Newbie with a basket case RC10 project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Re: Newbie with a basket case RC10 project

Post by TitleSeventeen »

those would have to drop everything pretty substantially for it to fit. I dono. Just irritated right now. I'm kind of thinking the A&L stuff would fit much easier.

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Post by TitleSeventeen »

enough whining from me. some progress.

new oil in all the shocks, all were still full of old nasty oil except one, that leaked from the top seal. Turns out the B4 rebuild kit seems to work on these older shocks quite well.

cleaned the rest of the parts give or take, got a few odds and ends done. Turns out my Futaba ESC was junk. ended up buying a used LRP for now. Not exactly as old as I would have liked but it will do for now. Just discovered Dean's connectors, why I never gave them any mind before I do not know, what awesome little things.

Finally got the rear axle I needed and was able to finish assembling the rear suspension, had a set of street tires of some sort should be good for now on the rear as the originals were worn out and the foam was all gross and clumped up now. I plan on doing most of my driving on pavement for the time being anyhow.

getting to the point where its mostly done. Still need to find a motor for it yet. as much as I want to run a vintage motor, I also want to run the car and I think I'd feel bad beating up on something that is in pretty limited supply. I may see what sort of 19+ turn motors I can get for a reasonable price yet (19 being the minimum for 1/10th off road electric stock class per the local tracks website). Need to figure something out with the steering yet. Looking like the repro A&L rack is most likely to fit the gold pan without hitting on everything, anyone know for sure?

anyhow, pictures:

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Nice Car. Nice job. Now it won't be long before you tweak another one for your stable. 8)
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Post by TitleSeventeen »

Funny you mention that. There is a early... looks like a Cadillac car on my local CL for about $100 with the box that is tempting me. I like the black plastics, but the white plastics are really cool too.

Picked up a new Venom 19turn motor yesterday, Should have it installed this evening once I get some motor capacitors for it. I hope the new bellcranks get here soon. That is all I need for it to be able to drive.

Also just how much resistance should I get from the diff? it feels like it is rather tight. I adjusted it per the manual (all the way down then 1/8th to 1/4 turn back) if not a little looser and it feels like there is quite a bit of resistance when turning the wheels. As far as I can tell everything is right.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

If you hold the spur gear and turn one wheel the other wheel should rotate in the opposite direction. If it feels smooth then you should be OK. You don't want it too loose or it will slip and that is not good.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Post by TitleSeventeen »

it is smooth, just feels like some resistance to it where my gear diff cars seem to have next to no resistance in how they move, this is also my first ball diff car so perhaps its just me not being used to it.

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Post by TitleSeventeen »

:mrgreen: It runs, it drives! Quite possibly the first time since the 90s!

I need to get some pictures up. Not much left now.

For some reason the A&L rack I am using rubs ever so slightly on the left side but not the right. I think the washer I am using under the mounting point is thicker on the left then the right should be easy once I get a few thinner washers.

my dinosauric nicad is a weak point for sure, need to get some new batteries.

Now how to paint the body up??

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Very Nice Build.....NOW go have fun..... :mrgreen:

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Post by TitleSeventeen »

Out of curiosity what is a fair price what looks to be a early Cadillac rc10 all white plastics, early front arms, 6 gear a AE stock motor and "some old novak ESC",the box and instruction manual, no tires but otherwise complete. Chassis looks pretty scratched up on the bottom, worse then my CE is but not overly bad. I am courting the idea of picking up another.

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Post by TitleSeventeen »

ok, here be the pictures to go along with it:

nice new pinion and spur, i don't need any sort of lube on these do I?

you can sort of see where the tie rod hits, not bad but I should be able to take care of it pretty easy.

well my one nicad just totally bit the dust today, gona order some new batteries, thinking of going with a couple 3000mah LiIons.

Anyone have some good pictures of the CE boxart cars? I think I'd like to do mine up like one of those.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Cool, good work 8) What motor did you end up grabbing some kind of Orion?

If the ball ends are a bother, you have the option of upgrading to the Dubro 4-40 swivel links :D Kinda pricey IMO, but I like them.
-Kevin
du497.jpg
du497.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
du497.jpg
du497.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
-Kevin

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Post by TitleSeventeen »

I went with a el cheapo Venom 19d. So far I am unimpressed, but I'll reserve judgement for after I get some decent batteries in it. If anything its a good starter motor I can graduate from once I get to know the car better.

is there any sort of special turnbuckle wrench to adjust the endlinks?

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I've never used any Venom motors mostly Trinity & Reedy. It will probably work fine for a while until you want it to go faster :mrgreen:

Turnbuckle wrenches... yes there's 4 that work with old skool rc10's that I've used from bottom to top... the old Asso metal standard version, the newer Asso version, the newer Asso composite version and the Dubro version that works with the older Asso turnbuckles (I added the "grip" on it, it doesn't come like that) There's probably more fancy anno'd versions, I just haven't used them. The composite works the worst since it gets worn easily however it doesn't scratch the turnbuckles up.
-Kevin
tools.jpg
tools.jpg (184.86 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
tools.jpg
tools.jpg (184.86 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
-Kevin

TitleSeventeen
Approved Member

Post by TitleSeventeen »

CamplinP wrote:Nice Car. Nice job. Now it won't be long before you tweak another one for your stable. 8)
About that.... I been casually looking at early gold chassis cars on and off. But last night picked up a B3 Team car, too good a deal, could not pass it up 100% complete, bunch of spare parts, bearings, spare control arms. some kind of aftermarket yellow wheels with the white ones included in the original box, manuals, etc. Seems to have some entry level electronics in it. A Orion motor of some kind, 75mhz Futaba magnum. Can't wait to see how it runs. I may or may not go brushless on this one at some point. I kinda like the idea of having a old and newer one.

As for the CE, it runs great, maybe too good as it keeps blowing the rear tires off the wheels (2.2 tires on 1.9 wheels) I have a set of the JC Racing wheels on the way, probably another week or 2 before those get here from the UK and some Losi tires. Body is sent out for a boxart paintjob, that should be done mid June.

I've never broken in a RC motor before, is that something I should do on the new motor I put in the CE?

I may just have enough spare parts and radio equipment to resurrect my battered Kyosho Raider now, look what you guys did to me! :lol: