a5015 shock cartridges?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nitrousdave

a5015 shock cartridges?

Post by nitrousdave »

First off, nice forum. Had an original JRXT in the early 90's and just got another one together and used the A5015 cartridges for the first time. Is there supposed to be a seal between the cartridge and the shock body? Also, there are three plastic spacers that come with them, I get that the long one goes between the two seals but what are the other two for? The instructions don't mention what to do with them. Took it to the indoor track last night and had more than one person ask me what it was lol.

jamin
Approved Member

Re: a5015 shock cartridges?

Post by jamin »

There shouldnt be a seal between the shock body and the cartridge housing, ensure its tight and they shouldnt leak. I think the 2 remaining spacers are A & B spacers, which are purely to adjust the amount of droop/plunge the shock shaft has - more of a tuning aid.

nitrousdave

Post by nitrousdave »

Thanks, appreciate it. On a side note has anybody ever tried to put a rear sway bar on a JRXT?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

As Jamin points out the these newer style cartridges do not need the O ring seal between the cartridge moulding & the shock body - the taper in the moulding ensures that there is a good seal once nipped up tight. If you still have the original cartridges you will notice that they are quite a bit longer, the taller spacer put between the new cartridge & the piston should give roughly the same droop effect as the shocks built with the original cartridges :wink:

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I personally didn't like the plastic to aluminum seal...and there were times when it still leaked. There were several of us that modified the newer cartridge so that an o-ring could be used...just like the older cartridge. I guess I could have just cranked on it to seal it better, but I noticed that it sometimes caused the piston to bind.

I don't think you'll have any problems leaking (shocks...not a medical condition :lol: ), but if you do...you can always use teflon tape on the threads.

And I love the fact that people don't even know what kind of truck it was. Are you running the 5 link on it as well?

nitrousdave

Post by nitrousdave »

No, not running the 5 link. I'm not exactly sure what arms they are in the rear possibly LXT/NXT I think. I'll have to post some pictures and see what you guys think they are.
Was there ever a metal spindle made for the jrxt? I broke four right side ones tonight at the track (indoor carpet). Apparently old brittle plastic deoesn't hold up well lol. I was also looking at the NXT i have in the basement and noticed the entire frontend will swap over and it has beefier looking spindles. I was wondering how the truck would handle with the NXT frontend? Overall width appears to be pretty close between the two. Just trying to make the truck more durable so I can kick some new school butt.