. I have plenty of polishing in the meantime. See....glad I asked! Shooo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RCman, if you don't quit putting all those awesome scores on your website, I'm gonna have to get a bib from all the drooling I am doing! :shock: If you don't mind me asking, how many of the Circuit 1000 buggy's do you have in your collection? I have never seen that many (and in such great shape) in one place. I am so glad I found this place, you guys have been so helpful. I would be lost right now. I have totally been neglecting my RC heli's but every time I work on this restoration, the more I love it!

Have you ever tried to get scuffs out of plastic? just wondered if that was possible.

KyoshoScorpionKid
Approved Member

I used the method below on this car.

KyoshoScorpionKid wrote:Has anyone explained how to clean or polish yes there are a few different ways.

My method steps:

- if the car is really dirty and disgusting then even before I take a screw out I take some all purpose cleaner (for me Simple Green) and spray and paint brush and clean all the crap off. Rince and repeat as many times as necessary.

- take the car apart all screws, some may be really hard as they may have lock-tight in them, I have a small Vice-Grip for that, peope are like HOLY! but I throw away the screws as they are useless anyway.

- Once all apart take one piece at a time, I use a SOS Pad and warm water and rub a lot! Rince and repear and necessary.

- dry the parts and put them on a clean cloth.

That's a start.

TM Ru22311 wrote:Oh, thank you for that! I don't want to do any more damage! I have seen those parts frequently, but they are in pairs or NIP. I would be happy with just one used one. I do get carried away with purchases and need to pace myself. I get all worked up! I need to step back and take a breather, LoL. Thanks for the advice, someone will have a used one for sale eventually. I have plenty of polishing in the meantime. See....glad I asked! Shooo!

Attachments
Picture 025.jpg