Can this buggy be raced without spending a fortune?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

Re: Can this buggy be raced without spending a fortune?

Post by RC104ever »

I have so far only used Savox but the servos on Hobbypartz are dirt cheap. I already mentioned the Gens Ace lipos which I have 3 and all have been excellent.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I won't use anything but a Futaba servo personally. For the money the s3305 is a good unit. Tons of torque, medium speed and it would be indestructible in a buggy.

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

RC104ever wrote:I have so far only used Savix but the servos on Hobbypartz are dirt cheap. I already mentioned the Gens Ace lipos which I have 3 and all have been excellent.
Yeah, I like the looks of those Gens LiPo's and the price is right for me as well.
RC10talk.com is like a bad accident, I just can't stop looking at it...

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

PBR Allstar wrote:I won't use anything but a Futaba servo personally. For the money the s3305 is a good unit. Tons of torque, medium speed and it would be indestructible in a buggy.
Well I'm going to need indestructible for sure, lol... My buggy has a Futaba 5148 in it now, but if I can improve on that at a low cost, I'm going to go for it.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

One thing I've learned pretty quickly is that name brands like Futaba while they are most definitely great, there are alternatives which are so much cheaper that for my needs (bashing), there is really no need to pay for a brand name. Some examples are the Fly Sky rx / tx combo I got for 45 bucks for a 2.4 ghz system. Add in a 40 lipo and I'm still cheaper than a Spektrum 2XS with similar functionality. I have seen lots of guys here who have used the hobby wing ESC and motors but I don't have experience with them myself.

For me, I do try to buy the best available in a given price based on other reviews. That was the reason I went with Castle gear and a Savox servo. But, I may try the hobby wing stuff for my T4 since I don't want to blow a lot on it.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

PBR Allstar wrote:I won't use anything but a Futaba servo personally. For the money the s3305 is a good unit. Tons of torque, medium speed and it would be indestructible in a buggy.
x2 on Ford's choice here. Very good servo and will last a long time. I've heard good things about the Savox but have always been a futaba guy so I'll throw some $ to the LHS to get a good one. I've had this 3305 in quite a few 1/8 scale buggys with nothing to complain about :wink: .

I've got quite a few gensace batterys and for the most part are pretty reliable. When Hobbyparts says to check back in 2-3 weeks for a restock is actually closer to 2-3 months so you might just get lucky before you actually need it 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

RC104ever wrote:One thing I've learned pretty quickly is that name brands like Futaba while they are most definitely great, there are alternatives which are so much cheaper that for my needs (bashing), there is really no need to pay for a brand name. Some examples are the Fly Sky rx / tx combo I got for 45 bucks for a 2.4 ghz system. Add in a 40 lipo and I'm still cheaper than a Spektrum 2XS with similar functionality. I have seen lots of guys here who have used the hobby wing ESC and motors but I don't have experience with them myself.

For me, I do try to buy the best available in a given price based on other reviews. That was the reason I went with Castle gear and a Savox servo. But, I may try the hobby wing stuff for my T4 since I don't want to blow a lot on it.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Thanks Chris for the advice, unfortunately I'm going to have to go with affordable and as cheap as I can on this build. If the boss saw this post on my build, she would try to have me banned from this site. :lol: I'll have to wade through this post and all of the fine suggestions you guys have offered and figure out whats most important to get me up and running a good race by this summer. It's a good thing I only have $3.00 invested in the roller so I can afford to spend a few dollars here and there and not be to deep into this deal. I can't wait though, it's going to be so much fun... :P

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

These guys do 5 spoke wheels for the old RC10 1/4" axles that fit 2.2 tyres so if your prepared to wait a week or so for shipping fom the UK its a winner that will save you from buying hubs and cvd's.

http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/products/

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

I am pretty much a futaba guy myself as well... But have been known to use Hitec Servos in my 1/8 scale cars. They are a cheap and reliable servo and you can find them fairly reasonable on Amazon.com

Both of these are decent servos, both are metal gear, each one is the same size, one is high torque, the other is high speed, either one will do what you need it to do:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitec-32625S-HS-625MG-Hi-Speed-Metal/dp/B0006O3X9K/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1335050982&sr=8-43

http://www.amazon.com/Hitec-RCD-Inc-22032043-Torque/dp/B000BOGI6A/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1335051051&sr=8-23
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

Caine wrote:These guys do 5 spoke wheels for the old RC10 1/4" axles that fit 2.2 tyres so if your prepared to wait a week or so for shipping fom the UK its a winner that will save you from buying hubs and cvd's.

http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/products/
Wow, those look pretty nice and a great price on them as well. Thanks for that info, I think I'll order some up.