KO Propo CX-II ESC

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Winger
Approved Member

KO Propo CX-II ESC

Post by Winger »

I am wondering if the output of this ESC is enough to fire up an '85 trinity world champ or an old twister motor? I could not find anything on this ESC. If I could get the old RC10 running lively on one of these motors I would be happy as a lark.

Also curious what would be a good battery pack to use with this setup? I want to avoid the "generic" cells/packs. What are some quality pack brands these days. EDIT: I picked up a Venom 7.2v 4200maH NiMH, hope this is good for the setup.

Thanks for any suggestions.

This guy is claiming it was in the '86 Worlds winning car: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2428539/anchors_2428539/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2428539

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Re: KO Propo CX-II ESC

Post by Mad Racer »

I used 2 of these throughout the 86 season in mod.

I was running a 19t mod motor in my Mid. All I can say is old electronics don't like being used in my opinion. They always blow up way to easily with any other motor than a silver can 540. I wouldn't use it is my advice.

Hope this helps.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

You are absolutely correct about the gremlins living inside these. When I first hooked power to this thing it was dead to the world. I took it apart and wiggled gently on the components and it started working. :lol:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

ESC's bitd were expensive and designed with the racer in mind... and the racer didn't use silvercans ;) So *IN THEORY* you could run mild mods from bitd on pretty much every esc from bitd with any kinda battery from bitd :)

Now when you factor in component wear, smooth and grippy tracks, increased current flow from the batteries, grippier tires, old-skool speedoes do get a beating when ran like if it was 1985.

In other words: assuming your cx2 still works, don't go anywhere hotter than a vintage 20-something turn mill :) And check your connectors to find that electrical gremlin of yours. Also make sure your transmission spins free and you use a reasonable gear ration (err on the low- rather than high-gearing side)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

And Masami ran a race-grade CX1 in Romsey... I think the CX2 is more hobby-grade btw ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

I have an CX-II ESC laying here from the past what I got for repair. The case was melting somewhat as the FET´s are very low quality and heat up easily because of high resistance, the brake is using small bipolar transistors (no FET) and braking power is so low it´s actually not existing.
I think good for the showcase but not for using in a car.

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

I found the manual to the KO Propo radio which shows this ESC as an option for the "expert racing" version of the radio. Nothing on the specs of the ESC and it's output. Guess I will see what happens when I get the new battery. I do remember getting a very inexpensive ESC when I was a kid and how much it reduced output to the motor.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I ran one of these old ESC's back in the day with a stock motor. Now I was not the most well set up racer out there. My batteries were hobby grade and my gear was lower end (a kid has to start somewhere :roll: ). Anywho, the CXII wasn't the best esc for serious competition and wasn't that highly rated when compared to the CXI and CXIII. I do have some stats on this esc in one of my old magazines and they weren't very impressive for the time.

Oh, and yeah I blew mine up before too long :oops:

TEKIN used to have great stuff back then (and still do), they seem to sell at bargain rates on eBay all the time. I'd go that route if you want to hit the track with an old school esc.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980