4wd RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: 4wd RC10

Post by jwscab »

at some point, you use enough parts from another buggy, then why not just use the chassis too, and now BAM, you have that other car anyway....

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

lexus-5 wrote:Wonder how hard it would be to cannibalize say a Yokomo YZ10 and mount on a RC10 ?
Ding ding ding, there is your winner- IMHO

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

shodog wrote:If a company that has the resources to do it, decides not to then you know its just not worth it. There are plenty of fantastic purpose built 4wd buggies out there. The reason the mip kits are popular now is their rareity and exhorbitant cost back in the day. Everything is just a copy or hack job

But how many companies have actually attempted to do it? Maybe one or two? We all know it could easily be done based on the other parts that are currently produced in this day and age...3D plastic printing, more exotic materials, etc. But since the Legend kit won't make millions from profits like aftermarket Slash parts, no one will take the time and effort to reproduce it. :(

And the MIP 4-10 Legend kit was less than $120 back in the early 90's, then less than $100, then about $60 when places were unloading them. So I wouldn't contribute that to the prices they fetch today. If that was the case, a NIB Team Car, even though more were produced, would be worth $2500+ today. It's basically the fact that people selling them use the prices they've seen them sell for to set their prices, whether they're actually worth it of not. So the first person to sell one for $1000+ set the price for everyone else, which is totally unfair whether people are willing to pay that price or not.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

If one were to take the drive train off a YZ10 and bolt it onto an RC10 I'd call the car a hybrid rather than a conversion. I know I suggested it before but even using front arms from another car I think is pushing the limits from conversion into hybrid.

It's unavoidable that a 4wd will need things like new caster hubs, steering knuckles, belts, gears/pulleys, and drive shafts, and since those parts will just mimic the design of already existing parts it's just more practical for a DIY'er to harvest parts from a modern car rather than have them custom fab'ed every time you need a replacement. What would keep the project a conversion instead of a hybrid is the parts and designs you create specifically to adapt those parts onto an RC10.

covell2
Approved Member

Post by covell2 »

What does the front diff look like on a MIP conversion? I was just thinking that taking an already existing conversion, the 410 legend , and copying the parts would be easier than trying to figure out what parts would and would'nt work. The whole reason for the original post was I was looking for something different but still in the spirit to run at the vintage nations. I know that a yokomo would be the easier way out but I always wanted a mip 410 back in the day.