Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

orangemazda
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by orangemazda »

OK, I talked myself into it! One on back order for me too!

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

I just heard some news... Don't know how real it is, but from what I understand is that AE had a set amount that they were making on the "Limited" run and when that quantity was done, that's it. I also heard from the same source, that Distributors like Great Planes (Tower) and HRP have not had anything sell like this in at least the past ten years or more.

At the same time, every single hobby shop that I have talked to or know about (There is a lot of them being I used to be in that industry) Ordered at least 10 of them from both distributors... So think about the amount of hobby shops that you know about and then think about how many people might have ordered online and guess at what kind of hype this has created. Hopefully AE will realize that maybe they need to make more -OR- Maybe we all can possibly get our hands on one or two and the priceless value they will have. :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I was going to cancel my tower order (for one) and up it to two, but now I dont want to chance not getting one (allegedly, great marketing strategy). I will scour the LHS after the release and buy (a second) one off the shelf :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

tommykart
Approved Member

Post by tommykart »

i wonder if they will do what the Franklin Mint used to do with their "limited quantities" . . . . . . limited to the number sold :lol:

I worked at a woodworking shop that made the frames for prints that were "limited"; there must have been about 100,000 prints that were unframed. It said right on the print that is was a limited edition and the owner or the shop said limited to the number sold, and that they had done a bunch of different prints for the franklin mint that were sold in the same exact manner.

I will not be buying one, as i am fortunate enough to still have my rc10 from 1986 in the same condition when i boxed it up all those years ago. One day i will tear it down clean off the race dirt from 1987 and retire her to shelf queen status.
Tom

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Orange wrote:I just heard some news... Don't know how real it is, but from what I understand is that AE had a set amount that they were making on the "Limited" run and when that quantity was done, that's it. I also heard from the same source, that Distributors like Great Planes (Tower) and HRP have not had anything sell like this in at least the past ten years or more.

At the same time, every single hobby shop that I have talked to or know about (There is a lot of them being I used to be in that industry) Ordered at least 10 of them from both distributors... So think about the amount of hobby shops that you know about and then think about how many people might have ordered online and guess at what kind of hype this has created. Hopefully AE will realize that maybe they need to make more -OR- Maybe we all can possibly get our hands on one or two and the priceless value they will have. :)
Jeez, thanks for the insight. I hope the folks taking preorders honor them based on timing/sequence when they came in and don't pull some crap like a lottery to settle it. :?

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

flipwils11 wrote:I hope the folks taking preorders honor them based on timing/sequence when they came in and don't pull some crap like a lottery to settle it. :?
Will they have to honor the order that posts were made here that say "I'll buy one (or 2)"? :lol:

In all seriousness, that'll be a tough one to sort out depending how orders are placed. If it truly going to be that 'limited', there are going to be some upset people. :shock:

On the other hand though, if there are only 2000 (or whatever small-ish number) I find it odd that Tower would mass email everyone that the RC10 is being re-released. To me that would be some poor marketing to not be able to fill orders. Unless they really thought there would be no interest. :oops:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

blown5.0
Approved Member

Post by blown5.0 »

From a business standpoint, it would not make sense to put such a small limit on this car if there is a much higher demand.
To go through all the expense of remaking molds to sell only a small amount and not profit from it is rediculous.
If the demand is there, fire the mold machines and other equipment back up, and make enough that anyone who wants one gets one.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Fortunately they can make order another production run if it sells far beyond their expectations. Once you already have tooling setup and everything else worked out, another production run is fairly easy.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

oldschoolrcer

Post by oldschoolrcer »

Seeing as how AE hasn't actually (that "I " know of) come out and given a number, they can pretty much do what they want as far as what they produce. If they give a solid number upfront and change it after selling out or after seeing the interest it opens them up to a lawsuit. There is currently a pending suit against Chrysler Corp for doing that on a certain "limited edition" pickup they built .

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

kink wrote:I am not hugely convinced any of us will be here in a decade anyway, the way the world is going right now. So buy them, thrash them and have fun while you can.
Translation: YOLO!
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Let's not forget that the interest you see on this here site might not be representative of everywhere else. What might appear to be a "selling ice on a hot day" craze might be skewed by the fact that of COURSE people here are falling over themselves to buy these kits, but are you seeing the same thing over on Tamiya forum, RCTech, URC, and other RC-related sites? (I don't really know as I don't participate much on any of those sites.)

Thought it was worth mentioning because even if you counted up all the backorders mentioned by forum members here, it's probably not even more than a couple hundred. And that's on a site dedicated to vintage RC10's.

Food for thought. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the other forums are pretty excited too, except for a few guys that either don't understand it or are just dense.

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

Whether they sell alll on day one or day ten thousand doesn't take away the fact those moulds will be churning out plenty of spare parts too, they will probably sell as many of those at much greater profit than the kits themselves. And full parts support means they will continue to reap profit on those for years to come. AE clearly stated the RTR market weren't too interested in stripping down, buying spares and fixing broken cars n trucks.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Hmm...had a look at the mere 13 pages of posts over at RCTech.net (compared to the 56 and counting here), and RCTech boasting thousands more members than here, and I don't know if I'd call that a buying frenzy...just observations, nothing more. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

On URC there's only 16 pages and most of the last page is a discussion about why there aren't more pages.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.