Anyone into R/C boats

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Anyone into R/C boats

Post by Lowgear »

You wanna see a boat? I'll show you a boat! I found a picture of the one I was building.
Expresscraft Thundercat.jpg

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.... just wanted to update it with some pictures of my boat that I finally ran for the first time a couple of weekends ago. Its been one of those projects where I've just done a little bit at a time - its even sat on one of the spare desks at work & i've done small bits to it during lunchtimes 8)

Externally i've given the boat a minor facelift - repainting the driver/navigator figures & adding some new Kyosho decals. Beneath the hatch I've added a cheap chinese waterproof ESC with slow reverse & watercooling for the motor... adding the cooling coil around the motor necesitated the use of a new motor mounting bracket - that I made to suit the boat. Anyway I must say it goes really nicely - not massively fast, but fast enough for it to be interesting... & it seems to handle well too.

Here's some pics & a special thanks to Jedi Master for the FOC Hockey tape that I made sure I used for this first 'launch' :wink:

Electrics install

Motor bracket I got waterjet cut

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Right now I have a sailboat a tug boat and a giant PT109 that I love! Had many speed boats over the years but lost interest after a few minutes of running!

The sailboat I find is fantastic! Just trying to find the best angle in the wind tacking! Great fun! Very relaxing!

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I had a shockwave 26 early this summer and was frustrated with set-up and tried to go brushless but the hull was just too small for what I wanted to install.
So I picked up Impulse 26" with 31" running gear. on 4s this thing is a blast.

Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

I never really had any interest in R/C boats until I saw them ripping around the pond at RCX this year. :shock:
Now I want a boat :lol:
Even my g/f wants one! To me, that sounds like a good excuse to buy one. :D
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

slapshot1979 wrote:I had a shockwave 26 early this summer and was frustrated with set-up and tried to go brushless but the hull was just too small for what I wanted to install.

This looks great!!! I've just done a search on the Impulse & it would appear that in standard trim it is a very similar specced boat to my Kyosho? I must admit that there is something quite addictive & satisfying about the way a V-hulled boat moves about in the water - the flat cornering of a catermeran/twin hull boat doesn't seem to 'cut-it' for me :|

P.S; looks like you could shorten your aerial tube somewhat! :wink:

@ Slotcarrod; I can see that shooting about the pond with a speed boat can after a while have limited appeal... & the idea of a sailboat does sound more involving, whilst being relaxing at the same time 8)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

I've had a couple of boats too... the sailboat is gone (booooooring) and right now I only have this one left (the yellow one) - does this count

right now it runs on 3S lipos with a 120A controller and a 3300kv and custom made water cooling and coupler... Problem is, there's a water intake somewhere that I can't locate and it drives me craaazy grrr!

If I pin the throttle Darcy (that's the name of the figure Kyosho gives the doll) barrel rolls around the prop right away :mrgreen: '

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I have a few boats. Some I don't have pictures of but here are a few that I do

pro boats Mahoghany runabout. This is a nice boat but I found the water was causing delamination of the wood over the hull. I need to put on a thick coat of varathane before running it again

A Nitro Black Jack 26" I've never run

Riva Aquarama static model ready to convert to R/C. I bought all the stuff to do this conversion, just hasn't made it to the priority list

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Stunning models as always Shodog!!

P.S; I think your 'Mahogony Runabout' needs a driver figure... I looks like a ghost boat in that photo :D

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Wow Jim that orange pair is fantastic!!!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

I've got a boat project in progress too. It's an Italeri 1/35 Scale PT Boat that I've converted to R/C. Since this was originally a static model I had to pick out my own running hardware and test everything to ensure the boat would function as planned. This boat will have well over four hundred individual scale pieces! The guns are models themselves. I've had to scratch build many parts to correct inaccuracies of the boat and also to hide the running gear from view. This project is currently on hold but I thought I would show it off. :mrgreen:

You can see the whole build here:
http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30647

The running gear I selected: Graupner gear driven single screw shaft with 2:1 gear ratio. Traxxis Titan motor and Airtronics FM surface radio. Speed control is a digital LRP waterproof unit with reverse. One 7.2 volt 1700 nimh.

Rudders are solid brass. I designed the rudders so that all three steer in unison with one servo.

I built an inner frame from balsa and constructed water tight compartments. It's unsinkable.(Famous last words) :mrgreen:

Early testing.

To keep things simple and robust I used one main drive shaft for propulsion and left the other shafts as static only pieces.

The gaudy paint scheme is know as Measure 31. A disruptive pattern camo that works great against the jungle. Not so great for camo against enemy aircraft frome above.

Much work to do here.

Hundreds of tiny brass parts to glue on still. Then theres all the rigging. :shock: ANd that's why I took a break and started messing with R/C cars again. :mrgreen:

Brass gun barrels.

The real PT 596.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

DerbyDan wrote:
slapshot1979 wrote:I had a shockwave 26 early this summer and was frustrated with set-up and tried to go brushless but the hull was just too small for what I wanted to install.

P.S; looks like you could shorten your aerial tube somewhat! :wink:

:lol: :lol: first time ive EVER heard that :lol: :lol:

had it up to the cottage this past weekend and developed a water leak thru cooling jacket of ESC but with a dock full of guys watching, plugged the intake and sparked up 4s :D smiles allaround. took it to a decent temp then shut er down for the weekend.

Some Very nice examples guys. I have been eyeing a runabout build for a few winters and have yet to do it......someday
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

oldstuffrules
Approved Member

Post by oldstuffrules »

Nice boats posted up here, I'll throw mine into the mix...pretty much a stock Miss Elam by ProBoat.

Only changes so far have been to go to a bigger prop and to seal up the giant hole at the rear of the hatch...

This boat introduced me to brushless motors and the amazing capabilities of lipo batteries!

I know I feel relieved when I get it back to dry land without incident...need to at least get a fishing pole just in case.
Back at again because of a phone call..."Hey, how do you adjust those old Novaks?"
I have a RC channel on YouTube too...take a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuAS9eDBj_wSIyl4JakUIzA Thanks :)

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

The best rescue boat I've found for getting stranded boats is one of these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMPG3**&P=ML

I have one similar that came with a bolt on front used to push a ball around the pool but it also works well for pushing a stranded boat in

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

the guys I run with use a RC Duck. Ive seen it listed but dont know how to link it. impeller drive duck with duckling in tow with fishing line. simple drive around the boat and the line will snag something on your boat. pull it in.
total LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: