Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by Johnboy72 »

I've probably owned almost 20 RC10s in my past and never had a brand NIB RC10 (with exception of a RC10T4). My father had the goldie with the stealth and I raced an original blackfoot. When I took his controller and showed him up, he bought a used 6 gear for me. I was good with it and the 6 gear was replaced with his Goldie the next season. He hung up racing RC and just wrenched. I traded for a 6 gear a couple of years ago to restore. So this is sort of special for me. So far I have my original Caddy sitting next to this build. So far my Classic is looking pretty clean and decent. Just taking my time with it and only have half of the front suspension together. Did have to break out a file as castor block and spindle were a little too tight for my liking. Also had to put a shim in the A arm cause there was a slight gap in the castor block. But that just seems normal to me.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

badhoopty wrote:how many of you guys who have built an original rc10 (from a nib kit) and recently bought and built a rere think the rere is produced to a lower standard regarding fit and finish?

the only real difference i noticed (besides obvious changes like the shocks) is that the rere requirs no drilling of the servo posts. and imho thats better than the og.
Not an original RC10, but I definitely remember that with the RC10T, the parts that carried over from the cars were not as well made as the new parts designed specifically for the truck (rear bulkhead, rear arm mounts, caster blocks, steering blocks, rod ends, and some other small parts). I would expect parts made using 1984 technology to be inferior to parts made using 1991 technology, I would also expect the parts designed and manufactured in 2013 should be even better, and for the most part they are, which makes the minor issues even more disappointing to me as a CAD designer.

The original 6-gear transmission was pretty poorly molded, and that was even mentioned in the RC10 The Winning Edge video; you had to file the burrs off the outdrive gears and file the spine plate to correct the gear mesh. To the best of my knowledge, the transmission wasn't updated until it was replaced by the Stealth (Team Car and RC10T in 1991, RC10 CE in 1992)

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Re: servo posts

I bought some servo posts on ebay sold new under a "vintage RC10" search. From a distance they look original, but they are actually alloy blocks powder coated black. The original hex screws work perfectly with them.
GARBO 1/8

TheSpeedway
Approved Member

Post by TheSpeedway »

badhoopty wrote:how many of you guys who have built an original rc10 (from a nib kit) and recently bought and built a rere think the rere is produced to a lower standard regarding fit and finish?

the only real difference i noticed (besides obvious changes like the shocks) is that the rere requirs no drilling of the servo posts. and imho thats better than the og.
I dont think the quality is less. In fact its better in most cases. For the most part the parts go back and forth between new and old.

Here is one that does not that folks could complain about if they wanted but I have a different take on it.
I bought new Nose Brace tubes for the 4 original cars I am putting together. All will be 6 gear short arm cars when completed. They are all from different eras in the gold pan production as 2 were originally long arm stealth cars.

The new ReRe Nose Brace tubes which are superior in finish to the originals wont fit correctly unless you trim the nose on them back. Without a measurement it is going to be around and 1/8” or less.

They fit the ReRe fine.
They wont fit my Edinger without trimming
Nor the Cadillac
One Stealth chassis is the same as the Caddie
The other Stealth chassis - they are very close to fitting

I will check all the angles on the nose plates as these are used parts and adjust anything before I come up with a measurement for how much I will remove. When I have that complete I will chuck them up in the lathe and part all of them off the same amount so its all interchangeable.

I am very very picky so much so that the Porsche team I worked on this year gave me a hard time about it. I don’t have any heartburn about this little adjustment. I expected things to be like this to a degree.

I did far more clean up of flash on a new-Original set of Caster Blocks for one of the cars over the ReRe set last night. You don’t want to compare the old versus new on the Ball Ends as the new ones are superior.

Patiofurnituregt
Approved Member

Post by Patiofurnituregt »

TheSpeedway wrote: I dont think the quality is less. In fact its better in most cases. For the most part the parts go back and forth between new and old.

Here is one that does not that folks could complain about if they wanted but I have a different take on it.
I bought new Nose Brace tubes for the 4 original cars I am putting together. All will be 6 gear short arm cars when completed. They are all from different eras in the gold pan production as 2 were originally long arm stealth cars.

The new ReRe Nose Brace tubes which are superior in finish to the originals wont fit correctly unless you trim the nose on them back. Without a measurement it is going to be around and 1/8” or less.

They fit the ReRe fine.
They wont fit my Edinger without trimming
Nor the Cadillac
One Stealth chassis is the same as the Caddie
The other Stealth chassis - they are very close to fitting

I will check all the angles on the nose plates as these are used parts and adjust anything before I come up with a measurement for how much I will remove. When I have that complete I will chuck them up in the lathe and part all of them off the same amount so its all interchangeable.

I am very very picky so much so that the Porsche team I worked on this year gave me a hard time about it. I don’t have any heartburn about this little adjustment. I expected things to be like this to a degree.

I did far more clean up of flash on a new-Original set of Caster Blocks for one of the cars over the ReRe set last night. You don’t want to compare the old versus new on the Ball Ends as the new ones are superior.
It just dawned on me that this is perhaps one of the few posts I've see so far that actually sheds light on the parts that are better than the originals! It seems like most of the comments have been negative and criticized a variety of things that they thought should have been better. So much so, that there is even a thread to discuss how 'lousy' the kit is. Where is the thread that discusses parts that are of better quality than the original?

For example, almost ALL of the machined parts are of much higher quality than the original and a lot of the molded parts are much better!
Tim Tunnermann
Team Associated Design Engineer
Team Associated | |Reedy | XP Digital | JConcepts | Futaba | Makita | Kicker | LiveRC

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... Some people on Ebay are crazy.... Anyone else notice he forgot to install the two screws that hold the motor guard to the trans brace. Lol.

http://bit.ly/H53kEI
102 RC vehicles and counting...

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Anything higher then the starting price will help compensate the over 10 hours of work to build this monster of a RC10.
:roll:

trkneller
Approved Member

Post by trkneller »

I have also been surprised by the number of negative comments about parts fit. My experience with the re-re build is that parts fit is much better than the original. The plastic seems softer, too, which made any flash trimming a breeze. I did have a binding front left suspension, but that was way better than the original where the entire front end was binding. :)

Yes, there's some play between some of the mounting points. But that IS like the original; and this is supposed to be a re-re.

I didn't buy the r-re expecting a modernized buggy that would compete with the current crop of cars. I bought it so that I could once again build a goldy from the box. I wasn't disappointed.

Thanks Associated!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

it was around '86 or when i built my first rc10, i was around 13 years old. maybe its because i was young and not as experienced/patient/etc, but i remember the o.g. being more unfinished.

i got a frog a few years before the rc10, so like 84 or 85?... anyway i remember the frogs rear gearbox and specifically the rear axles being a huge pita. i built another o.g. frog back about 10 years ago and it was remarkably easier. ;)

i didnt really do anything to my re-re rc10 besides trim the back of the noseplate, bearings, worlds steering, lunsford tbuckles with rpm ends, and black idler gears. my front end was just a bit tight, but wasnt binding or notchy. and with the shocks on i dont notice it. i figure it'll wear itself in. ;) i still need to dig around for some 1/4" mip stubs so i can swap out the dogbones with cvds.

anyway, i like the re-re. i think its everything it should have been. if you are the type to take a countersink to the holes and all that, it just means your car will be that much more refined than the rest.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

badhoopty wrote:and black idler gears
Hoopty, why the black idlers? I thought the "new" creamy idlers are designed to be "superior" to the old versions?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

reptilejason
Approved Member

Post by reptilejason »

joeman37 wrote:
flipwils11 wrote:I'm just amazed at the naivite of some people in this thread. All of the folks swearing that it just made no sense to make this such a limited edition, so therefore if that's what they spew on an internet message board, then it must make it so, what reality are you living in? But now SHOCK and DISBELIEF that the run may be over? Really? Are you thinking rationally? As the saying goes, you snooze you lose.

Lamborghini has some new special carbon fiber supercar, can't remember what it is called, but they made 4 I think. In the world. For a few million dollars a piece. That market for car collectors that can afford that car is probably in the hundreds. Dammit why didn't Lamborghini make more, what a stupid business decision! :roll: (heavy sarcasm)

LOL you crack me up comparing a hand built supercar that sells for millions to a mass produced RC car that sells for $250. Not apples to apples at all man. And yes it is a poor business decision to build a mass produced product and not meet consumer demand. It honestly is Economics 101 specific luxury items that are not mass produced, like your supercar analogy, are an anomaly and perhaps actually a good business decision because then the next time they make a new limited edition car they know they can charge whatever the hell they want for it.

-Joe
Joel,

I think you and many others are forgetting that this may very well be a marketing ploy for Associated. Companies are constantly introducing products that are great sellers and pulling them from the shelf, all in an attempt to draw publicity and renew interests in other products. We do not know what the production costs are for this product and they may very well be losing money on every unit they sell (thus the small amount of cars). They outsourced the RC10 to China in order to mitigate their production costs. Sure, they could raise the price of the car, which truly is economics 101 supply and demand dictates value, but their goal was never to make money from this car. Instead, they wanted publicity and to make new hobbyist and older ones aware of their branding. I am sure they are aware that this may drive some customers away, but they probably believe that they will gain many more. Companies are about profits. I believe they have achieved their goal, as we are visiting Tower hobbies (perhaps many people are new to the hobby) and viewing all of their other products as a result.

Anyways, I have absolutely no insider knowledge, but this is an alternative theory to the theory that AE is completely incompetant and does not know how to sell their products for a profit.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Well said Jason, very good points.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

JK Racing wrote:
badhoopty wrote:and black idler gears
Hoopty, why the black idlers? I thought the "new" creamy idlers are designed to be "superior" to the old versions?
probably so... i had some and thought they were better.

if the new ones are better ill swap them out.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Pretty sure the original white ones are best. :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

says the guy wanting to unload 34 packs. :mrgreen: