Are you a racer, a basher, a builder or a collector?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: Are you a racer, basher, builder or a collector?

Post by badhoopty »

i have no interest in a spot-on replica of an old racer or boxart car, or a perfectly period correct build, i just like to take a bunch of cool parts and bolt them together.

since i dont like to sell stuff i end up a collector, but its more hoarding than anything.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

basher from the mid/late 80's until i started racing in '91. stopped racing weekly in '02, and raced sporadically each year until '08. started getting into the vintage builds/restos in '05 and that's pretty much all i do now. as much as i would like to get back into weekly racing, it's just not gonna happen. so these days, i gotta go with builder that just collects what i build. :wink:

from '04 or so until '06 i was more of a builder/basher when i was into clods and getting into rock crawling.

cole455
Approved Member

Post by cole455 »

Well, since I built a 94 worlds car when I was 14, hardly ran it, kept it virtually perfect for 19 years and kept the box and manuals too.... .. I'd say, collector. Although, I just bought 2 goldpans I'd like to run at my local track
Very modest, personable genius moonlighting as an airline pilot; looking for position as millionaire international playboy. Note: would prefer position where I don't have to bring my own million...

works92
Approved Member

Post by works92 »

As already said before, all of those, except bashing.
I only get interest for tracks (on-road or off-roads), doing nice curves, jumps....
At the beginning, when i was young :) , i was more a racer ; but today i'm more a builder (re-builder sometimes)
nevertheless i still practicing tracks and club racing (with actual or vintage cars)
As i never sell cars, i'm coming to be a collector, but i'm trying hard to not be... :D
If i must choose one of them, considering on my entire "rc career" i will definitly choose : a BUILDER !

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Are you a racer, a basher, a builder or a collector?

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I'm probably 2 parts builder, 1 part basher and 1 part collector. I have never raced, can't make that type of time & travel commitment with a business and a family.

I honestly do have more fun sourcing/making parts and rebuilding or modifying the vehicles than I do actually using them. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any shelf queens; all of mine get run, and run hard. The collector aspect is that I do tend to prefer vintage to new, and I am constantly adding kits to the stable. Of course, I don't leave them alone. I don't have any nice old original kits. I have nice, older vehicles that have been modded to my liking, which universally means much more power than stock.

Being the gearhead/hot rodder who likes fabrication is probably the biggest reason I prefer nitro; it's more challenging, and I like the realism of having an internal combustion engine and real brakes. Nothing against electrics, I just find them rather boring. My RC10CE will stay electric because I'm not gonna hack up my very first real kit that I mowed countless lawns to purchase at 12 years old. My Losi micro desert truck is still electric because I haven't figured out exactly how to fit a COX .010 or .020 into it's chassis and make it work right (namely cooling), and the recently purchased B3 buggy will remain electric so the wife and kids can play with it. The other ten kits are all nitro.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

j-sou
Approved Member

Re: Are you a racer, a basher, a builder or a collector?

Post by j-sou »

I'm the bashy builder who once raced his collection!
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I'm a little bit of everything which helps keeps me broke.

1.) I race at a club level as I can't afford the travel to race big time.

2.) I like building custom cars and modifying them, I really like the "project" aspect making everything work uniformly.

3.) I enjoy taking out a beat up RC car and giving it a thrash. Fun to try rally cross, drifting offroad cars, big air and speed runs and crawling.

4.) I also enjoy collecting cars, only a few left to obtain before I have at least one of each series Associated from onroad to offroad.

Here's one of my projects, 1.8HP stadium truck which is a custom combination of B4/T4 and Hobao
Attachments
2012-09-18 14.28.58-1.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Racer mainly...but I fall out of it sometimes and do the family thing. So then I find myself bashing for a spell or just occasional running around. Then somehow I get sucked back into racing. Now I'm hoping to hang up the racing thing and just collect a little here and there. Gonna try Kart racing again to hopefully get the boys hooked. So I'll look to restore the RC10s I have now and probably dabble in building some more handbuilt dirt oval cars. One day I wouldn't mind trying some of that Scaler stuff.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

im a racer that will mod anything ... if i just drive my cars i get board very quickly so dont run for fun much

love the build but dont get to do it much unless its a tear down and clean

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Did I miss something the first time around or did this thread get merged with the other one?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

RC10th wrote:Did I miss something the first time around or did this thread get merged with the other one?
i merged it with the other one....... cleaned up your post referencing the other. :wink:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Since this popped back into an active topic, I'll throw in my 'label'.

Most definitely builder, then basher, then collector, although bashing for me is just running cars without intention of inflicting major damage. The builder part isn't exactly accurate either, since I would consider the stuff I did as fabrication over strictly building to a set of directions.

Never had much time/money into being a racer, especially since there were no decent local tracks. I built my own small oval-ish track and me, my brother and a couple friends would have a 'racing' day from time to time, but it was more or less just run your cars around with as many battery packs as you had charged up.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Actually I started as basher almost 30yrs ago, then went to racer as soon as I had a full size car 20yrs ago and could then go to a track... I've always raced ever since, but I hate the big races where you spend 2 days sipping soda (ok, beer sometimes!) in a chair and only run 5mns every couple of hours, so I've always limited myself to club racing and local championships where attendance is lower and you get more wheel time!

With the kid+family thing, I don't have much race time (say one practice and one race a month...) any more so I usually anally rebuild the racecar(s) to death a couple of evenings a week and sometimes get a chance to move on the 100+ projects I have in the pipeline...

I've started buying my youth back in the mid 90's when I got my first fullsize paychecks :)

Not much bashing except the odd lipo running after the kids in the yard, usually with a vintage runner :mrgreen: Running a car in the yard or in the driveway by myself, I find more frustrating than anything else as it reminds me I'd sooooo much rather be at the track chasing the clockwatch or the other drivers :?

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I consider myself to be merely an "R/C Enthusiast". I enjoy looking at and discussing these cars more than anything. I do race quite often and I have a collection of about 25 cars and loads of parts and tires, but it still pales in comparison to many of the real collectors here. :mrgreen: I build very little these days due to losing a lot of work space due to the wife and kid. We're always kinda looking for a bigger home, but have a hard time giving up our location that we love so much. I keep toying with the idea of building a barn, but I think I'm going to finally just get off my ass and do it. It would be great to have a dedicated space of my own so that I can build without having to drag all my stuff out and put it back up all the time. :roll:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: I keep toying with the idea of building a barn, but I think I'm going to finally just get off my ass and do it. It would be great to have a dedicated space of my own so that I can build without having to drag all my stuff out and put it back up all the time. :roll:
Two words....Tuff Shed! 10x16 is a tight area with the other junk in there but if its dedicated "yours" it's perfect! I rolled out some flooring that was scrap (free) and got one with no windows and just one door to minimize break ins. Then, I pointed two of our security cameras right at the only entrance. Fort Knox baby.

To the topic at hand, I was a basher, I was a racer, now I am a hoarder....er I mean collector.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website