Slightly different old is new

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cautrell05
Approved Member

Slightly different old is new

Post by cautrell05 »

Tonight was supposed to be just making new rear arm mounts for the frankenbuggy and get that back together so its drivable. Then I thought I would be nice and share the combo for anyone wanting to experiment. Then before it was all done I ended up taknig the front arms off of frankie and the caster blocks off of the WTF buggy and before long I had 3 partially built buggys on the bench. Which reminds me I need to hide two of them before the wife gets home lol. Anyway heres what I came up with.

The chassis is an RPM truck chassis that I havent decided what I am going to do with yet but it was the only unmolested chassis I had so it worked for measurements. The rear mounts are AE 0 degree mounts with traxxas bandit arms. The arms have 2 or 3 degrees of toe built in to them already. The associated mounts were about 3/16 wider than the traxxas arms. A little work with the dremel and I had this.

Actual measurement was 1.21 inches. For whatever reason I had a constant picture of Doc Brown running around yelling about 1.21 gigawats stuck in my head. Possibly a sign I need sleep.
Anyway, on mine I took it all off of the front of the mount to move the arm back so it would line up with the shock tower on frankie. For the stock bulkhead and tower it looks like it would be better to take it off of the back and move the arm ahead. What ever works for you.

Hub carriers are the custom works ones with b4 cvds and wheels.

Up front is a standard 10T/T2 bulkhead with RPM bandit arms again. On the ends are Losi XXX-SCT steering arms and caster blocks modified for associated inline axles.

As it sits the rear is right at 250mm and the front is maybe 252 depending on the tires used. Wheel base is 11 inches. Just thought I would share that with you guys.

Nick

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: Slightly different old is new

Post by Mr. ED »

That looks promissing. I'm gonna keep an eye on this one.

By the way I used similar traxxas rear arms on a buggy I ran a couple times lately and have broken 2 already.
You should probably boil them in some water to make them less brittle.
(the old nyon dries out and becomes brittle)

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

The arms were new last year so they should be ok. Last I checked rpm doesn't make rear arms for the bandit, just fronts. Otherwise I would put them on too. This one is coming back apart do I can put Frankie back together. I had been wondering how the truck chassis would work as a buggy and just threw it together for a visual. I will file it away for a future project though.

Nick

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!! interesting thread.....
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL