Check Out My New Ride!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

wickedcrawler
Approved Member

Check Out My New Ride!

Post by wickedcrawler »

:D New to the Forum! Loving it already!

I Wanted one of these since I was a youngster! Finally got one at 35 years old! My brother picked up a LOT of Rc stuff and I bought it off him for 50 bucks. I went through it last night/today and cleaned everything up pretty good for now. I read the thread on peroxiding the white parts in the sun and the next sunny day I am going to do that. They aren't too yellow and I don't want to overwhiten since I want to do a pretty good resto on it. Not a perfect resto because I don't want it to be perfect. I want it to look like its age, but not totally. I will drive it on Sundays to the grocery store. lol! :lol: From the info I found on this site it seems to be a Cadillac from what I can tell. I have the original manual. Its the yellow one and dated 1984 with the Cadillac address on the back page. I could see the A stamp from the bottom of chassis, and when I had the motor out I verified it is in fact an A chassis. Heres some pics. The only thing I have found missing is the front chassis brace tubes, which my brother has found one in the box of stuff. -May find the other one. We will ask the neighbor if he has it. The other thing missing is the front body mount. It runs with the vintage electronics. Ive driven it and its glitchy. I want to upgrade to Lipo/Brushless. Nothing crazy just 2S and a higher Kv I guess so I don't rip the gears out of it. Let me know what you guys think! :mrgreen:

Lee
-wickedcrawler

:mrgreen: 8)

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Re: Check Out My New Ride!

Post by Jedi Master »

Original and fun with a capital 'F'!! 8)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

nice looking car .. did you just stick the wing on there or is that the way its mounted ? as the wing wire should be under the wing and buttons on top

wickedcrawler
Approved Member

Post by wickedcrawler »

Ohhh ok I see, that makes sense! That's just the way it was mounted when I got it.. Ya know I thought something looked weird about it.. thanks for pointing that out for me. The body is pretty rough, maybe tonight ill fire up the dremel and get out the lexan scissors and straighten it out. In some places the body is undertrimmed. but that's a good thing right.. :) Not sure what kind of paint is on it, guessing It may just be regular spray paint.. May try and strip with some nitro, or was thinking of just doing a flat paintjob and do it on the outside anyway... I can shoegoo it in the weak spots and roll with it for a while since its gonna be a weekend runner... Maybe do a flat green or something kinda cool funky.....

So what do you experts think? Im thinking Def Cadillac?

wickedcrawler
Approved Member

Post by wickedcrawler »

Ok so trying to figure out how to get the wire thru the buttons on the bottom side of the wing without destroying it? any tips?

wickedcrawler
Approved Member

Post by wickedcrawler »

Oh nevermind I got it :D

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

and before you do anything else you may want to take off the nose and straighten it. Then get some nose tubes :idea:

wickedcrawler
Approved Member

Post by wickedcrawler »

yep already on the list.. found one of the tubes, trying to find the other.. or ill buy some... need a front body mount 2

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Nice score!

Looks like it's still got the bushings; get on eBay and grab a set of bearings, deal with "ratkowskis"; good folks up in Montana, I get nearly all of my bearing kits from them.

$19 shipped, everything you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Standard-Full-Bearing-Kit-for-Vintage-Team-Associated-RC10-Gold-Pan-/300954657083?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46124ba13b
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

wickedcrawler
Approved Member

Post by wickedcrawler »

Thank you!! Will do that's a great price too!

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

i might get a set for back up nice

as for paint if you want flat you can eather paint the out side or strip it and give the body a once over with 1000-1500 grit to take the shine off

wickedcrawler
Approved Member

Post by wickedcrawler »

I just found the manual online for the Futaba mc112b esc and see that it needs to be setup without the motor connected. I am going to give this a shot. I'm not real familiar with vintage esc's. could this be why the car was glitchy too?

One other thing.. Any recommendations on getting better rear tires without spending a shit ton of money?

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

What would be the best way to straighten the tub ??????? All of my spares are tweaked a little and I always wondered how to do that without screwing the whole thing up...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I always use a good sturdy table edge, a good eye, and my almost 300lbs to muscle it back. You will get to the point that you can get the tweak back straight again with ease after doing it a few hundred times lol
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

wickedcrawler wrote:I just found the manual online for the Futaba mc112b esc and see that it needs to be setup without the motor connected. I am going to give this a shot. I'm not real familiar with vintage esc's. could this be why the car was glitchy too?

One other thing.. Any recommendations on getting better rear tires without spending a shit ton of money?
The only reason to set it with the motor unplugged is just to make it easier. Glitching is typically due to the motor caps not being soldered on or incorrectly done. I twist mine into a trio and solder the three points but everyone has this methods. If the caps are on and correct check that the antenna is away from the power wires and the battery and that it hasn't been cut. You can wind it up inside the chassis if its one of the old long antennas or my preference is the old school heavy duty self mating Velcro, you can thread the antenna wire in it.
Attachments
image.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website