Ok Who has Insurance for their collection????

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Ok Who has Insurance for their collection????

Post by Mad Racer »

I subject that I want to ask. Do you have insurance for your R/C cars???.

Lets face it we all have a collection. Some more then others but it's all worth $$$$$$. R/C is small & easy to get knocked off. So to me I insured my collection. How much is the hard part. As soon as you say vintage the policy goes up. I have my collection insured for 20K . I feel its about right but that's at todays low prices due to the GFC.

What have you done??
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Re: Ok Who has Insurance for their collection????

Post by 3trxvintage »

Sounds like a good idea if you have a large collection valued at maybe 10,000 or more. I only have a collection of six cars valued at less than 1,000, so insurance would not be a good idea for me.

Just out of curiosity how large is your collection? :mrgreen:

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

whats funny was my lady and I where talking about this just the other day
and she was saying that if something was to happen to me, she told me she wouldnt know what to do.
I dont have a insurance policy on my collection never even looked into it
i have alot of cars in my collection upwards of 25+ and parts thats just rc cars than you add in all the rc airplanes / upwards 50 plus vintage slot cars and numerous other things i have collected over the years
i guess if you or we, are going to, are! have a seriuos collection of unreplaceable cars than the investment for information on a insurance policy would be a action we should take
just wondering and i think there was a thread somewhere else on this subject
what are some of the steps that you have told your spouse/loved one to do about/with your collection if something was to happen to you
farmer
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I too have insurance against theft, loss and fire as a special rider on my home owners insurance policy as a per vehicle case, and a total loss scenario- like classic cars to me, there is too much time and money in this hobby at certain levels not to.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I too have insurance against theft, loss and fire as a special rider on my home owners insurance policy as a per vehicle case, and a total loss scenario- like classic cars to me, there is too much time and money in this hobby at certain levels not to.
OUCH!!!!!!! I would not wanna be Reg's Insurance Man,or was that Lourd's of London :shock: :mrgreen:

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

3trxvintage wrote:Sounds like a good idea if you have a large collection valued at maybe 10,000 or more. I only have a collection of six cars valued at less than 1,000, so insurance would not be a good idea for me.

Just out of curiosity how large is your collection? :mrgreen:

To me it's not about the size of your collection but the quality of your cars & condition. I have a lot of Tamiya's compared to other makes. As we all know Tamiya's are common & aren't as valuable as lets say Kyosho, Schumacher, PB, Yokomo & early RC10"s.

The condition of which you maintain them if they are runners ( I have only around 20 shelfers) You might have other aspects to your hobby like Farmer said, vintage slot cars, Modern race set up like I have a Kyosho MP9 with all the good gear. There is 3k sitting there if you had to replace it. It all adds up & very quickly.

I have a seperate policy for my rc stuff but you can add it on to your exsiting policy . ( the biggest thing a learnt is you need photo's of every thing to claim) Even better if you can prove it's your pic's & not of the net. ( Like most of cars have MAD RACER decals on them) My initials.

Pic's are so important for any insurance claim.

Funny Farmer. My partner asked me to write a list of every model with its spec's and how much I think it's worth in case I kick the bucket So she can sell them & get what they are worth :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I said I want all my cars burried with me. "He who dies with the most toys wins" :lol: :lol:
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The tough thing for my insurance company was the appraisal portion. I had to research and document everything, and have to every other year too.

Also, I have left specific instructions upon my rapid departure from my collection- where a few models go, and who here is in charge of getting her top $$ for the rest of it

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

This was my garage and house a year ago next month. Total loss. I didn't have a huge collection but the few I did have in there were sentimental (read "no value"). The hardest part was sitting down and trying to remember what was there, how I paid for it, and when. I am still doing this and will be until our year we are allowed for claims is up. You find out real quick how good your insurance company is. Our SUCKS. We shouldnt have to fight for things that we had like hardwood floors (see second pic lol). And yes, we had replacement coverage (a joke) and paid for code update (still fighting that one too). They also would not give us a copy of our policy for several attempts and weeks after the fire. We literally went in to the office and they said we could not obtain a copy. In short, if you have Country Mutual insurance, you might want to look over your policy real close. It may be a bad experience to have a total loss, but the real salt in the wound is dealing with a company like Country Mutual.

BTW, we arent that messy, that was the fire dept!

Total loss. Just the floor remained.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

Total loss. Just the floor remained.

Ouch!!! :cry:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

wow, sorry to hear that man....

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

That fire and pics are really eye opening. I agree that trying to remember everything after the fact and documenting it would prove difficult.

I think for us mere mortals (not Reggie!) good homeowner's insurance should cover us reasonably but again it will probably come down to documentation. And in the scheme of things, loss of your home, jewelry and other valuables, possibly your vehicles if the garage goes up in flames, etc will likely dwarf most RC car values except for a few special cars. And on the special ones, proving value will be very difficult to an adjuster (ebay does not prove or set values conclusively).

Now in Reggie's case I think there's much more at stake and it sounds like he's gone to considerable length (and continues to maintain the documentation) to impress upon his insurance agent what the financial impact would be from a total loss.