Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ca-rj
Approved Member

Re: What Electronics For Your Re-Re?

Post by ca-rj »

I bought a brand new Trinity P2K Pro brushed stock motor and a Tekin G11 ESC. I plan to run lipo with mine though and like Joey will run modern tires when at the track.
joeman37 wrote:I am torn between going with some vintage stuff I have laying around (Novak T-4 and some brushed stock motors from BITD) or something like a cheap Hobbywing brushless ESC and motor. I won't be bashing it and I won't be racing it, it will just go to practice days at the track for fun and some light running. What are you guys going to go with for your re-releases?

-Joe
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

vintage AE
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by vintage AE »

I'm not sure on old or new electronics either, but I see a Reedy pack, LRP esc and not sure about the motor yet...

toyranosaur
Business Member

Post by toyranosaur »

Correct me if appropriate, but all the panic is based on.....no official word from TH, TT, or AE, just prognostications and assumptions? :roll:

Since the dawn of time, sellers have been having 'Going Out of Business' sales with no intention of doing so, doing not-very-limited Ltd. Editions, etc.- No crime, methinks.

My business is a micro version of some of this: I make very Ltd. runs, limited to how many sell within about 10 days. It is not a lie, as many find out soon after release :cry: , and this rarity makes my items double to triple in value within a month or two on Ebay. Some hype/panic is good! But to people who are hard-wired to panic, it can be a source of consternation. :P Perhaps AE is doing similarly, that would be my guess. It is very efficient as I do not lose a lot of sales but also do not sit on inventory: Buy only the material, tools & hardware for the project: And my parts have desireability usually reserved for really old vintage pieces.

So, I would recommend that some chaps relax- If you have a pre-order in, I'd say you're fine. Of I'm totally wrong, there ain't nuthin' you can do about it anyway! I have a pre-order in, and quite fully expect my kit. (Of course if I don't get it I'll edit this post w/plenty of bad-mouthing all companies involved..... :twisted: ) Chris REC

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

I went back and forth on brushless or brushed.but I am thinking brushed.my w.o.I.n. runs a brushless my graphite and Rc carbon works buggy will run brushless.and all I run is lipo anymore.
so for a stock buggy I think brushless will be over kill.I want to have fun with it not have to order tires and other parts when I run it.
my whole take on the re re is I built my graphite new but had wanted a gold pan when I got mine they were out at the time so outside of taking a old one apart I always wanted to build one and play with it.so here is my chance.why did I pre oder 3?
simple to have one to play with....to put one away for my grandkids to build (when I have em) Lol.....and another just in case I don't get the other two.(placed orders from two different places)but like I said before if I get the third I will sell it to someone here for cost and shipping.but only to someone who cant or didn't get one.
I have owned my graphite since new.had a gold pan or two but sold them.now I have 15 rc10's.and I love them all.so for me the hype is wearing off but I still want them.who knows maybe I will bling the 2nd one oh and Swiss cheese the chassis and lipo with the sand tires I have with chris's aluminum wheels if he makes em.but the thing is I get to donit to a brand new car not a craigslist hand me down.or ebay reject
My pop always said i had to many iron's in the fire

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

A 21.5T motor is a good approximation for a silver can 540 motor while a 17.5T is close to old 27 turn stock motors. No boost obviously.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

has anyone considered 10.5 & 1 cell lipo?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

jaro
Approved Member

Post by jaro »

JK Racing wrote:has anyone considered 10.5 & 1 cell lipo?
Played about with 1S in a GT12 last Winter and found without compatible servo and speedo, it could cause problems due to the lower voltage. 2S is so much less hassle :)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, 1 cell has it's problems. I'd stick to a 2s pack, and a decent motor and don't sweat it. I used to beat my 6 gear car and it's not as bad as you hear, especially since the new one will have some improved areas. the diff balls and rings used to be cheap, you score them up and it takes 5 minutes to swap out.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

You just need the same voltage regulators that the carpet car guys use, then no servo power issues.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Charlie don't surf wrote:You just need the same voltage regulators that the carpet car guys use, then no servo power issues.
exactly...I've just been tossing that idea around in my head a lot lately for offroad in general (buggy). I want to really get a solid easy system thought out/designed in my head, where the stock tires wouldnt be destroyed in an instant, but still be competitive and fun with a group of vintage cars out there.

my thoughts so far:

1 cell lipo 5000 limit
10.5 motor
open gearing
all box stock parts/tires/wheels
vintage paint
bearings allowed

Sort of my version of VTA, but for re-re vintage offroad.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Are you wanting that setup so you have a slower speed but without the high levels of torque?
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

more "realistic" vintage feel, but the efficiency and reliability of brushless & lipo. run times should be reasonable if not pretty good.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

10.5 boosted is wicked fast when done right... in onroad it's roughly equivalent to last-gen 12 turns before BL took over. It's way too fast for a lot of people. 10.5 unboosted + lipo is already very competitve a powerplant in 2wd on a modern track...

I think people need to remember this is a short-armed Rc10 without slipper here... in other words, it handles like a 30y.o. car, closer to a Tamiya Frog than a B4... the most gentle motor you put in it, the likelier you will feel that it doesn't handle like a POS and will want to throw it against the wall after the first pack... 21.5T looks the only reasonable choice to me unless one likes disappointments...

Paul
(who ordered 2 kits, so not like I don't like the car!)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

Lonestar wrote:10.5 boosted is wicked fast when done right... in onroad it's roughly equivalent to last-gen 12 turns before BL took over. It's way too fast for a lot of people. 10.5 unboosted + lipo is already very competitve a powerplant in 2wd on a modern track...

I think people need to remember this is a short-armed Rc10 without slipper here... in other words, it handles like a 30y.o. car, closer to a Tamiya Frog than a B4... the most gentle motor you put in it, the likelier you will feel that it doesn't handle like a POS and will want to throw it against the wall after the first pack... 21.5T looks the only reasonable choice to me unless one likes disappointments...

Paul
(who ordered 2 kits, so not like I don't like the car!)

Good point - we've all forgotten how limited these things are compared to modern machinery with bigger grippy tyres and wide track.

I was going for 13T brushless, assuming 17T was way too slow, but now I'm thinking 17.5T is about right, especially with the punch of lipo packs. Last thing I want is to ruin my new re-re which will only be an occassional and light runner.

I'm even thinging of just throwing a Tamiya Lightly Tuned brushed motor in initially; they are cheap as chips at $13 a piece, slightly quicker than a stock silver can motor but nothing too crazy.

jaro
Approved Member

Post by jaro »

I'm thinking a 21.5t is similar to an old silver can motor and a 17.5t been more comparable to an old 27t standard motor. So I'm going to start with a 17.5t with no boost or timing and see how that feels and then maybe play about with a few adjustments. But I'm guessing it'll be near the limit between driving the car and trying to keep it all together, both in driving and car maintenance.