Fireblade: mixed Edition

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

adam lancia
Approved Member

Fireblade: mixed Edition

Post by adam lancia »

Here's a Fireblade that I picked up locally a few years ago. I've always thought Schumacher offroad buggies looked awesome, especially the ones with the way laid down shocks. As the title states, I've been at this one with some off brand parts, mainly B4 front and rear hubs in order to make my life easier and less expensive when it finally comes time to run it. Remarkably, the front steering spindles bolt right on without any trouble, not even any bump steer. I think I used T4 front axles going by how much more the hex sticks out of the spindle. This brings the front width right out to max with B4 front wheels. The bellcranks have bearings (1/8 x 1/4, same as on a B4, ha!) and I installed a low profile servo rather than the somewhat funky standard mounting method. In the rear I used Losi hubs along with B4 CVD's. This brings the rear width out to max plus it gets rid of the rear hexes (I can't stand conical friction-fit hubs). The only drawback to that is I also got a bunch of rear wheels with 14mm hexes sitting in storage now. That's about it. Can anyone point me in the direction of instructions for the Vari-Shocks? Would be much appreciated, thanks!

And now, for you, pics, yes!
Attachments
Modified Fireblade (B4 Parts F&R) (7).JPG
Modified Fireblade (B4 Parts F&R) (6).JPG
Modified Fireblade (B4 Parts F&R) (5).JPG
Modified Fireblade (B4 Parts F&R) (4).JPG
Modified Fireblade (B4 Parts F&R) (3).JPG
Modified Fireblade (B4 Parts F&R) (2).JPG
Modified Fireblade (B4 Parts F&R) (1).JPG

CAT3K
Approved Member

Re: Fireblade: mixed Edition

Post by CAT3K »

I've always liked racing my Fireblades, they were great handling when set up well.

The front end was always a weak point for me when racing though, so replacing the hubs with B4 items is always going to be better (I seemed to have a knack for snapping the pivot pins..)

Here's the instructions for the vari-shocks : http://www.racing-cars.com/images/Technical_Info/Schumacher/Old%20Cars/Fireblade%20Evo/Instruction%20Manual/evop02.jpg

Paul.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the instructions! Am I right in remembering that they could be adjusted while assembled?

Have you found any good alternative outdrive/differentials for the Fireblade transmission? That's probably my biggest concern with running it, outdrive wear.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

adam lancia wrote:Hey Paul,

Thanks for the instructions! Am I right in remembering that they could be adjusted while assembled?

Have you found any good alternative outdrive/differentials for the Fireblade transmission? That's probably my biggest concern with running it, outdrive wear.
I don't think you can adjust them without disassembly, but it's very quick to do once opened, you just rotate the piston to open up the desired holes.

As for the outdrives, i have the stock outdrives and cvd's in my Fireblades. With B4 cvd's you might run into a bit of trouble with wear as the standard Fireblades ones have a plastic blade on the dogbone end to spread the load and reduce wear. I'm not sure if the blades will fit your B4 driveshafts but here they are http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Cars_and_Parts/R12/U1918.html

Paul.

moozo
Approved Member

Post by moozo »

Hi
Does anyone know where i can get the servo mounts for the fireblade usa from?
Only needed one for ages now any help i would be grateful..

thanks Mick

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

@ Mick: send me your address and I'll get a couple out to you. Just to be sure, send me a pic of what you need and I'll be sure that's what I have.

@ Paul: OK, good to know. I thought they were like the Kyosho Platinum's. I've got a handful of the blade's too but the drive pins from the B4 CVD's are to big. I'm going to see if I can somehow transplant an entire Stealth diff minus the diff gear, that'll take care of my assumed wear problem. I'll let you know if that works out.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Looks like you've been bitten by the customizing bug lately Adam (thumbs-up icon needed)

I too was allways fund of the laid-down shocks look and even tried it with my utlima pro way back in time. A new shock tower and the bottom end of the shock on the same screw which holds the upper link and Carrier together was what I ended up with. Not a very good CG but wow did I love how the dampning felt. (ok, I was young and had no clue but it felt so cool it had to drive well also :lol: )