Traveling with Rc cars on an airplane?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

terry.sc
Approved Member

Re: Traveling with Rc cars on an airplane?

Post by terry.sc »

The big problem these days is lipos. At the 2011 Off Road Worlds drivers found their spare lipos in checked in luggage were confiscated and destroyed by the airline, but the lipos left in the cars and in carry on luggage passed through okay. It's also useful to carry a copy of an r/c car magazine with you, so you can show customs what you are carrying and why an adult has a toy car with him.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

These are all good posts.

I travel for work a few times per year so I was thinking of someway I could bring either My Raider or my 1/18 rally car with me to cruise around in the hotel parking lot when I'm not working.

I think I'll look into the various vehicle hauler bags. If I can find something big enough to haul my Clodbuster that would be sweet.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Your raider knows what it's like to be traveled with to work. It's ben in my Associated bag and worked on while I was working in the field when I had it. Unfortunately for you, the bags get much bigger and are more of a pain to drag around if you want one for the Claud Buster.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

it would suck if they "lost" your bag .. that associated bag is cool .. will it hold a world car or maybe a rc10t/jrxt ? without having to pull the tires off

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

vintage AE wrote:Your raider knows what it's like to be traveled with to work. It's ben in my Associated bag and worked on while I was working in the field when I had it. Unfortunately for you, the bags get much bigger and are more of a pain to drag around if you want one for the Claud Buster.
It's a good buggy to have with you for the time you find a good field to run in or whatever. I picked up some dogbones for it too have some spares and I'm looking at some 2.2 wheels/tires for more tire options. Other than that it's the way I bought it from you. Figure it's the perfect buggy to take with me on work trips.

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

[youtube]pofUsd9hEi8[/youtube]
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Hahahaha. I was thinking of that part when I typed this thread. :lol:

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

When I worked at Schumacher and had to fly to races I would pack everything in pit bags, to include my lipo's and backup cars.

I would fly with my primary car in my backpack and carry my radio in my radio case as a carry-on

TSA never really gave me to much crap about it. I usually had a couple magazines or entry forms for the race to show where I was going and what I was doing with them, also business cards from Schumacher helped.

Most of the TSA guys are aware of the cars, but I always had the "We looked at your stuff" cards in my bags when I landed.

I last did this in 2010...

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

I got stuck in airport security one time when i travelled with a die cast death star toy. It was a gift for my son. Security made me completely unpack the bag, open the sealed box, and take it out for inspection. Looking back its funny, but at the time not so much:)

Limestang

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Maybe if the word "death" was not in the toy's title, all would have been well :wink:

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

So even if you get the bag packed well enough to safely travel with your rc cars and gear, is it worth the $50 bag fees? What about shipping ups or FedEx ground a day or two in advance to a local shipping facility (hold for pick up) and then pick it up when you arrive?

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

flipwils11 wrote:So even if you get the bag packed well enough to safely travel with your rc cars and gear, is it worth the $50 bag fees? What about shipping ups or FedEx ground a day or two in advance to a local shipping facility (hold for pick up) and then pick it up when you arrive?
You can ship items to yourself at any post office in the us using general delivery. It gets delivered to the office and you pic it up at the window. You'll have to show your id. There's no extra fees to do this, just normal shipping rates.

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

flipwils11 wrote:So even if you get the bag packed well enough to safely travel with your rc cars and gear, is it worth the $50 bag fees? What about shipping ups or FedEx ground a day or two in advance to a local shipping facility (hold for pick up) and then pick it up when you arrive?
We started doing that at Schuie because it was cheaper in the long run, those bag fee's creep up on you, I even shipped my clothes a few times

GreenHell
Approved Member

Post by GreenHell »

I've flown with my RC race gear to SoCal a half dozen times with no issues, I always try to work in a club race when on business trips :mrgreen: . I pack everything I need in a hard suit case (lots of bubble wrap) and it comes in just under the 50lb. limit, any heavier and there is an additional fee.
"All I wanted was a Pepsi..."

My Gallery | My Feedback | Rapid_RC