Alternative to Brand Name Lube?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kobur
Approved Member

Alternative to Brand Name Lube?

Post by Kobur »

Is there an commonly available (non-mail-order, non-hobby-shop) alternative to differential lube by the car manufacturer? I ask this because I bought my first kit to build (RC18T2/RC18B2) and have ended up ordering additional parts followed by additional parts, followed by more additional parts, etc. Now if I mail order even one my thing, I think my wife may kill me! However, I do not have diff lube and need to build two ball diff's (some of the additional parts), which need diff lube to properly build and install. So, I am wanting to know if there is an acceptable commonly available substitute for name brand.

Anyone?
Kobur
RC10T2-Futaba MC210CB, FP-R112JE, FP-S148, Futaba Magnum Sport, FlySky FS-GT3B & FS-GTR 3
Arrma Granite, Traxxas Bandit TQ Brushed (kid's cars);
RC18B2 w/Mamba Micro Pro/5300kV Castle Creations 0808 Motor;
RC10B4.1 RTR w/ SC500BL ESC & Reedy 3300kv motor

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Alternative to Brand Name Lube?

Post by GoMachV »

Dude shoot me your address and I will send you a tube of stealth lube, it's not worth getting a divorce over! I can't believe they don't come with it.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Kobur
Approved Member

Post by Kobur »

gomachv wrote:Dude shoot me your address and I will send you a tube of stealth lube, it's not worth getting a divorce over! I can't believe they don't come with it.
I appreciate it. I will PM address. Wasn't trying to mooch, though. The kit came with gear diffs which use included black grease, however, the rear gear diff actually rubs against the spur gear, so I thought the ball diff would be a better choice. However, the ball diff assemblies don't come with diff lube and I didn't have the foresight (or experience) to order any with all the other things I ordered.
Kobur
RC10T2-Futaba MC210CB, FP-R112JE, FP-S148, Futaba Magnum Sport, FlySky FS-GT3B & FS-GTR 3

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I have extra, it's cool. Just surprised they don't include it. Associated used to be good about that kind of thing.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Kobur
Approved Member

Post by Kobur »

I would have appreciated AE including an extra 2mm e-clip or two in the bag. Started the build in the order of the instructions with the shocks and promptly launched one of the e-clips across the room, never to be seen again. So the next week while I waited for my bag of e-clips to arrive I built as much as I could around my three-shock machine.

It's been fits and starts like that the whole way. When I finally get the whole thing done I'll probably write a tribulations/build post. Or a how NOT to build a car thread. :lol:
Kobur

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Wow associated has gotten cheap. You used to get a roll of e clips.

I guess it's just nice to actually be able to buy a kit from them still
Factory Works website

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Exactly, you used to get a paper roll of clips, nearly enough for two cars.

I would have expected better from Associated too.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

This is what I was getting at the other day with my TT comment. Associated is not what they used to be. :(

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Use the black grease for the small thrust bearing and for the main part, ball diff grease is just a sliicone grease, available from plumbers merchants.
Kobur wrote:I would have appreciated AE including an extra 2mm e-clip or two in the bag. Started the build in the order of the instructions with the shocks and promptly launched one of the e-clips across the room, never to be seen again.
There's a trick to this. Put small e-clips on with your hands inside a large clear plastic bag. That way if a clip flies off it will usually remain inside the bag, and if it does manage to fly out it will be in your lap.

steve
Approved Member

Post by steve »

The rear diff needs more shims, I think that I had 2 or 3 more shims on mine to get the diff of the sper If the drive line is tight you over tightened the belt cover. Thighen till the screw bottoms out them back off 1/16 to 1/18 turn. I know this does not sound right but that is what AE told me and it works

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

You ever buy a lot of ebay to get the car but end up with the tool box too? This came with a lot I got a while back. Who knows where it's been, or what it's lubed...
100_4479.JPG
- Brian -

My Gallery

Kobur
Approved Member

Post by Kobur »

terry.sc wrote:Use the black grease for the small thrust bearing and for the main part, ball diff grease is just a sliicone grease, available from plumbers merchants.
Kobur wrote:I would have appreciated AE including an extra 2mm e-clip or two in the bag. Started the build in the order of the instructions with the shocks and promptly launched one of the e-clips across the room, never to be seen again.
There's a trick to this. Put small e-clips on with your hands inside a large clear plastic bag. That way if a clip flies off it will usually remain inside the bag, and if it does manage to fly out it will be in your lap.
So, I wish I'd had this tip about three weeks ago! 8) Wow, what a great idea. Thanks.

As far as silicone, is shock fluid too thin? It's basically silicone grease, but thinner, right?
Kobur

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

It's about the consistency (roughly) as petroleum jelly. Don't use ky. Don't ask. Lol.
Factory Works website

Kobur
Approved Member

Post by Kobur »

steve wrote:The rear diff needs more shims, I think that I had 2 or 3 more shims on mine to get the diff of the sper If the drive line is tight you over tightened the belt cover. Thighen till the screw bottoms out them back off 1/16 to 1/18 turn. I know this does not sound right but that is what AE told me and it works
I didn't have any more shims than the two that came with each diff. However, after installing the ball diffs, no rubbing, belts not too tight. Drive train seems to work just fine. Now I'm just waiting on the 1/18 size battery and the servo to get this baby operational Hoping those parts will come tomorrow after noon! :D
Kobur