Another new guy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fireguy14
Approved Member

Another new guy

Post by fireguy14 »

Howdy yall. Yet another newb to the world of things RC10, and I can't thank you guys enough for the info I have gotten from here. Few years back I had given my old Blackfoot to a neighbor and co-worker for his son. They never finished it up, now the son is 16. My daughter is having a blast with her rc car (a walmart Christmas gift) so I asked about getting my truck back if they were not going to use it. He said no problem at all as he could use the space back. Not only did I get it, but a bunch of other stuff another co-worker had given him, including an A stamp RC-10.

The Rc10 is the one I always drooled over in the hobby shop, but was never able to get. Was blown away when I realized what I now had. I got to looking at it and decided to see if this one still ran, and it did! It has a KO Propo EX-5 radio and a KO propo receiver, along with an original looking speed control. Works pretty good, but have only run it on pavement as of yet. Tires were not in good shape, so was not too concerned with abusing them that way. Yesterday, I took the rear end apart and cleaned the gears, now to get some grease for them.

Did not take any after the cleaning, but it does look much better. Do need to get some wheels and tires, one of the original fronts has a bad wobble in it, along with a break in one of the spokes.

fireguy14
Approved Member

Re: Another new guy

Post by fireguy14 »

OK, got the rear end cleaned up, as best I could. Did not have a small enough wrench to take the super small allen heads out of the 2 plastic gears, so I left them in. The rest cleaned up pretty good, I thought:

I got the AE grease to use on the metal balls as per the directions. Saw nothing in there, and based on what I have seen on here, is that all I need to lube in the differential? I have not put anything else in there, just wanted to make sure before I really messed something up. Also got the front end taken apart and cleaned up. Looks much better now.

Before:

After:

While cleaning, I discovered that the lower mounts for the shocks were missing some kind of insert, which I think I found in the spares bo, just need to add them. Have also found that one of the original front wheels is warped, and one of the spokes is broken. Hate that, so will have to get some kind of wheels for it now. Thanks for looking, now to clean up the rear of the car.

fireguy14
Approved Member

Post by fireguy14 »

Got it done:

Very pleased with the way it looks now that it is all clean. Definitely considering an ESC, as it is quite cramped in that tub now! Plus the other benefits of ESC. Just need to figure one out that will work with the electronics in it. Can't wait till tomorrow to see if perfomance has improved any with the cleaning. Got the body and a couple other pieces ordered today, hopefully it will have a body shell real soon!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I'd start with something simple like this.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAMN7&P=SM

Cleaned up nicely! :D If you want to take it a small step further.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14978
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

fireguy14
Approved Member

Post by fireguy14 »

Thanks for the info! That ESC looks right up my alley for sure. The whitening tip I had been reading about here, but opted not to try it yet. Looks like I will be sometime in the future!

AndrewSi
Approved Member

Post by AndrewSi »

Nice car and cleanup! I would probably ditch the white connectors for both the battery and motor too. Get some deans t plugs or similar connector for better reliability and a little more power.

fireguy14
Approved Member

Post by fireguy14 »

Thanks for the heads up on the connectors! Wheels are back off the car and cleaned again. Waiting for a dunk in peroxide tomorrow. Took it out for a test run tonight, maybe a little better than before. Especially after I readjusted the motor. Seems the screws were not tight enough and the motor rocked forward binding up the transmission! Thankfully I caught it before it could do any damage. Still have an issue with a brush wanting to hang in its hood. Not sure if it is dirt/grime in there or what. Sanded a tad on the other and it works much better. The motor appears to be the original in the kit TA motor. Wish there was a way to get it apart, and back together again. Also trying to figure out which battery to use.

cochecito

Post by cochecito »

Super nice clean up man ¡¡

fireguy14
Approved Member

Post by fireguy14 »

Thanks! Been spending so much time working on this one and the other I just got have not been on the computer too much. Really like how this one is running. Got a new body for it last week, just need to get it painted. Also ordered a new Duratrax reversible ESC for it today.