Fox (Small Vintage toy from late 80's)

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MrBeno
Approved Member

Fox (Small Vintage toy from late 80's)

Post by MrBeno »

This is a Minature Fox I got as a kid, I am guessing it is from the 87-89 year? I just found it when searching for other rc stuff. It is 4wd and I put the quarter in there so you can see the size of it. I am not sure who made it but it is pretty neat especialy for the detail on the decails and for being over 20+ years. Tomorrow I will add some Double A batteries and see if it runs. There are no markings but they may be where the engine is, I will check tomorrow.

j-sou
Approved Member

Re: Fox (Small Vintage toy from late 80's)

Post by j-sou »

Really cool! Did they make these for other tamiya models as well? A Grasshopper version would be really cool sitting on my shelf next to the 1:10 cars!
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

It's made by Tamiya, 1/32 scale and were called mini 4wd racers. I have the Avante version. They made hop ups for them also. I think they had a grasshopper as well as most of the 1/10 scale cars that were out at that time.
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

MrBeno
Approved Member

Post by MrBeno »

Not to sure, I remember getting it back in the day and doing all the research now. Here are a few links I found. Aparently Tamiy started back in 1982 and introudced the whole mini 4wd. I did see a Grasshopper 3 mini I think, but not sure what year. But check out the links, I want to do more research as well. I also remember reading that the Hotshot was the first (that was from a wiki I think.) But to search I think just google "mini 4wd" with other phrases such as Tamiya, Vintage ect...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_4WD

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/mini4wd_limited/kit94001.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+tamiya+mini+4wd&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5JqDT4vJMoXD0QG4kcnCBw&ved=0CGYQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=805

Cheers

MrBeno
Approved Member

Post by MrBeno »

Yup I just watched this video too. From this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_4WD, "To feed on the high popularity of the cars, Tamiya commissioned Shogakukan, a Japanese publishing company, to produce two anime TV series based on the Mini 4WD cars: Dash! Yonkuro in 1989 by Zaurus Tokuda"

I also just saw the youtube (Kind of long but neat), Clod Buster is in there [youtube]JJaFLCBGXfQ[/youtube]

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

LOL Cute vid, but I think I lost count of how many times I groaned out loud while watching it. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Tamiya, Marui and Kyosho all did some "mini4wd" versions of their best sellers... I have a few at home, Hornet, Boomerang, Ninja, MonsterBeetle... all bought when I was a teen! I can't count the hours I've played with them, what I'd do is remove the tires and make them run on rims on the naked floor at home, and with the "springy" bumper and the drifting rims they'd just bounce endlessly!

Cool toys, good memories!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Can't belive I just sat and watched that whole thing. I do like old Japanese animation though... Anyone remember Hasbro's "Record Breakers"? I had a bunch back in the bay, just recently sold em on the bay. (I think I kept 1) There was even a TV show where they raced on huge tracks back in like '90 or something. That cartoon reminded me of the tracks they had. I raced once at a track they brought to a mall in Cincinnati. Didn't do so good...

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I forgot all about those. I had the Hotshot version. I probably still have it packed away in a box somewhere. Now I'm going to tear the house apart trying to find it. I had foam tires, different gears, and a different motor for mine. I used to make jumps for it out of card stock. They don't have suspensions though and don't fly but that wasn't the point. I had tons of fun with it.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store