B4.1 front and rear shocks on an RC10

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Re: B4.1 front and rear shocks on an RC10

Post by Phin »

Do your B4.1 RTR shock bodies have the threaded bottom end for the cap that holds the o-rings? If yes, they are the V2 shocks. The Factory Team V2 shocks are gray and threaded, the RTR V2 were blue non-threaded.

If they don't have the cap at the bottom of the shock bodies they're not V2. The original Factory Team gray shocks came both threaded and non-threaded, and in blue non-threaded.

Original FT threaded 1.18" shocks http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=ASC9662
V2 FT threaded 1.18" shocks: http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=cs&pn=asc7479

The original RC10 rear shocks used 1.32" bodies and shafts so you don't need a truck rear tower to use them...just a bunch of internal limiters.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

thanks for the info, So I'm good on the rears. it looks like the original could run 0.71 shocks so i need to make up a difference of 0.31 I've not done a rebuild on any shocks yet but i guess there is always a time to learn. I'm gonna max out the length with mounting holds first before I modify and see what I need.

on a side note. What is the point to letting the shocks limit the travel of the arms? Shouldn't the bulkheads or arm mounts handle it? I mean it seems to me like a slight extra in travel distance could save the shocks if something horribly tragic happened like somehow ripping an arm off. The shock would have a little leeway after it happened so wouldn't experience the full impact of what knocked the arm off.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

DMAT wrote:thanks for the info, So I'm good on the rears. it looks like the original could run 0.71 shocks so i need to make up a difference of 0.31 I've not done a rebuild on any shocks yet but i guess there is always a time to learn. I'm gonna max out the length with mounting holds first before I modify and see what I need.
.31" difference for the body plus another .31" difference for the shock shaft.
on a side note. What is the point to letting the shocks limit the travel of the arms? Shouldn't the bulkheads or arm mounts handle it? I mean it seems to me like a slight extra in travel distance could save the shocks if something horribly tragic happened like somehow ripping an arm off. The shock would have a little leeway after it happened so wouldn't experience the full impact of what knocked the arm off.
In the rear you use internal limiters to control down travel so the CVD/Unis/dog bones don't fall out of the outdrives, and you limit up travel so the drive shafts don't hit the top of the outdrives on full compression and potentially chew each other to pieces.

In the front you want the shocks to control travel so the car doesn't try to bury it's nose underground.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

ok, maybe i should look at this in a different way then. Most new shocks measure eye to eye for size, im guessing thats fully extended. any idea what they are for the rc10. maybe a gt shock wont be plug and play but Id imagine other cars could be.

It seems like the rc10 shocks are a lot shorter than other 1/10 scale car shocks so maybe i'll need to look at a smaller scale.

sorry that I ask these question. its easier to look up stuff on a work pc but i dont have access to my cars to check parts.

EDIT:

after looking around at shocks. The tec-4 and rc18b shocks look like they could work, but im still looking for more accurate info on their length.

It seems like the GT shocks might be the easier choice but ill have to change out all the shafts and find some new shaft ends too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200843896127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

these are what im trying to put on the car.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

A 1.02" shock is ~87mm eye to eye. A .71" is ~71mm.

Shocks from a 1/18 car have a much much smaller bore size so they won't work and touring car shocks are likely closer in length to .56" shocks than .71" shocks. AE still makes .56" shocks so there's no reason to look elsewhere for them. ;)

3Racing, or Yeah Racing probably have shocks that should fit.

DMAT wrote:...
It seems like the GT shocks might be the easier choice but ill have to change out all the shafts and find some new shaft ends too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200843896127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

these are what im trying to put on the car.
You're going to need new towers for those....front definitely and probably rear too.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I really dont know if it will or wont fit but I'll find out when all my stuff comes in. I was gonna post about what im running it on but i'll post when I start its build thread.