RCTalk iphone cases

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

RCTalk iphone cases

Post by vintage AE »

Since I have a few RC10Talk.com stickers laying around I thought I would come up with a cool idea to put them to use. I enjoy airbrushing but, I'm no professional, so I decided to give a plain white Iphone a custom look.

First attempt, epic fail!
Photo1 (5).jpg
The paint came off with the tape :cry: I think I will try a clear hard case next time. I can paint it like a RC body from the inside out and place the stickers as normal. It relates to the RC product better this way too. I just have to protect the inside from paint scraping off from inserting the phone... clear coat, maybe tape? I'm open to suggestions on this one.

I think the "talk" part of the RC10Talk is perfect for the phone 8)

The challenge isn't over yet. Maybe in the end I could do some up for other members if they are interested.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Re: RCTalk iphone cases

Post by justinspeed79 »

I like the idea. 8)

You should try scuffing the case with fine scotch brite or steel wool, then use an adhesion promoter, then a tac coat of primer followed by a couple more light coats.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I got bored last night while working the night shift and decided to make the best of this experiment. I pulled off the paint that didn't take to the rubber and then painted over what was there. I knew I wouldn't be able to mask it up with tape, but who cares :? :D

I decided to use the blue plastic wrap from the Team Blue Groove body I had with me. I could see through it and could see where to cut out the stripes. There was no good way to secure the plastic to the case so I pulled it tot and taped it on the other side and hoped for the best.

With the uneven surface and the fuzzy stripes it looks like a 4 year old did this. I think it works though, given the bright colours and the sticker. It almost looks like it was done with purpose and reason. With a whack of clear coats it's now on my phone :mrgreen:

I assure you though, the next case will be on a whole different level, maybe even a 10yr old level, lol
image (2).jpeg
photo (1).JPG
DSC_0209.JPG
DSC_0210.JPG

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

looks better .. if you want to try a mask where you can see where your cutting try a thing called friskit you can get it at art stores

http://www.grafixarts.com/product/Frisket_Film

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I wonder how well that would work on lexan bodies??? It's could just be easier to use a liquid mask that is specifically designed for lexan.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

liquid mask is the only thing to use for the complet curves of the rc body but if you have a large flat surface like the cell phone or the flat section like the tono cover on the backs of the rc trucks it works great .. and the nice thing is you can cut a section out spray it and repace the section you removed to spray a diffrent colour

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Yo Anthony we have frisket paper at the store! Never really understood how to use it though! I wonder how Curtis Husting pumped out that many paint jobs for retail sale, during the early days of the RC10? I wonder if he used frisket paper? His lines are so clean! Is this a path to take maybe?

That Graphite box art could be easy if so? :?:

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

slotcarrod wrote:Yo Anthony we have frisket paper at the store! Never really understood how to use it though! I wonder how Curtis Husting pumped out that many paint jobs for retail sale, during the early days of the RC10? I wonder if he used frisket paper? His lines are so clean! Is this a path to take maybe?

That Graphite box art could be easy if so? :?:
I'm down for easy, easy means less time. How much is it? I may have to pick some up and experiment.