Is this a lazer zx-5 or zx-5 sp.... Or are they the same?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brocklee
Approved Member

Is this a lazer zx-5 or zx-5 sp.... Or are they the same?

Post by Brocklee »

I just got this off of eBay to race in 4wd along with my xx4. However I'm not really a kyosho guy, was this worth the $46 I paid for it?

http://bit.ly/15Ed3qk
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Is this a lazer zx-5 or zx-5 sp.... Or are they the same

Post by Coelacanth »

I'd say that carbon fiber chassis plate is worth that much, so sure. There's a lot of plas-tastic chassis' out there you couldn't get for under $50, so I think you got a swell deal. Swell...now there's a word I haven't used...ever. How swell is that? Groovy. :mrgreen:

Can't quite see what shocks those are, but they look like 3Racing Lazer dampers, which work quite well. But there are no side-view pics so I can't be sure.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

Spiffy! Glad I could find a hum dinger :D . I've read good stuff and I'll have to take more pictures when I get it
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Good price should clean up ok

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

ZX-5 SP (or converted to SP) with aftermarket carbon chassis and FS (?) body. The shocks may be the ZX-5 readyset shocks. There might be more under the grime, but first it needs a good clean-up.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Yeah, looks like a regular zx5 with some ad ons. When it first came out, there were a bunch of upgrades available from aftermarket, such as that carbon plate chassis. I had the distinction of being the first guy in our club to race a zx5 locally,, and soon after almost everybody had one! Within weeks there were a couple of those plate chassis at the track. Id say you got a great deal! No matter what combination of parts it has, if its a solid roller then the price was awsome.

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

I got her all cleaned up and all the eletronics ordered. We have a big race this weekend that I'd like to run this can in, however that's only if I receive my radio on time. I sold my old m11 a couple of months ago to pay for some repairs on our atv and I've had a ae rtr am radio I've been using just to bash around. But yesterday I sold one if my many rc10gts and the radio with it, along with a revo. So long story short I decided to do a semi budget build with this. What I've bought for the electronics are a speed passion reventon pro/8.5r esc and motor combo for $130, a futaba 4pl for $125 (used) and a futaba s9451 (used)for $35 so with the price of the car I've spent a total of $336 on everything :D . I plan on running this along side my xx4 we. I'll try and get more pictures tonight of the chassis to help identify it. All and all i think this has been one of my most favorite second hand purchases, along with my xx4 (everyone should own a xx4 at some point!) Here's a side pic of the car after I got it all cleaned up
Attachments
image.jpg

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I agree about everybody should own a xx4 at some point! I had 1 when they first quit making them, before the 2nd production run started. It was the best 4wd buggy I had ever driven. To this day, I have never been able to tune any 4wd buggy suspension to work as well as a xx4 setup. Not zx5, not bj4, nothing. Too many 4wd buggies in boxes in my garage already,, but another xx4 couldnt hurt..

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

rccars4sal wrote: Too many 4wd buggies in boxes in my garage already,, but another xx4 couldnt hurt..
Impossible, no one can every have "to many 4wd buggies" :mrgreen:. What I don't understand is why more people don't run the wheeler class, it's my most favorite to race and to watch period. If you shop around they're not that much more than 2wd buggies, and if you go used you can get a really good setup for as much as a new rtr 2wd. Maintenance really isn't that bad either, you have one more diff to worry about and if you don't want that to worry about many of the new buggies have geared diffs that are low maintenance. However I wish there were more stock classes here in the states, I think that's the one thing keeping most people from getting into the wheeler class, Most places I've seen only run mod wheeler. Now I need to try and hunt down a yz10 for cheap...

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

In my area 4wd buggy was also strictly a mod class. Very exciting to race 4wd back in the day. The cars were soo much faster, it was actually like racing. I tried 2wd truck stock, and it was boring slow, stuck to 4wd mod. Imagine getting hit in the shin by an out of control 4wd buggy while corner marsheling! Ouch! Trying to get my hands on another xx4. Was tempted to go for a couple of ZX5s on ebay, but after seeing your killer deal, I couldnt bring myself to pay considerably more. Ill wait for a good deal.

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

I think the stars were aligned when I got mine. IMO the biggest reason it went for so cheap is because it was the sellers first sell on ebay and he had no feedback. I kinda stuck my neck out on it hoping it wasn't a fraud but eBay also has buyer protection for stuff like that so I wasn't too worried about it. I think if you can pickup a xx4 for around $100-$125 that's a pretty good deal. I haven't really paid attention too much to the zx5's but I would think if you could pick one up for the same price on a nice condition one it would be a pretty good deal. And if you haven't looked check out the classifieds on rctech, they have a good amount of newer stuff on there, and xx4's pop up probably once a week or so. Possibly more often now that those pictures of Losi's new wheeler have been spotted.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I got a good deal on zx5! Not as good as yours, but good. Local sale, and has a ton of plastic spare parts,, and a ton of worn and broken diff and trans parts. Needs complete rebuild, but shouldnt have to buy anything to make it mint. I went ahead and got a new chassis anyway though.

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

rccars4sal wrote:I got a good deal on zx5! Not as good as yours, but good. Local sale, and has a ton of plastic spare parts,, and a ton of worn and broken diff and trans parts. Needs complete rebuild, but shouldnt have to buy anything to make it mint. I went ahead and got a new chassis anyway though.
Awesome! I've only had time to take this to the track once since I've gotten it, and I liked how it felt however I did loose a wheel nut and refused to pay the $20 for 4 wheel nuts that the hobby store had so I only ran two heats with it. Since I was the only one with a wheeler that week I got placed in with 2wd mod. I ended up placing 2nd in my first heat but the car felt like crap it would understeer into the corner and oversteer out of it, I decided my servo saver was too soft and changed it out and after that it ran like a champ, the next heat I took 1st and tq. I ended up spending around $350 for everything including the car, radio and electronics. I ended up putting a speed passion reventon pro esc in it, futaba servo (can't remember the p/n but it's digital has a 60* speed of .09 at 6v, and 130 oz/in at 6v) and a futaba 4pl radio. I've been really happy with it and I've started looking for some of the older zxr, zxs or original zx to try out some of the older cars.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Brocklee wrote:however I did loose a wheel nut and refused to pay the $20 for 4 wheel nuts that the hobby store had
Holy crap, were they made of gold? :shock:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Brocklee wrote:
rccars4sal wrote:I got a good deal on zx5! Not as good as yours, but good. Local sale, and has a ton of plastic spare parts,, and a ton of worn and broken diff and trans parts. Needs complete rebuild, but shouldnt have to buy anything to make it mint. I went ahead and got a new chassis anyway though.
Awesome! I've only had time to take this to the track once since I've gotten it, and I liked how it felt however I did loose a wheel nut and refused to pay the $20 for 4 wheel nuts that the hobby store had so I only ran two heats with it. Since I was the only one with a wheeler that week I got placed in with 2wd mod. I ended up placing 2nd in my first heat but the car felt like crap it would understeer into the corner and oversteer out of it, I decided my servo saver was too soft and changed it out and after that it ran like a champ, the next heat I took 1st and tq. I ended up spending around $350 for everything including the car, radio and electronics. I ended up putting a speed passion reventon pro esc in it, futaba servo (can't remember the p/n but it's digital has a 60* speed of .09 at 6v, and 130 oz/in at 6v) and a futaba 4pl radio. I've been really happy with it and I've started looking for some of the older zxr, zxs or original zx to try out some of the older cars.
Swapping out the servo saver on a ZX-5? You are aware it has an adjustable servo saver built into the steering bellcranks, right? So you don't need one on the servo... :wink:

As for cheap ZX-5s, mine started off as a lot I paid 57 bucks for. ZX-5 SP halfway converted to a ZX-5 FS with some options thrown in. Of course I had to add Big Bore shocks and all the durability enhancing options - so it ended up a bit more expensive :roll: Got the body painted this summer, only need to add electronics and find a good place to run.