Race Master Trailing Link Suspension

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Race Master Trailing Link Suspension

Post by Phin »

Anyone here own one of these kits? I know one sold on eBay several months back, so I'm hoping somewhere here has it, and can post pics of the instructions and parts.

Looking at the ad, it doesn't seem too hard to recreate...but there's obviously details that can't be seen in the pic.

chophead69
Approved Member

Re: Race Master Trailing Link Suspension

Post by chophead69 »

I like that I would def take one if made for sure
My pop always said i had to many iron's in the fire

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I know that address. That was Roadrunner RC south. I didn't realize they were Race Master. That location was around the corner from I&I Hobbies which turned into M&M and is still there. MM was where Bullet Racing began and Raborn was based and they were known for trailing arms as well. The companies were always competing with each other. Forum member Russ Wynn worked at Roadrunner north where I raced. Send him a message to see what he knows about Race Master.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Ran the ad photo through Photoshop to see if I could get more details:
rmtls10s.jpg

Looks to be a piece of fiberglass or graphite underneath the camber link holes, which is probably screwed onto the back of the rear bulkhead, and that's where the bottom arm link attaches.

Both the link that attaches from that FG plate, and the long link coming from the side of the chassis, seem to be inserted directly into the delrin/nylon block...and I assume the links are held in with screws through the block.

I don't get what that bit of delrin that hugs the side link, where it meets the arm block, is for. Is it just for added support or is there something else it's supposed to do. :?:

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

It appears to be suspension limiter to keep from forcing it to break the delrin arm under acceleration,The links are quarter inch same used for monster trucks.Don

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

It has been almost 25 years since I have seen one in person and even then it was only on a car on a shelf. I never saw one run. I'll try to describe the layout the best that I can from what little memory I have of seeing it. First off I don't know what the mystery part is with the question marks. No idea. The general layout is a 3 link suspension. There is a plastic or delrin piece that everything screws into including the shock mount. The rod that comes forward to make up the actual trailing arm part is just a rod that is bolted into the plastic part, so it doesn't swivel there. Only the front of the trailing arms link at the front mount does. The stock hub carrier attaches to the plastic piece with a kingpin and is only supported at the front. The upper link mounts to the bulkhead in the same fashion as it does when it is on a stock a-arm so that component doesn't change. The lower link however is much like the forward trailing arm link. It has a rod end on it as well. It attaches to small plates that attach downwards from the bulkhead which is the piece that you are pointing to. The lower arm can be made longer or shorter or attached higher or lower for a wide range of adjustability. I think there was only 1 shock mount location though and it was fairly far inwards compared to the stock arms.

I "think" that's how it all worked. As I said I only remember looking at one on a shelf in the shop a very long time ago so I never saw one run and never knew anyone that ran it. It shouldn't be all that hard to recreate this setup.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store