Help with shipping unrelated product from US to Canada

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Help with shipping unrelated product from US to Canada

Post by Coelacanth »

Hi guys, hopefully someone can help...there's a product I'm looking for that's near-impossible to find in Canada, and the places that stock it (but are out of stock), seriously overcharge for it. It's called Plasti Dip. An outfit that sells this product very cheap is http://www.dipyourcar.com; the product page here:

Black Spray:
http://s384403007.e-shop.info/shop/category_2/PlastiDip-Spray.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26

Glossifier Spray:
http://s384403007.e-shop.info/shop/article_16/Glossifier.html?shop_param=cid%3D7%26aid%3D16%26

Here's what irks me...it sells for about $8 a can in USA, but the same site has a "dipyourcarcanada" link and the guy there sells the same thing for $15 a can! :o Even more outrageous, Home Hardware is supposedly a retailer (though the 3 places I checked were all sold out) and they sell it for $17.99 a can (Edmonton) and incredibly, $22.99 a can (Canmore)!!! WTF??! :shock:

Maybe it has something to do with air shipping of pressurized goods or some silly thing, but I was hoping one of our American brothers could pick up 2 of the black & 1 glossifier and ship to me. I've had Pactra paints shipped from USA to Canada so I don't see what the problem is...or why the insane price hike. :?

Thanks!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Re: Help with shipping unrelated product from US to Canada

Post by Mindwarp »

Yeah, it's expensive. I got some at Home Hardware in Kingston for about $20 I think. In fact, I have a brand new can of yellow dip in my truck.

Goatless
Approved Member

Post by Goatless »

Is this something I can find locally or are you wanting someone to purchase it online and be a middle man? Either way, I'm game man.
"I'm like the fat girl at the prom, just glad to be here!!!

Southern Fried Racing : The Sequel

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Just curious - what would you be using this for exactly? Seems a bit like fasmask for real cars - I like the idea of the clear one to use as a bra.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Oooohhhhhhhh.... :mrgreen:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Post by Mindwarp »

Of course, I'm just assuming that's what Coel wants to do.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thanks for the vid, Mindwarp, I quite enjoyed it! I've never seen that guy's vids before, he's very entertaining and not the least bit boring. That gave me some ideas, but that's not what I need the Plasti Dip for...I'm doing some aesthetic mods to my Pontiac Torrent...I'll post some pics when finished, but I have to first FIND the stuff at an affordable price. It sells for $8 a can, I just can't justify paying $18 or $22 or whatever here in Canada for it...that's just ludicrous, larcenous, laughable! :P

Klavy69 is going to look for it somewhere locally where he is, see the prices, and if it's cheap enough, ship me 3 cans. I understand shipping aerosols is a problem by air-mail, but I don't see why it can't be shipped surface mail (good ole USPS First Class Mail). I've bought Pactra rattle-cans on eBay from US sellers and they were shipped fine.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

I bought a can of that stuff to coat the front bumper grills on my audi. £15.99. Think that works out around $26.00 us dollars for one can! Consider yourself lucky you don't live in rip-off Britain! :wink: On the plus side it made a lovely job of my grills which now look like new. :)

BrakeTurnAccelerate

Post by BrakeTurnAccelerate »

Any particular reason it has to be Plasti-dip? Unless you aren't planning to have these mods last more than a couple months at most before it starts to look bad, I'd seriously recommend paint, powder coat, or even a vinyl wrap.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

BrakeTurnAccelerate wrote:Any particular reason it has to be Plasti-dip? Unless you aren't planning to have these mods last more than a couple months at most before it starts to look bad, I'd seriously recommend paint, powder coat, or even a vinyl wrap.
I guess you haven't done much research on the product; it's extremely durable. And, unlike paint or powdercoating, you can't just peel it off if you want to change your mind. ;) Do some Google research and you'll learn a few things. :P

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I used aerosol canned Plasti Dip back in the late 90's and it was the worst crap. The problem was they had to thin down the formula in order for it to be sprayable. On top of that, you didn't get much as they had to fill the majority of the can with propellent for it to spray.

I don't know how it is now but I imagine the technology has improved since then to make it better.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Lowgear wrote:I used aerosol canned Plasti Dip back in the late 90's and it was the worst crap. The problem was they had to thin down the formula in order for it to be sprayable. On top of that, you didn't get much as they had to fill the majority of the can with propellent for it to spray.

I don't know how it is now but I imagine the technology has improved since then to make it better.
Indeed it must be better now, Plasti Dip has been around a long time, and was previously only used to re-grip tool handles. It's now getting rave reviews everywhere you look for various automotive applications. Check out the DipYourCar.com YouTube channel, there's a bunch of tutorial vids for all kinds of cool techniques. This is just one, a layered technique with gold Plasti Dip oversprayed with black. Notice how the original gold layer doesn't come off with the tape:

[youtube]WPEzDDul1Zk[/youtube]

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Oddly enough I remember the commercials from when I was younger. Back then they only had 2 colors which were blue or that orange-red. Its really great to see and read all about the advancements they've made with it over the years. :)

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Dip Yo' Whip (or Ride)! :mrgreen:

I'm gonna try the black stuff on the dripguards of my Talon and see how it holds up.

My friend actually just bought a can of black Saturday at out local Lowe's to waterproof his crawler electronics. I think it was $7.99 and black was the only color they had in the can and in spray form.