The Official "What is it?" Thread

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DHood
Approved Member

Re: The Official "What is it?" Thread

Post by DHood »

What is this tank from? Has a internal spring for the cap

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

I wanna say it looks like a kyosho 1/8 scale but can't find the pix I'm thinkin of right off hand to validate my guess :? . Pry wrong anyway :oops:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

sheriff wrote:Here you go Charliedon't......
nope, no KO link, true mtroniks proprietary stuff - entry-level ESC judging by the FET vacant slots ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

SG Racing? I'm assuming that's who produced this since that is the only name on the chassis, but I'm having trouble finding further info since most search engines limit terms as short as "SG".
anyone got further info/links to this sort of chassis?

Picked it up for next to nothing since it's in poor shape. (Pardon the dust, I haven't bothered cleaning this thing yet) Sadly the chassis is cracked, and I'm assuming there's another crack hiding under the black tape....
The chassis seems to be lexan, and I could make a copy of it pretty easily if can find the time. I'd like to find some pics of mint originals though so I know what holes and cuts were factory, and what's been hacked over the years.
Anyone out there have further info, pics, links, etc??

Thanks in advance! :D
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

SG Gemini ? perhaps - I get a bit confused sorry

I know Graupner sold a version I think it had the moniker SLX as well, and came with a Schkee style body. Had red wheels

Kind of like this: http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1148-Schkee-DB-1-Chevrolet%20V8

-Maurice

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Looks like a Gemini SLX to me. Nice car, Phil Greeno in the UK designed it and released it as the Greeno Gemini SLX, but later, as he was an SG 1/8th driver, it was released under the SG brand too. I'd have to look at some of my old magazines, but the SG version looks like the cutouts are slightly different.

Paul.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

SG coyote is another car you can find info about here on the forum.
I believe it was an Italian company.
I still have some parts of a pancar from them with GF chassis, same bumper as in the pic. That one was sold in a ROBBE box and came with a choice of either schkee or bmw M1 body

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Mr. ED wrote:SG coyote is another car you can find info about here on the forum.
I believe it was an Italian company.
I still have some parts of a pancar from them with GF chassis, same bumper as in the pic. That one was sold in a ROBBE box and came with a choice of either schkee or bmw M1 body
SG for Sabattini Garofali, the name of the two guys behind the company... Garofali later went on to found BMT if I'm not mistaken. Two of the best RC engineers of the 70's and 80's, some of their stuff became RC standards (one still talks about an SG crank for instance for all the 3.5cc cranks we use today that are threaded at the base)

about the car itself, the bible - Achim Schulz's site

http://www.rc-car-museum.de/1_12_Modelle_aus_aller_Welt/Italien_-_SG/SG_Gemini_SLX/sg_gemini_slx.html

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Thanks Paul, now I know I have about half left of an SG prosso expert :D

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Very cool! Thanks for the info, and for the link to the rc museum. I'm off to translate the page now. :D

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

DHood wrote:What is this tank from? Has a internal spring for the cap

kyosho turbo burns tank.
jerzi

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

j-sou wrote:SG Racing? I'm assuming that's who produced this since that is the only name on the chassis, but I'm having trouble finding further info since most search engines limit terms as short as "SG".
anyone got further info/links to this sort of chassis?

Picked it up for next to nothing since it's in poor shape. (Pardon the dust, I haven't bothered cleaning this thing yet) Sadly the chassis is cracked, and I'm assuming there's another crack hiding under the black tape....
The chassis seems to be lexan, and I could make a copy of it pretty easily if can find the time. I'd like to find some pics of mint originals though so I know what holes and cuts were factory, and what's been hacked over the years.
Anyone out there have further info, pics, links, etc??

Thanks in advance! :D
Where did you find a car like this? It is a very rare car usually raced in Europe around 1981/1982 on slippery tracks. Not suited for highgrip tracks. The chassis is not complete, there are links missing at the top of the chassis before the rear axle.

This is a picture of a new car so you can see those links.

There were two versions of this car. The original car was designed and made by Phil Greeno indeed. Later he sold all of the design, tools and parts to SG which made the SG Gemini then.

If you know both cars, you will see they look the same but actually are very different in details. I think just the frontend and wheels are really the same.

Regarding chassis yes it´s made from 2mm Lexan. Those chassis were breaking or bending easily in a crash. I also had this happen at my Schumacher XL car (similar to this Gemini) that time so was making my own chassis afterwards.
Attachments
Gemini_Lexan.jpg

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

V12 wrote: Where did you find a car like this? It is a very rare car usually raced in Europe around 1981/1982 on slippery tracks. Not suited for highgrip tracks. The chassis is not complete, there are links missing at the top of the chassis before the rear axle.

This is a picture of a new car so you can see those links.

There were two versions of this car. The original car was designed and made by Phil Greeno indeed. Later he sold all of the design, tools and parts to SG which made the SG Gemini then.

If you know both cars, you will see they look the same but actually are very different in details. I think just the frontend and wheels are really the same.

Regarding chassis yes it´s made from 2mm Lexan. Those chassis were breaking or bending easily in a crash. I also had this happen at my Schumacher XL car (similar to this Gemini) that time so was making my own chassis afterwards.
I got this car locally from a guy I buy stuff from occasionally. Actually meeting him in a couple hours to pick up some vintage Monster Beetle hop ups. I have no idea where he got it from, but it's probably been buried at his place for 20 years.
I noticed the rear upper links were missing when looking at the links people had provided me with. I've got some period correct parts I can use to recreate those. Right now the plan is to reproduce 2 or 3 of these chassis. I've got it drafted out as flat, will cut it when the material gets here, and outsource the bending to a friend who can do it properly. I could do it all in house if I made it out of aluminum, but I want to do it the right/original way. It's such a cool car, and will look great when restored! It would be nice to find an NOS chassis to use, but what are the chances of me finding one of those??? :shock:

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

V12 wrote: Regarding chassis yes it´s made from 2mm Lexan. Those chassis were breaking or bending easily in a crash. I also had this happen at my Schumacher XL car (similar to this Gemini) that time so was making my own chassis afterwards.
They also suffered badly if tyre additive was accidently spilt on the chassis. If i remember it made them very brittle?

Paul.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Holy cow...someone is selling one of those lexan cars with a rocket motor on it. No, seriously. EBay # 251106450896

It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website